Computer HDD in hand luggage

dirtbike

I want to take along a computer HDD with alot of info on with me in my hand luggage. Is it a safe option? Would they confiscate it for any reason when I check in? Or should I rather put it in with my normal luggage?

Ok first off are we refering to the actual Hard drive (as in the small 3 1/4 inch device that comes out of the PC) or the entire case (with CPU etc.)

If it's the former I'd say wrap it in an anti static bag and then in foam and pack it in with your check-in luggage. There are special rules for laptops etc. but not for actual components of a PC so you'd run the risk of the X-Ray damaging the drive if taken in hand luggage. Far safer in check-in luggage

We took ours in the hand luggage. We had two. I wrapped it in bubble wrap. Had no problems. Didn't want to risk it going in luggage that can disappear. Both drives are up and still running 6 months later.

I brought in 5 HDD's in total, most packaged in aluminium USB cases and bubble-wrapped, for extra safety. Nobody cared. They were in the carry-on and in the suitcases.

X-Ray won't damage the HDD platters, only strong EMF would.

We have little 100GB laptop drives that you plug in via USB and we had no issue with it in our carry on luggage. I dont remember if we had to take it out seperately like you have to with laptops though.

It is the actual hard drive from my pc. Think I will keep it in hand luggage with my laptop. Just wrap it in anti-static bag like you guys suggest. Was just worried if they find it they might think it is a explosive device or something! I always wondered about the x-ray machine and computer hard drive!!

hi

The X ray units in the airports use a low dose Fluoroscopy for screening, it will do no damage to HDD.

Cheers

Just out of Curiosity....... What if you bring along the big square box? Is there a simple, easy way of doing it?

I don't know what a HDD thingy is and I don't know how to take it out and even saving info on it etc.

Regards

The HDD is the hard drive inside your machine. It contains all your information. That is where you save. You can go to your nearest pc shop or the local high school IT class and ask someone to take it out for you. No big deal, just some screws that need to come out.

i would say: leave your PC case behind and take the harddrive, or even better get yourself a USB-powered one and store everything on there. They are about R2000 for 200GB which should be enough for your personal documents ;-)

The space you save in using these small usb hdd is worth the money spent and they are SOOOOO handy - i cant live without mine.

leave your PC case behind and take the harddrive.

Thanks 4 the advice. Then you put it in a new case when in Aus????

Same model or do they fit in any case?

Sorry but not a technical okie.

Search for '500GB External' or '500GB USB' on www.jump.co.za. These are great options because they can connect to almost anything via a USB interface and they usually come in some sort of protective casing.

Edited by IslandStyle

Hi Hermanpaw

Please remember me when you need to go, will let hubb come help you, it would not be a problem. Just store my name on your to do list and when the time comes, PM me.

Hubby will do with pleasure, will also give you advise for on that side!

Stranded

The IT nerds wife.

Herman, yes you can or you can do like we did. We bought portable 'covers' for our hard drives when we got here. We just put the hard drives in and now we can plug the hard drives in via the USB port. And they are now portable.

Did not know about any of these things. Got my laptop only about 4 months back. Cellphone still the old one without camera and all that goodies.

Thanks to everyone.

"Stranded" , if got you down.

The IT nerds wife.