Working In Australia Expo

HouseInOz

:ilikeit: Dear Forumites

I would like to have your suggestions as to which Expo to attend. Here is the twist, we are SAfricans living in the Far East and London is closest. Would the exhibitors be interested in Safricans? Is the London Expo only tailored/interested to speak to Brits? i.e. would it be worth our while to fly to London, hotel costs, etc.etc.?

What are your chances to get an interview from attending the Expo?

Ay feedback would be appreciated!

:ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Hi H,

I attended the Expo in Cape Town a year ago. There were some presentations from the regional governments trying to entice you to go to their own region(Tasmania's presentation was most impressive), some banks (CBA, ANZ, NAB) were trying to get people to sign up for accounts with them, and some mover companies were giving out cheap plastic bags with their logos on. There was at least one real company looking for people to do HV power-line work in regional QLD, but the majority were recruitment agents with nothing concrete to offer. There were signs saying that construction workers, IT people, and accountants were in demand at the time.

I wouldn't recommend flying to London just to attend the Expo. Also, from first-hand experience, there are currently almost no technical jobs available in Australia, even if your occupation is on the "critical shortage" list. The medical field is probably the only safe option, and then you are anyway better off applying direct.

Difficult one to answer. Personally I wouldnt spend the money on flights at the mo. As Omzig has suggested things are getting tougher in Aus.

My husband handed in his CV to an engineering company at the JHB expo (2007) - they then moved on to the Uk and phoned him whilst doing the UK expo.

Seems if you have what they are looking for it doesnt really matter where you're from. Good luck.

The Australia Expo is owned and run by an employment agency called Working In Ltd. Before you spend money around the world you would be wise to do a search in this site for Aus expo.

Instead of spending money to travel to London I suggest you rather travel to Australia and visit recruitment agencies there. Also contact companies that may have positions in your line of work and try to set up interviews.