Formula 1 gp

lyall

I am a real F1 :ilikeit: fanataic, and am so excited to have the chance to maybe get to the F1 in March in Melbourne.

My problem is I have never been to Melbourne, and need some advise from my fellow forumites..

I am planning on flying over from Tassie on the Sunday morning, the GP is at five pm..can someone give me some advise how to get to the GP from the airport..and then I will need to get back to the airport again so i can get home again ..will have to just hang around in the airport if no flights...

And there are two airports..which one to choose....

Thanks for all your help, I would like to book my tickets asap..AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPS KIMI FAN..

Edited by lyall

Hi Lyall

You have to fly to Melbourne Airport, you can get to the city with the bus, which stops at Southern Cross station and from there you can catch a tram to the F1 track. Same to go home in the evening, however, I do think you will have missed the last flight out to Tassie. There is a Formule 1 hotel at Melbourne airport, perhaps you can stay there. It is within walking distance to the airport building. The other place to stay, el cheapo, is at a backpackers in the city.

Hi Lyall

You need to travel to Melbourne Airport Tullamarine in Melbourne.

Once there, you can take the Skybus to Melbourne's CBD (the Skybus stops at Southern Cross Station in Spencer Street). One way ticket on Skybus is $16; return ticket is $26. You can book tickets in advance (via website, and advisable over busy F1 period) or buy tickets at airport.

Have a look at the handy Journey Planner on bottom right-hand side of Skybus website to determine best route for getting to Albert Park (landmark) where the Melbourne Formula 1 Grand Prix is held.

Alternatively (if you don't want to use Journey Planner), I'd say, best bet (once you've arrived in CBD at Southern Cross Station in Spencer Street) is to buy a Zone 1 public transport ticket at Southern Cross Station, catch the (west- and southbound*) tram 96 in Bourke Street (perpendicular to Spencer Street) and travel on it to Albert Park (tram 96 travels past the western side of Albert Park and has a stop right at Albert Park). This may be the quickest route.

Alternatively, other trams that go past Albert Park (on its eastern side) from CBD (with stops at Albert Park) is (south-bound*) trams 3, 5, 6, 16, 64 and 67, all of which you can catch from Swanston Street in CBD.

Enjoy your trip and of course F1! :ilikeit:

*PS: Just a tip: The trams all travel in two directions - e.g. a tram that travels south will, upon its return journey, travel (via the CBD) north. Same goes for east/west. Albert Park is +- 10 minutes SOUTH of the city, so whichever of the trams I mentioned you get on, make sure it's heading south, unless you first want to go for a scenic ride into/onto its opposite direction/route. Just ask one of the locals if you're unsure.

Edited by kangaroo

thanks so much for all the info..a big help!!thanks..just have to book now that it all seems so reasonable....

Hi Lyall

We live in Melbourne and went to the F1 GP last year. We bought tickets for the stands with reserved seats. These tickets give access from Thursday to Sunday for the F1 GP and for all the races which take place from Thursday. You can buy your tickets on line and then pick them up yourself, I would not recommend having them mailed to you because that can take too long and they may not arrive in time, which is not a disaster in itself just an inconvenience, because as long as you can produce the credit card you used to purchace them with and some ID then you can get them to reprint them for you.

Once you have your ticket you and you arrive at southern cross station, there will be trams right outside the station. You show them your F1 GP ticket and then you ride for free directly to the F1 Albert Park Gates. These trams are there only to take ticket holders from and to the GP. There is no need to purchace any tram tickets it is free as long as you have tickets for the F1.

If you are getting general admission tickets then you should try to go early to get a good position, but I don't know which gate you should go in or anything like that as I have not tried general admission before. But where ever you sit, make sure you take a big hat and sunscreen!

Have fun ;)

Wow, thanks for this awesome info!

Am going to book NOW for my hubby and son, both absolute petrolheads!

zorba

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thank guys for all the info , I am driving from Port Lincoln to the GP . I was in a suppotring race at the last GP in South Africa 94 I think . Its going to be a long drive but well worth it

See you all there

Andre