Back home to Australia

Marius

I recently spend 10 days in China and 4 days in South Korea on business for my work. I have to say, it was GREAT to arrive back in Australia, I realised how much I have grown used to the lifestyle and general standard of living here. We have it pretty good here generally, we tend to not realise it when we get into general life here. A step out made me realise that, into surroundings often not to different from South Africa in many respects. To have proper flat white coffee and sandwich in Sydney when I arrived was the best meal in weeks.I was so glad to see Adelaide for the air and to get HOME and feel and actually see the sun.

I asked myself the question on the Airport in Seoul on the way back that if given the chance now, would I fly back to RSA or Australia. I can honestly say the decision was instant, Australia is my home. When people there asked me where I come from, I was actually surprised how fast my answer was Australia and how proud I was to say it and answer questions about my HOME country. Some that asked about the funny accent not so consistant with the everage Aussie accents I explained that I come form RSA but now live in Australia. I also felt a little bit of sadness at that momend when I realised I left RSA behind, but those feelings were quickly overwhelmed with the longing to return HOME to Australia and my life here. It made me realise home is truly where the heart is, my heart is in Australia.

Viva Australia. HOME. :ilikeit:

Hi Marius

I feel exactly the way you do but it took a bit longer.

Welcome HOME!

Marius,

I think I've mentioned before, don't be surprised if you feel a "need" to get intouch with your roots . . . . Afrikaans . . . and begin associating more with Sth Africans in the years to come, once you are comfortable with feeling at home with Australia.

Also, as the years roll by, you'll be familiar with all the comings and goings of Australia and its lifestyle . . . . the current and past Prime Ministers and governments, famous Australians who have come and gone in the years you will have been here and heard of them, old TV programs, football and rugby results of previous years, familiarity with the rise of prices here, etc., etc. . . . . . . and, sadly, the reverse with South Africa. It will become more and more unfamiliar to you as the years and events there occur without you experiencing them passing and each trip back will seem less familiar to you, until after 20 or 30 years or so, you will feel like a "tourist" in South Africa. . . . an Aussie one, at that!

Don't be surprised if these experiences occur to you. It's happened to heaps of other folk who have been in Australia for years and years.

marius, i know how you feel, i'm also travelling a lot for work and really am starting to feel that oz is home and each time i arrive back i realise how glad i am to be "home". popped into good old sa the other day and although there is so much i miss, i could never go back there to live.