Sandton to Sydney in 2 months!

Mandsclair

Hi there

My hubby has been offered a job in Sydney and they want him to start in May! We have not even accepted the offer yet!

Has anyone else managed to make the move so quickly and what are the most important things for us to do first?

Our furbabies will need to go into quarantine, something I am dreading... any words of advice or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Neither of us has been to Oz so this will be a big change of scenery for both of us. We have no close friends nor family there either. We are unsure of what to take with and what to leave behind - in fact we are pretty much in the dark so any advice would be most welcome.

Scared and excited at the same time. I am already losing sleep!

Mands xx

PS Many thanks to the founders of this forum - I feel so much better being able to access people in the same situation as us.

Edited by Mandsclair

Mandsclair

Congratulations first of all!

Good luck, I am sure it will be a great challenge, but do-able.

What do you and hubby do for a living? And do you have the sneaky or cute type 4 legits?

Speak soon and hang in there. Unfortunately we are doing the Longgggg walk to freedom, so can only advise you on certain things.

Strongly suggest Application -> 100 Steps to immigrate by Jordy

Enjoy and Welcome

Stranded

Hi,

Congrats on the job offer. Seems like with the recession, jobs are scarce!

Im sure its going to be a great adventure for you and hubby...

My advise is to take a couple of days off work and spend all your time browsing through this forum with a good glass of red wine!

you wont believe the amount of information you will find!

Good luck!

Keep us all posted as to how things are going

J :unsure:

Hi mandsclair,

Congrats on the offer!

Yes, it can be done in such a short period, you just have to be VERY organised and focussed.

Just a word of advice, make sure it is written into your contract that the Company will sponsor you for PR after an agreed time period, or better still get them to sponsor for PR from the getgo.

Looking forward to welcoming you to Sydney!

zorba

Wow! I didn't expect replies so fast!

Stranded - hubby is in risk management and I am in marketing... not sure what "sneaky or cute type 4 legits" refers to - we are REALLY new to this!

Jaclyn - I feel like I have spent the last few days of my life glued to the internet and I still feel like I know very little!

Please will someone tell me what a PR is so that I can make sure that it is applied for... is that Permanent Residency? I have been wondering about this. Don't want to be shipped back home after 4 years!

Thanks guys - keep the advice coming!

PR is permanent residence, yes. Good luck, fire away with the questions.

Mandsclair

Sneaky or Cute =

Cat or Dog

Would suggest you find a coffee club in your area, speaking to people one on one, just so much easier. See Coffee Clubs posts and look for your area.

Keep asking those questions, no one will mind, we love helping, IF WE CAN.

Stranded

Hi there

We moved from Sandton to Sydney in 1 month and I must say its the best thing that has ever happened to us. All I can suggest is that you spend many hours on the forum researching and make a little notes in a book.

Shout if there is anything that i can help with. I gather that you don't have any children, you will find there are other couples in the same position and you will soon make friends with others who have taken on the new adventure without family and friends around.

Good Luck

I see! I am taking one sneaky and 2 cutes! Is that a lot? It is going to cost us a small goldmine - but these are my "children" and no-one gets left behind!

I already feel very encouraged, and like this is actually do-able - thanks so much guys.

Love your No one get's left behind policy. It worked in Nam, so it should work for you. Yip, it will be an arm and a leg!! Have you checked by when they have the first opening for the children. As far as I recall, it is a very busy service.

Stranded

I may be able to get them all in by March - but the cutes will have to be bumped up to luxury accommodation - there goes both arms and legs! I may have to sell my soul eventually :thumbdown:

I have not checked with the Aussie side yet - do I need to do this now? They will be doing 6 months quarantine here and one month in Oz...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same profession as your husband and just got my NSW state sponsered PR. It wasn't that difficult either although I did go through an agent. It's worth making the effort.

Sneaky or Cute = Cat or Dog

Oh now I get it, as in our dearly beloved four-legged friends!

This is it people! Hubby has signed the offer of employment - we're going to Sydney!

Congrats on the offer.

The short time frame can be overcome but you need to project manage this with severe attention to detail. Make a list of everything that you need to do and everything your employer needs to do.

Look at your list and check the lead times on everything, tackle the long ones first. These are usually anything involving home affairs. If you are missing anything, make friends with Mrs Aucamp - search for her details on this website. She is the only reason we made it here in 2 months (from date of offer acceptance).

Follow up on your home affairs goodies and book medicals immediately.

If your employer wants you there that quick, I imagine they have an immigration agent looking after you. They are very good at helping you fill in forms. Quite often, they fill in a lot of the stuff for you which is great.

Figure out what to do with all your SA goodies, house, car etc... and then do it. You cannot afford to delay for even one day.

Lastly research on this website, because there are so many pearls of wisdom.

Good luck.