Making to move to Adelaide...

LauraF

Hi to everyone

I've just joined the forum so am still feeling my way around - quite a minefield of info!

My hubby and I, together with our two young kids, arrive in Adelaide from Paarl in early March on a 495 visa. We are treating it as an awfully big adventure to try and minimise the stress! From our research, Adelaide looks like a fabulous city in which to live (we've only been to Sydney and Perth) and we are really looking forward to making the move. Obviously sad to be leaving behind family and friends, and many are questioning our move and trying to convince us to stay. It's really good to read of others' experience, knowing that there are so many going through the same. We are trying to rehome our beloved pets at the moment so quite a traumatic time, and although we are being philosophical about it, it doesn't make it any easier.

On another note, I'm looking at possibly importing a South African product that consists mainly of hemp. I know Australia is quite sticky about certain materials being brought in - does anyone know where I can get information on the rules and regulations? And whether regulations differ on importing goods to those shipped over in a domestic container?

Would be grateful for any help - thanks!

Cheers

Laura

Hi Laura.

My niggie hul is nou 2maande in Perth en kom ook van Somerset-Wes,Paarl omgewing pm haar gerus as jy enige iets wil weet of meer info soek onder Pieter en Lindie.Sy sal

te bly wees om jou te kan help waar sy kan :ilikeit:

Sterkte en welkom.

Hi Laura,

We are in pretty much the same situation as you. We are moving to Adelaide early March as well. All these mixed emotions - I know exactly how you are feeling - also had to find a home for our Jack Russel... it was a difficult thing to do.. especially for the kids.. Are u taking a container over... we are looking at sharing a container with someone.. I have about half a container of personal effects to take along.. sorry I don't really have an answer to yr question but just wanted to let you know that we are in the same boat. Are you/ hubby starting work in Adelaide?? will be good to hear from you.. take it easy - everything will fall into place! Best of luck...

Hi Laura.

My niggie hul is nou 2maande in Perth en kom ook van Somerset-Wes,Paarl omgewing pm haar gerus as jy enige iets wil weet of meer info soek onder Pieter en Lindie.Sy sal

te bly wees om jou te kan help waar sy kan :whome:

Sterkte en welkom.

Hi - thanks! will do, rgds, Laura

Hi Laura,

We are in pretty much the same situation as you. We are moving to Adelaide early March as well. All these mixed emotions - I know exactly how you are feeling - also had to find a home for our Jack Russel... it was a difficult thing to do.. especially for the kids.. Are u taking a container over... we are looking at sharing a container with someone.. I have about half a container of personal effects to take along.. sorry I don't really have an answer to yr question but just wanted to let you know that we are in the same boat. Are you/ hubby starting work in Adelaide?? will be good to hear from you.. take it easy - everything will fall into place! Best of luck...

Hi - so you must also be feeling the strain! Alternate between excitement and anxiety... We are taking a 40ft and have somehow managed to fill the space - adds up quickly. We are using Crown Relocations whom had been recommended to us - they have been really good so far. The nice thing about them is that they don't outsource on the other side but is done through their Australian arm. Perhaps check with them - the Cape Town office told me that they move about 20 families a month to Australia so sharing a container shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck!

We don't have jobs to go to - will tackle that once we get there. What about yourselves? Or are you going blind like us?

We are still waiting for confirmation from SA Housing as to whether or not accommodation is available - should hear by next week. Hopefully it is available- nice to have one's own space rather than a hotel, especially after such a long flight with an 8 year and 3 year old! What accommodation plans have you made? What date do you arrive? We arrive 11 March via Singapore - a really long haul!

We should definitely meet up for a cup of coffee once we are there...

cheers

Laura

Hi, Laura ! Welcome to the ForumFamily ! I came to believe it might be a lifetime addiction ... !!!

You can try to get info from the following person, she is very helpful and friendly:

Sophie Angus

Plant Programs

Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service

Phone: 02 6272 3400

Fax: 02 6272 3745

Email: sophie.angus@aqis.gov.au

All the best !

Congratulations on picking Adelaide!

You are going to love it here and I know that your kids will too. Adelaide has much to offer a family in terms of security, entertainment and scenery.

Welcome!!

Hi Laura

Good choice Adelaide :blush::lol:

Can't help with info re "hemp" but if you need help in relation to settlement and /or employment issues, give us a shout.

Nothing to be nervous about, enjoy the adventure. :lol:

If you like Paarl I am sure that you will get to like/love Adelaide.

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

Hi Laura, Yes I am feeling lotsa strain at the moment. Having to move out of my house was hard enough..now staying with the in laws.. we leave on the 11th of March - IOM seems to have given us the best deal with regard to flight and baggage allowance - 40kgs! I phoned Crown today - spoke to Charmaine.. am awaiting her quote.. I just have household effetcs that wud fill up half a container..

my hubby has a job already - i don't though.. we going on the 457 visa..

My son is 10 and my daughter is 5.. I am worrying about the long flight as well.. poor kids!! and my son battles with his ear sometimes..

I have been looking for a place to rent over the net www.realestate.com.au - still looking.. maybe u can do the same.. send some emails to the estate agents.. we will view some properties as soon as we are there.

Oh yes, we must certainly meet for coffee..

Good luck with finding accomodation.. if u need some more details with regard to estate agents, please message me..

so long take care!!

