Chicken Livers

Lisa Mac

Hi everyone

I read some posts a few months back about people having trouble finding chicken livers. I know that several ladies from Perth and Melbourne said that they could get them at their local supermarkets. However, I have hunted high and low through my local Woolies, Coles and butcher (there is no IGA nearby) and have not seen them in the 6 months that we have been here. I have checked the deli and fresh pet food (!) sections with no success. There is always calf liver and lamb kidneys readily available but never chicken livers. I really want to make pate - I have such an easy recipe and my sons all love it. I am in Brisbane's SW suburbs and my local shopping area is Kenmore or Indooroopilly. Has anyone managed to find chicken livers in my area?

Thanks!

Regards

Lisa

Ring your local Synagogue and ask where the women buy chicken livers or ask any of your Jewish friends. Chicken livers is a staple in a Jewish house hold.

Thanks Sonnetjie, that is a novel idea! I did not realise that about the Jewish culture - you learn something new every day!

I just wanted to say that this afternoon I found another butcher inside a small local mall and at the back of the freezer I found a couple of packs of chicken livers - at $9.99/kg. Definitely not as cheap to make my own pate as it used to be but I bought 500g nevertheless! I wonder why they are so expensive and why they seem so hard to find? What do they do with all the livers? If they are just using them to put into pet food you would think they would be fairly cheap. On a good day I can buy budget rump steak for the same price per kilo?!

Looking forward to that pate...

Regards

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...