Wellington to Sydney in May!

Liezel James

Hi,

I'm not an official South African anymore, but I will also move permanently to Sydney with my boyfriend in May.

I've been in New Zealand the last 9 years working in IT.

I'm originally from Pretoria so I'm looking forward to milder winters in Sydney as opposed to what I've had here in Wellington!!

I'm 33 and Afrikaans and English speaking.

Hope to become more part of this forum in the future!

Cheers,

Liezel

Welcome! What was Wellington like? It's a beautiful place, isn't it? I was quite keen on Wellington at some stage, simply because it looks like such a nice, vibey place. That's until I read that it's supposedly the windiest city in the world - is the wind really that bad?

Welcome! What was Wellington like? It's a beautiful place, isn't it? I was quite keen on Wellington at some stage, simply because it looks like such a nice, vibey place. That's until I read that it's supposedly the windiest city in the world - is the wind really that bad?

Hi,

Wellington is really really windy. No joke! Summer temperatures hardly ever go over 20 degrees and days without any wind is definitely the exception.

Nice and vibey.... maybe on a small-town scale but as a "Pretorianer" I cannot get excited about this place. :-)

Beautiful? Hmmm, well, lets say the botanical gardens and country-side outside the cities of NZ are beautiful but Wellington city is not beautiful, not in my opinion. Don't be fooled by tourist videos and brochures. :rolleyes:

On the other hand though, the Kiwi's here are much friendlier and easier to get along with than my experience in Auckland has been. That may be due to the small percentage of Saffers here in Wellington as opposed to up in Auckland.

Still, I go to say aain that it is really really windy!! It's either a freezing cold southerly, or a milder gusty Northerly - and it goes on throughout the year - winter and summer. :(

Beeing a person sensitive to cold, I can tell you, few things are worse than a Wellington winter in a house with no insulation! Hence my departure to Australia soon!

:lol:

Now I know, thanks! :lol:

Hi,

Wellington is really really windy. No joke! Summer temperatures hardly ever go over 20 degrees and days without any wind is definitely the exception.

Nice and vibey.... maybe on a small-town scale but as a "Pretorianer" I cannot get excited about this place. :-)

Beautiful? Hmmm, well, lets say the botanical gardens and country-side outside the cities of NZ are beautiful but Wellington city is not beautiful, not in my opinion. Don't be fooled by tourist videos and brochures. :rolleyes:

On the other hand though, the Kiwi's here are much friendlier and easier to get along with than my experience in Auckland has been. That may be due to the small percentage of Saffers here in Wellington as opposed to up in Auckland.

Still, I go to say aain that it is really really windy!! It's either a freezing cold southerly, or a milder gusty Northerly - and it goes on throughout the year - winter and summer. :(

Beeing a person sensitive to cold, I can tell you, few things are worse than a Wellington winter in a house with no insulation! Hence my departure to Australia soon!

:(

Welkom Liezel

Jy leer en lag (of andersom) baie op die forum. Ons het 2 maande terug via Auckland in die Gold Coast aangekom. Ek dink die aanpassing was groter van NZ na OZ as van SA na NZ. Miskien is dit dit feit dat ons nie meer "in awe" is van hoe dinge in 'n eerste wereld land werk nie. Ons is dit al gewoond en hier in Qld is die mense definitief meer "laid back". Weet nie hoe NSW se reels is nie, maar ons moes 3 vorms van ID he vir 'n lisensie. Dit was 'n nagmerrie waarvan ons nou wakker is en die heerlike warm weer en WIT sand en regte branders nou geniet.

Wellington is erger as PE.