What SA products do you still buy?

Lindy-Lee

Iv'e been wondering...what SA procducts do you all still buy?

I remember landing in Oz and so many things just didn't taste the same, but with time we got used to it. But there are some things that you just can't stop using.

The cheese tasted so different for me, but got used to it.

The bacon....well here you don't get bacon, you get BACON!!!They are massive!! Slightly different taste - but used to it now.

Mayo - Miracle Whip is the closest to Cross & Blackwell for me.

But then you get the things like MRS BALLS CHUTNEY. I still buy only that.

AROMAT- trust me there just ain't no replacement for that either!

That's about the only SA products I still buy.

What so you still buy?

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Mrs Balls Chutney

Koo Fine Apricot Jam

Sandwich Spread

Marmite

Sparletta Creamsoda

Red Heart Rum

Graca white wine

Trim Mayonnaise

All Gold Tomato Sauce

Not because I have to, but because my mouth muscles twitch when I think of them!

Mrs Balls Chutney and Tastic Rice (it's in a different bag, but still tastes the same). I really can't get used to the normal white rice here - it's sticky and ugh!!

Have to agree with Ajay. Hate the rice here, but the Tastic equivalent is what we buy. Chutney is also a must, also still have some Mayo bottles in the pantry.

Nando's perinaise as well.

O ja, and OFFCOURSE my rooibos tea, only tea I drink. :ilikeit:

Biltong, thasts if I dont make it myself then Nando's sauces and rooibos tea from time to time, thats about it. I used to love all gold tomato sauce, but have found Heinz here is just as good or better. The rest we have all found local "replacements" for I am happy to say.

Hi there,

Interesting topic! I still buy:

Mrs. Balls

All Gold Tomato Sauce (only for me - I hide it from the kids :ilikeit: )

Fanta Grape every now and then

Rooibos Tea

Grandpa Headache powders

Chemico

Great Shakes Braai Salt

KOO Superfine Apricot jam

MIELIEMEEL!!!!

Droë Wors

Greetings,

Dreamy

Edited by Dreamcatcher

The rice... :unsure: first time I had it I wnated to put milk and sugar over, tasted like mielie pap to me. I have not seen Tastic in the shops here in Perth, but so used to the "sticky" rice now ......

Some things either can't be replaced or as Mara said ... some things our taste buds won't allow us to replace. I still buy Rooibos as well but not at SA shops and cause it's the only tea I drink.

Lindy-Lee

Hi

I arrive in OZ tomorrow(from New Zealand),and was wondering as a matter of interest....In which shops do you get these SA products?

In NZ,the products all of you listed which you all still prefer,are about the same as I found I still prefer in NZ.

And I must add,there were only particular stores that stocked RSA products,and they were slightly more expensive too.Not alot more expensive,but they were.

Hi Gavin & Chantell

There are quite a few SA shops around that stock all these products and more (at a price), but I have found that alot of your stores...Coles, Action, Woolies etc stock some of them. Our local IGA (Action) stocks Mrs Balls, so I just get it there.

Good luck with move tomorrow :ilikeit: Just hours now.

Lindy-Lee

:unsure:

We still buy:

1. Mrs Balls peach chutney

2. Body on Tap hair shampoo

3. Vital Rooibos tea

4. The Cape herb & spice company's Cajun seasoning

5. Nando's Wild Herb sauce once in a blue moon

Most of the stuff we buy from the local shops but we still go to the South African shop for number 2,4 and 5. Has anyone else noticed that the Nando's in Australia don't stock the wild herb sauce?

Guest Bronwyn

Hi guys - I was just interested to find out how the Tastic rice looks there then? Is it still called Tastic but not in a brown bag? I also only like Tastic... :blush:

I remember the first time we visited Australia for a three week holiday, almost 9 years ago. We were on a VERY tight budget and we bought Rice Crispies (Rice Bubbles) and milk and took it back to our room and mixed it up in some of the teacups from the tea & coffee set they had there, to save money on eating out. We had accidentally bought Soya milk! It was terrible and I don't know how on earth I did that. Had to throw the whole lot away. We just weren't used to all the choices & didn't look properly.

We also bought the wrong washing powder for the machine in the place we stayed. The cheese counter was so daunting we didn't even try it. Nothing looked bright yellow like good old cheddar...

This last time we were there we still economised, but I realised I could buy giant strawberries & bananas and croissants in Rundel Mall Adelaide, and eat a huge breakfast for next to nothing - that kept us going for most of the day. A lot better than Rice Bubbles & Soya. :ilikeit:

Bronwyn

PS. Do you get Ina Paarlman products there like the Herb Salad Dressing? That's great.

PPS. I will be able to replace everything with Aussie products, I'm sure. I hate Rooibos with a passion :unsure:

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there,

When we first arrived in Sydney and visited the SA store we went bos. OH BROTHER ! :blink: Since then we have grown used to the idea of having so many familiar products around again. We usually have most of the following at home :

Droë wors

Biltong

Boerewors

Ina Paarman’s spices

Nando’s Sauces

Mieliemeel

Kola Tonic

Iced Zoo koekies

Jelly Tots

Cream Soda

Braai Salt

Rooibos

(Glad to announce that the stack of Fizzers is finally gone !! :ilikeit: )

I really miss rusks as the Ouma’s we get at the SA store are old, stale and horrible. :holy: I see big potential for a tuisnywerheid providing the North-West of Sydney with fresh rusks !

