Which visa?

Juliette

Dear All

Please help! I have already spent hours on the internet trying to figure out which Australian visa is applicable to below situation, but what a minefield...

My brother and a friend want to go to Australia next year for a year to work on a sheep farm. They are both 21, have just finished their tersiary studies and want to gain some international experience before joining their fathers on their sheep farms in the Karoo in South Africa. (A bit of hard work and manual labour would do them a world of good!) A sheep farmer near Frankland, Western Australia, has already indicated that he is willing to take them on for the year (a possible sponsor?).

Both of them are South African passport holders. They cannot apply for a "working holiday visa" as South Africa is not part of that agreement. Can somebody please shed some light on the other options available to them?

For those of you from the EC - it is raining today in PE (real Cape Town winter weather). We've had a lot of rain recently and the landscape is beautiful.

Have a great day!

Kind regards

Juliette

Hi

A "Registered Immigration Practitioner" (former South African with office in Sydney) has quoted us AUD3810 per visa (Almost R22 000!!!) to obtain the necessary visas for my brother and his friend. Surely this amount is ridiculous!!? I think it is for Visa 457, although he does not mention it in his e-mail.

Can somebody please suggest an alternative way to obtain the visas? What about an "occupational training visa"? Would they maybe qualify for this? Where do we find the visa documention?

Kind regards.

Juliette

HI Juliette,

Although I am not an expert, what I can tell you is that the visa that your brother has been quoted for doesn't sound like a 457 - simply based on the cost. A 457 visa (which is a temporary residence visa for highly skilled workers with employers willing to sponsor them into the country for a specific position) costs A$240, and the employer needs to pay another small amount (around $200) to get approval to be a sponsor in the first place.

The Occupational Training visa is aimed, I think, at large employers that have a formal training plan in place - I could be mistaken though, so maybe you could check this out further on www.immi.gov.au

Why don't you suggest to your brother that he make contact with one of the Migration Lawyers on the forum - Etienne or Dolf - and have one of them make a recommendation as to the best way forward.

Good Luck

Ajay

If you find out the visa class form this agent maybe you can investigate all the requirements relative to that visa type and they can even do it themselves (if is it very straightforward?) Once you have the visa type details, you can also get more specific info on that visa form the forumites. :blush:

Guest Sunshine Sister
Hi

A "Registered Immigration Practitioner" (former South African with office in Sydney) has quoted us AUD3810 per visa (Almost R22 000!!!) to obtain the necessary visas for my brother and his friend. Surely this amount is ridiculous!!? I think it is for Visa 457, although he does not mention it in his e-mail.

Can somebody please suggest an alternative way to obtain the visas? What about an "occupational training visa"? Would they maybe qualify for this? Where do we find the visa documention?

Kind regards.

Juliette

Hi there,

By the sounds of it, the Immigration Agent is thinking of applying for a Trade Skills Training visa (Subclass 471) in which case the costs he quoted are right on the money. There are two payments per application - $ 430 when applying and another $ 3390 second instalment before the visa can be issued. For more information on this visa please click here.

As far as I can tell the only other type of Occupational Training visa (of which subclass 471 is probably your best bet) you could possibly try for would be the Occupational Trainee Visa (Subclass 442). Here the boys will have to be furthering their already existing area of expertise. If they studied agriculture this could be an option, but if farming is not in line with what they studied at uni I don't see how this route will work. For more information on the 442 please click here. The farmer is also going to have to do some work and will need to qualify under some very specific requirements for this visa.

I am not an expert, but it is probably best to ask your immigration agent which visa he has in mind and then have a closer look as I suspect it might be the 471.

Good luck, hope this has helped a bit.

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Possible visas that might be considered are the Subclass 457 or trade skills training visa (471). Both these possibilities have particular technical issues to take into account to determine if the visa applicants would be eligible.

With regard to the fee estimate given by the agent, some general thoughts: Depending on the visa category that the agent was proposing to apply for, the fees could actually be in line with the industry/ profession? standard. If the visa is granted and the holder is allowed to work in Australia, you might say it is a bargain: you achieve your goal to get into Australia and you are given the opportunity to pay for it.

Etienne Hugo

Dear All

Please help! I have already spent hours on the internet trying to figure out which Australian visa is applicable to below situation, but what a minefield...

My brother and a friend want to go to Australia next year for a year to work on a sheep farm. They are both 21, have just finished their tersiary studies and want to gain some international experience before joining their fathers on their sheep farms in the Karoo in South Africa. (A bit of hard work and manual labour would do them a world of good!) A sheep farmer near Frankland, Western Australia, has already indicated that he is willing to take them on for the year (a possible sponsor?).

Both of them are South African passport holders. They cannot apply for a "working holiday visa" as South Africa is not part of that agreement. Can somebody please shed some light on the other options available to them?

For those of you from the EC - it is raining today in PE (real Cape Town winter weather). We've had a lot of rain recently and the landscape is beautiful.

Have a great day!

Kind regards

Juliette