$42 Billion Stimulus Package

Coetzer Family

Hi Guys,

We have heard that on a 457 visa in Oz you are also eligible for the $950 per person which is due to be rolled out, on the $42 billion stimulas package.

Does anyone know if it is true, how does the roll out work?

It makes sense that we are part of the roll out as we are paying tax to the governement whilst working in Australia.

Coetzer Family :lol:

As far as I know it only applies to Permanent residents and citizens. I could be wrong, but the previous handout was only for those on PR and citizens, and only if you earn less than $100 000 p/a. I guess the same rules apply now.

i think anyone who meets the criteria will get this money, ie. you must have been registered as a tax payer for the tax year ended 2007/08

and earn below $100 000 per annum

No I would not think you will receive anything on a 457 visa, we certainly didn't when last years stimulus package went out.

People who receive payment will be registered with centrelink and you have to be a permanent resident to register or have receipted acknowledgement of a p.r. application.

You may well be a taxpayer but are not entitled to any payments on a 457.

Would be nice though, wouldn't it?

Yip Andrea's right. You have to have been registered for family assistance (Family tax benefit B.....I think), as of the 3/2/2009 to qualify. Those of us on 457's can't claim family assistance, so no cash handouts for us.

Would have been nice, I agree.

Candice

Hi again

You are regarded as resident for tax purposes only- applying the 183 day rule- thank goodness otherwise we would all be paying a whack more in tax.

Even with p.r there are waiting periods for some benefits i.e two years for unemployment benefits.

This is to stop greedy foreigners from moving to Oz and living off benefits- have seen this so often in the U.K and my hubby worked with a man from another country whose only ambition in life was to get p.r. and go on the dole!

I am still a little in awe at the support Australians get from their government, even after 3 years of living here.

Where else in the world to you get paid to grow the population!

The $900 bonus is a TAX BONUS, it has nothing to do with family benefits or the like. I can't find anything that excludes 457 holders from being included in this, as long as you were a resident taxpayer in Australia in 07/08 year and you had a tax liability. I guess we will just have to wait and see .....

http://www.treasurer.gov.au/DisplayDocs.as...=&DocType=3

Andrea

I read a report that someone questioned the Treasurer Minister about people that earn less than $15000 for the year not receiving anything, bcecause after rebates and deductions etc they would not have a tax liability. He denied that they would not get anything. But the link above clearly says that only those with a liability will benefit.

The $900 bonus is a TAX BONUS, it has nothing to do with family benefits or the like. I can't find anything that excludes 457 holders from being included in this, as long as you were a resident taxpayer in Australia in 07/08 year and you had a tax liability. I guess we will just have to wait and see .....

http://www.treasurer.gov.au/DisplayDocs.as...=&DocType=3

Andrea

Seems you are right. I've looked on various sites and they all say the same thing with regard to being a resident for tax purposes, which we are. This is good news then ;) at least we'll get the $900 payment.

Thanks for that

Candice

Heard on the radio that the Stimulus package has been approved but the tax office is only giving it out to people who have filled in their 07 & 08 tax returns

Heard on the radio that the Stimulus package has been approved but the tax office is only giving it out to people who have filled in their 07 & 08 tax returns

What Stimulus Package, and how does this affect immigrants? Can you give us a bit more information as to what this is all about?

Well, you probably should have done it by now, but if you have not submitted a return for the 2007-2008 tax year, this is a good reason to to it now. To qualify for the $900, you have to submitted it by the end of June this year.