Love

SS

:)

Hi ya

I atill find that we tend to spoil ourselves and buy a few things from the SA shop, but we are slowly weaning ourselves off them - tho, I admit these are still a staple item in our household:

Aromat

All Gold Tomato Sauce

Nando's Lemon & Herb rub

Ouma Condensed Milk Rusks

Flings

Savannah's

:holy::ilikeit:

Braai Salt

Mieliemeel (for my wife)

Ouma Rusks

Most of the common SA products are available in just about every NZ supermarket on the North Shore or Eastern suburbs of Auckland. Most SA products in in the 'International' section but many such as Nandos sauces, Rooibos tea, Mrs Balls chutney, boerewors amongst others are simply placed amongst the local products as so many Kiwis now buy certain SA goods. Many smaller Dairies stock SA products, and then there are a number of SA shops around. Prices tend to be slightly more expensive though.

Yep, only the Aromat and Mrs Balls stays!

I've ordered some C&B Mayo the other day, just to find it tasted really sour in comparison with the Kraft I'm used to. Ordered the good old Curry (Raja) and found it not as tasty as the Keen's.

The Rooibos is now available at our local Woollies - in a red box and it is called Rooibos African Tea. We even get the Appletizer and Grapetizer. Coles supply the tinned Guavas. It's just the "skorsies" I really miss, but we replaced it with the Chinese Pumpkin.

The Rice... Well, got used to the Sun "parboiled longrain" - or the Basmati Parboiled Rice. All the Parboiled Rice products are good.

But our tastebuds were really tickled since we arrived - now we have the weight problem to take care of. It is just too good to order your Pizza on the Net and it gets delivered in a jiffy!

We now are making our own boerewors, droewors and biltong - got a butcher that gives us a good deal on the meat.

:holy: M

We didn't buy any SA products until about a year after coming here, besides Appletizer and Grapetizer, which you get in most supermarkets. One day we ordered a few things from satooz and to be honest we were disappointed - they were not as great as we remembered them :holy: . Our tastebuds have grown used to the Aussie products and we are quite happy with them. :ilikeit:

Yep..we buy Mrs Balls chutney mostly...the other things I can get around...although my kids only drink rooibos(and I dont...) so we buy that and now and again treat ourselves with other things like koeksisters and fizzers and fizzpops...hehehe

Does anybody know if you get guava juice in Oz? While I was pregnant I had this craving for guava juice but couldn't find it anywhere. The closest you get (but doesn't taste the same) is guava/apple juice :holy:

Lindy-Lee

Most of the IGA Superstore branches and the local Veggie Shops in Big Shopping Centres sells the "Dewlands" Fruit Juice (Imported via NZ). I still cannot resist Leetchie Juice...

Madelein

Ons is nou 7 jaar in NZ (binnekort Oz) & koop nog net 'n paar ZA produkte bv Ms. Balls (daar is NIE 'n alternatief nie !) Old Gold Tamatie sous (as ons moeg raak vir Heinz) & Bovril (toe ons dit nog kon kry !!!!).

Ons (ek's 'n Voedseltegnoloog, & let dus meer op) het egter gevind dat ZA produkte se roummateriale al hoe meer vervang word met goedkoper alternatiewe; bv. botter word met gehidrogineerde plantvette vervang, ens. ens. aangesien baie van die alternatiewe vir ons onaanvaarbaar is, raak die produkte wat nog aanvaarbaar is al hoe minder, en koop ons dus van nature meer NZ produkte.

We buy Mrs Balls, Matabella, Stamp (there is a local Oz brand) we make mieliepap from it, mieliemeal, rooibos tea from Woolworths, biltong, droewors and boerewors from the local butcher and my favourite gooseberry jam. Other than that we have found replacements products for all the rest in Oz. Our local butcher sells heaps of SA products & you can even buy gem squash from him.

Lindy-Lee

My mother- in –law is a guava fanatic. She buys a local oz brand of guava juice I will ask her and get back to you. I sometimes buy the Ceres guava juice for her.

OK,

Now for a slightly different question, tell me what products in Oz you simply fell in love with !!!!!

Hier in NZ is die sjokolade FANTASTIES :ilikeit: ; aan die begin kan mens nie glo hoe groot die sjokolade plakke is nie, maar mens raak dit ook gewoond (en eet ook 'n plak in een sessie op....) :ilikeit::hug::ilikeit:

NZ se honey cured bacon is ook YUM!

A bit off topic, do you get biltong, boerewors and droèwors in Oz? We get it in the UK but its no so good.

Daller

ARNOTTS ARNOTTS AND MORE ARNOTTS!!! :D For those that don't know ....Arnotts make biscuits and lots of it, and are wicked :D

Mitch

Yes u get lots of people selling biltong, droewors etc.

Here in Perth we buy from a Saffer who has been here for 16 years+ and tastes just like it did back in SA.

Lindy-Lee

:lol: