medical insurance / aid

Markus&Susan

Does anyone have advise on which medical insurer has the best cover and reasonable cost for someone on the 457? We have been here on travel insurance only till now but need to go onto medical insurance from the end of the month. Got a quote from working visa health plans but battling to compare. WE are a family, my daughters have had ear and nose infections n the past and my eldest has needed speec theapy so we can't really take a basic plan, need to be realistic and take a more advanced plan but living on a budget.

Any advise would be welcome!

Susan

You'll find that any cover whilst on a temporary visa is hellish expensive.

Is your employer not prepared to help out a bit?

I have been with Medibank Private since I landed; pretty happy with them.

I know shopping around was a nightmare as there are so many to choose from and it's a minefield having to read (and understand!) everything so carefully.

Good luck

We are with the following one: www.austhealth.com.

They have medical cover specifically for people on working visas, and we found them to have the best prices.

Have also had no issues with them.

Good luck!

I also have to still decide on which medical cover to get. Will all the different options it is difficult to decide which one to go for...

Have a look at www.iselect.com.au - you select what you need and they give you all the different providers and options to best cover your requirements.

Hope it helps!!

• 3 weeks later...

We have IMAN, we took the very basic cover and pay $470 a quarter I think it is. They do have better plans though we just chose a cheap one when I wasnt working etc.

We're on a 457. My company has a corporate rate with MBF, we pay around $350pm for their Corporate Overseas Visitor cover, which meets our needs pretty well. I've been very happy with them, had to claim a couple of hundred dollars for dental and general medical stuff in the last year and they've been a pleasure to work with.

Hard to say who has the "best" cover - they all have their subtle differences. One important thing to note is on a 457 you must specifically have a policy for overseas visitors which is not the same as the standard private medical cover policies provided to permanent residents - it's important to double check this when getting quotes. One of the conditions of a 457 visa is that the visa holder must maintain overseas visitor cover insurance and it is actually an obligation of the employer to ensure that the employee does that (though the law doesn't require the sponsoring company to carry the costs of medical insurance - which I don't actually personally agree with). That's why a lot of companies have special rates with certain providers, though I realise not all do.

I guess it's a case of trying to find the one that provides cover that's the closest match for your needs for the best price - and has good customer service in case you need to claim. I've heard good things about HBF as well.

Edited by zetman

Have a look at www.iselect.com.au - you select what you need and they give you all the different providers and options to best cover your requirements.

Hope it helps!!

iselect does not do overseas visitors health cover,

If you have a yellow Medicare card or a working visa such as a 457 visa, we are unfortunately unable to assist in your search for Private Health Insurance.

Follow the link to get a list of companies that do supply health insurance for temporary vistors private health insurance for overseas visitors

What does it cost if you are on PR and does the age of the person have any influence on the costs involved?????

What about existing conditions? I have high BP and use a few other regular medications..... Will this be covered?

Thanks for any help in advance.

K