Unhappy with job

Willem

Hi

I'll be going on a 2 year sponsorship(457),say I start at my new job and after 6 months I get a better offer from another company or really is unhappy with the job? <_<

I'm I stuck at the company for the 2 years? or what can I do?

Thanks

Willem

Willem

If you are unhappy in your job, you can always applly for another job. But your next employer should be willing to take over your sponsorship (457 visa). You have to re-apply via the DIMIA and this usually takes 2 weeks.

BUT:

If you have signed a contract, it is better to rather work it out because some of the companies can ask you to pay back their sponsorship. Better to apply for PR once you're in Australia. I have stayed on with my employer until I had PR, because a PR visa voids the 457.

Hope this helps.

Madelein

Hi Willem,

Madelein is correct - if you are able to find another employer to take over the sponsorship, then you are able to change employment on your 457. BUT, I would also caution you against making this move too hastily as your sponsoring employer may be able to claim back the cost of sponsoring you. Also, you might find that your employer is willing to sponsor your PR application after the required 2 years - and once you have this you are free to wrok wherever you want.

When I am unhappy with my job, I always think of my previous one, which was always worse.....

Otto,

The above posts are correct. It is not desirable to leave the job and can be costly. Let hem sponsor you for PR and then decide if you want o leave. But rather get there first, you may be pleasantly surprised and never leave. I am also on a 457 and very happy with my employer. They are sponsoring me for PR and we are in the process now. Give it a try and first see. I have foud the Aussie work environment quite OK.