Hi, Laura ! Welcome to the ForumFamily ! I came to believe it might be a lifetime addiction ... !!!

You can try to get info from the following person, she is very helpful and friendly:

Sophie Angus

Plant Programs

Australian Quarantine & Inspection Service

Phone: 02 6272 3400

Fax: 02 6272 3745

Email: sophie.angus@aqis.gov.au

All the best !

Thanks Alida - will make contact with her. rgds, Laura

Hi Laura

Good choice Adelaide :ilikeit::ilikeit:

Can't help with info re "hemp" but if you need help in relation to settlement and /or employment issues, give us a shout.

Nothing to be nervous about, enjoy the adventure. :ilikeit:

If you like Paarl I am sure that you will get to like/love Adelaide.

Enjoy!

Manny

Hi Manny - thanks - hubby didn't want to make the move now because of global financial crisis and wanted to delay it for a year but I pretty much steamrolled him. South Australia seems to be making big drive for migrants so can't be the worst place to be at the moment (that's what I keep telling him anyway) - hope he doesn't prove me wrong!

Seems like Adelaide may be a little hotter than Paarl - we were 39 yesterday so also a little warm... Laura

Congratulations on picking Adelaide!

You are going to love it here and I know that your kids will too. Adelaide has much to offer a family in terms of security, entertainment and scenery.

Welcome!!

Hi Jongman - thanks - looking so forward to it although we have been warned that we are going to miss the mountains! rgds, Laura

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Also just joined the forum. We are at the start of the whole immigration process and it all seems quite daunting. Trying to decide whether we should go state sponsored (Adelaide) which seems to take quicker or skilled independent. We have decided on Adelaide because we know people there and it seems to have a lot to offer familes (our girls are 9 & 3,5).

I would like to ask how difficult it is to do the application oneself. We have looked at various migration agents and since our application is very straightforward are wondering if it is really worth paying someone R20000 to do it for us. The australian immigration website also seems very explicit and clear.

Terry

Hi

I would like to ask how difficult it is to do the application oneself. We have looked at various migration agents and since our application is very straightforward are wondering if it is really worth paying someone R20000 to do it for us. The australian immigration website also seems very explicit and clear.

Terry

Hi Terry

Welcome. Also leaving for Adelaide at end of year.

Easy as pie. There was a poll and most (80+%) people did it themselves and had no problems. Don't waste your money. If there is any problem, just ask.

Hi Laura

Welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

We will also be going to SA if we get our visa. But we are looking at January 2010.

Please update us on your journey and good luck.

Chantelle

Hi

Also just joined the forum. We are at the start of the whole immigration process and it all seems quite daunting. Trying to decide whether we should go state sponsored (Adelaide) which seems to take quicker or skilled independent. We have decided on Adelaide because we know people there and it seems to have a lot to offer familes (our girls are 9 & 3,5).

Terry

Hi Terry - we used ASA Consultants (based in Perth) and they were really good, but judging from what others have written on the forum, it looks as if one can quite easily do it alone. Our application was a little more complicated so feel that the R14 000 that we paid ASA was worth every cent.

Good luck! Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say we moved to Adelaide in Dec 2008 and are loving it here. We did our own application and had our 457visa in a month.

We have two young daughters age 7 and 1. Am happy to answer any questions that I can - just been through the whole where should we live, what school should we choose thing !

Anyway take care

Kind regards

Mandy

We also came via singpore to Adelaide. We made the mistake of letting the kids play with the entertainment screen thingy onboard the flight to singapore, (via CT) - and they hardly had any sleep.. Not a good idea if you are spending the entire day until midnight.. in Sing. From sing to adelaide, the kids slept the whole way.

We currently been here 2 and a half weeks, and am in a serviced apartment right now paying 60per night. Pretty good considering hotel prices we were first paying!!

Anyway, friday we recived a call from an agent - the house we applied for we got. So we move in on wednesday... now the kids can goto school - its been a long break for them.

We also came via singpore to Adelaide. We made the mistake of letting the kids play with the entertainment screen thingy onboard the flight to singapore, (via CT) - and they hardly had any sleep.. Not a good idea if you are spending the entire day until midnight.. in Sing. From sing to adelaide, the kids slept the whole way.

Hi choog

thanks for advice - it's going to be quite a challenge keeping our 3 year old under control - busy busy boy! The 8 year old will be fine. Hoping for good journey but not holding our breath - take it as it comes....

rgds

Laura

Hi Laura,

Welcome, you should be happy in Adelaide, it's a large "dorp" with the amenities and support structures of a city.

If you need info regarding schools for your kids, give me a hoy, I'm a teacher in the State System over here, have been here for 13 years already.

Cheers,

Dax

Hi Dax

Also looking at schools in Adelaide, thought you may have some suggestions. Seems to be a shortage of High Schools in the Hills. There is Mt Barker High but nothing closer in the Sterling/Aldgate area? Have heard only good stuff about Sterling East Primary so would look at that school for my little ones but my daughter will be turning 13 next year and I would have to be looking for a High school for her I would imagine.

I know that you are a distance away from this area (spent a day exploring the coast , Brighton and Hallet Cove etc. when we were there on holiday in Sept last year) but was hoping you may have some advice.

Our hearts are not set on living in the Hills but would like to explore all options.

Cheers

Cheryl