IMPORTANT CHANGES TO SA VISITORS TO THE UK

Enrica

I received an interesting email regarding the new visa requirement for SA Passport holders to the UK. It had to happen :blink:

From 3 March 2009, South African nationals seeking to visit or transit the United Kingdom will need to obtain a visa before travelling. There will be a temporary exemption to this requirement for those who have previously travelled to the UK in their current passport.

If you are travelling to the United Kingdom for the first time, or if your current passport does not contain evidence previous travel to the UK (i.e., a UK arrival stamp), you will need to apply for a visa.

If you have previously travelled to the United Kingdom using your current passport, you will qualify for the exemption and will not need to apply for a visa during the exemption period.

Please log on to http://www.vfs-uk-za.com/newrules.aspx for information on applying for a visa.

Unfortunately all applicants will have to apply in person due to the Digital Fingerprinting

Please check with your travel agent regarding your visa requirements

Cheers

Enrica

Thanks for this - my inlaws are planning a visit and my mother in law has been recently but not father in law - so we will have to see. It costs £65 for the visa which is not that much in pounds but quite a lot of rands.

This is bloody ridiculous and expensive...

I can understand that it is necessary, But I do think that SA should extend the same courtesy to Brits.. coming to SA.

Can't wait for my Ozzie passport...

joefromsa

It will also be the end of an era for all those South African youngsters who spent a 2 year working holiday (or even longer) in the UK. I want to predict that we may see an increase of applicants in the 20-something age group making a bee-line for Oz or NZ, but only after they obtained relevant qualifications and work experience.

Dax

This is bloody ridiculous and expensive...

I can understand that it is necessary, But I do think that SA should extend the same courtesy to Brits.. coming to SA.

joefromsa

I agree with you Joe, The costs of visas on SA passports is ridiculous. And when you think that all the countries that SA passport holders require a visa for

can enter SA for nothing....this gets to me. The SA government should at least be chgarging these countries USD10.00 to enter SA.

Just think the fortune that could be made for entries into SA , if just the European , American, Australia and UK citizens and passport holders had to pay

USD$10.00 to enter SA for a holiday!!!!

• 3 months later...

For those of you that need to apply for a visa in Australia to visit the UK, please note that the delay time is 1 month

So be prepared.

I have just applied for a UK visa - believe it is 25 to 30 working days, although "they" say different >

post-12735-1243295761.jpg

*edit - and then I open news24 to find this head line

Corruption makes SA passport 'unsafe'

25/05/2009 22:34 - (SA)

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2522113,00.html

Edited by patrice

Corruption makes SA passport 'unsafe'

25/05/2009 22:34 - (SA)

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2522113,00.html

Not really a shock. Carte Blanche had a insert some time ago about how u can buy passports from a veld for as little as

R200-00. Costs extra to have it changed to the new holders details.

Pity though because it gives SA an even worse name!