Greetings from Wagga Wagga!

Good Witch

Oh! Be still my heart..! I have just booked my son Shaughn's flight from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga for Friday (2 days from now!) It feels TOTALLY unreal that I am once again going to be able to wrap my arms around my beloved son..! 7 and a half years later...

I must remind myself to breath! I am soooooo excited..! Not to mention emotional! *gulp*

:ilikeit:

Andi

I am so excited for you, and emotional too after reading you PM to me - Thanks for the info - I really appreciate it and cant wait for the moment when we receive our email confirming our visa approval -

I will send you one later with tons of questions if you dont mind.

Enjoy the meeting with your son. Mine is 19 and each day i see him I feel blessed to be his mother . ( with all 4 my children ) I admire you for having taken leave of him 7 years ago - this must have been a sad day but the reunion will be so much more.

Enjoy it .

Brenda & Nick

Please send Pauline my regards if you get to see her again

:ilikeit: Best wishes from me and my familie too.Don't allow anything to take away this feeling from u and your loved ones.

We , will too, one day, expierience what u just explained to us,( and it is almost just like i imagined it to be) :D

Selma

Hi All,

Another beautiful hot and sunny day in Wagga. I thought I'd share some of the more mundane experiences with those of you who still need to make the move to Aus. These are my perceptions:

Shopping for groceries in Aus (so far) has been an absolute pleasure! I have found everything that I needed including familiar brands on the shelves of our local Woolworths. I honestly have not felt overwhelmed at all by all the unfamiliar brands, as many of the familiar ones are amongst them, and the 'new' brands (food etc) are wonderful. Everything is fresh. Service is unbelievable! Whether she is the cashier at the supermarket, or the bank teller, everyone seems to be happy to serve and assist you. Oh! And the self-help pay-point at Woolworths is fantastic! You simply scan your items, place them in the appropriate bagging area, one touch-button on the screen later you are ready to pay with cash, and it spits out your receipt and change, both coins and notes! A really smart idea!

The supermarket deli is to die for! Yummy freshly made salads, cold meats, cheeses... too divine for words! Oh, and the gorgeous ready-made pizzas that just have to be popped into the oven for 12 minutes are a winner too!

I remember reading somewhere that Aus doesn't really have malls like ZA does. Hmmm... I must have landed in the one town that does have malls then, 'coz we have two! They consist of supermarkets plus specialty stores like news agencies, coffee shops, bottle shops, food courts where people have their meals, bought from any of the many vendors in the food court, juice delis, shoe shops, clothing stores, etc. There's undercover parking as well! Free! You are allowed to park for 3 hours free in certain zones.

This place is clean. It is immediately noticeable! Even on Australia Day when so many people were in the streets, there were no papers and plastic bags lying around... simply fabulous!

We still have to start looking for our first rental. The jetlag is mostly something of the past now, and I am starting to get itchy feet to find a place of our own to call home. It really is quite a process here to rent property, applications must be completed for every potential landlord (thru the agency) and references, proof of income etc must be attached. If no reference is available from a previous Australian rental, then some agencies require personal (written) references too! So, come prepared, bring landlord references, estate agency references (in the event of home owners in ZA) as well as your latest rates and taxes bill or something similar to provide proof of (former) ownership.

In my opinion though, the most important asset that you can bring with you to prepare you for a good start in Australia is undoubtedly a good, positive attitude, a healthy dose of humility and gratitude, and a determination to make this work for you.

Cycling is HUGE is Australia! There are special bike trails everywhere, and in Wagga alone I have seen 2 specialty bike stores. If you have bikes, bring them with! You will undoubtedly use them here. People cycle mostly for recreation, and there are riding clubs that can be joined - for beginners and the more advanced. I have seen quite a few people cycling to work early in the mornings before the sun has come up yet!

Granted, I haven't REALLY started looking to buy clothes yet, but I did buy Gunther a perfectly good T-Shirt a few days ago for $5.00 - which I thought was a good price! Yes, it was in the bargain bin, alongside many other marked-down items. I think if you are willing to shop around and look out for bargains, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find at a good price!

Some things are outrageously cheaper! Like the computer that we decided to buy - before we even left Cape Town. It is R7000 cheaper here than in Cape Town! In this case we converted (as we were still in ZA) but I would definitely recommend that you refrain from converting everything from Dollars to Rands, you will only depress yourself! Besides, once you are earning Dollars, it no longer matters...

Okay, that's about all that I can think of to share with you now. If I find any more tips I'll post them here.

PS: Thanks for the lovely comments on this thread!

Hugz

Andi

Oh you are such a breath of fresh air! Thanks for all the wonderful posts and have an abolutely amazing time with your son over the weekend. I can't begin to imagine how excited you must be!!! And him I'm sure!!

Oh! Be still my heart..! I have just booked my son Shaughn's flight from Melbourne to Wagga Wagga for Friday (2 days from now!) It feels TOTALLY unreal that I am once again going to be able to wrap my arms around my beloved son..! 7 and a half years later...

I must remind myself to breath! I am soooooo excited..! Not to mention emotional! *gulp*

:ilikeit:

EDIT

Booking changed to next weekend (6th Feb,) due to work commitments that my son has. No worries! In one week today I see my precious man-child again! How exciting...!!!

:angry:

Andi and Gunther, welcome to the Great Southern Land! It IS an amazing country! After 8 years, I still, so very often, stand amazed at how privileged I am to be living here. And it is the most amazing feeling, after being away, to land back in Aus and breathe a sigh of relief that I am home again. Enjoy every minute!

• 2 weeks later...

Andi and Gunther,

WOW, WOW, WOW, I am fresh out of words, what can I say, thankyou so much for your great posts. I have tears in my eyes, a lump in my throat, goosebumps, the works. The way you explain is fantastic, feels like I'm there too, I cannot wait for our turn!!!!!

:lol:

I'll be looking out for more of your posts!

Simpsons

Andi, you sound soooooo happy!! I can't wait to see your post about your reunion with your son :-)

Tracey & Family xxxxxx

Hello forumites! It has been a while since I have updated you on my news in Wagga. I cannot believe that this is the start of our forth week in Australia!

My son Shaughn was 15 when he asked me whether I would mind if he moved to Australia to be with his father (my ex-husband.) Even though I was shattered at the thought of my precious boy leaving me without any guarantees of when (or whether) I would see him again, I knew that this was the right thing for him. A boy at that age needs a male role model, and Australia sounded a heck of a lot better and safer for my kid to grow up in. Saying goodbye to him at Jhb International airport in May 2001 was... impossibly difficult, but, he made me promise him that I would not cry... so, I didn't... at least not until I was out of sight after the dreaded farewell.

There were many times in the following years that I wondered whether I would see my child again. I received the occasional photo's from his father, and the phone-calls and emails were really scarce as Shaughn was a strapping young lad on the verge of his manhood and more than ready to explore his new world, and grow into his own skin as he became increasingly independent from his father, and more and more self-sufficient. When he turned 21 it REALLY hit me hard... I was not in a financial position to buy a ticket to fly myself to Aus to be with my kid, and suddenly the many years of longing became all too much to bear... A friend of Shaughn's kind-hearted mother took it upon herlself to contact me for a scrapbook project that she embarked on, documenting Shaughn's life, and asked me for photos and information. In this way I was able in some small way to participate in my child's important birthday! The photo's of him looking thru the letters 'from home' were priceless... And, my boy-child was all grown up now, a beautiful man... and I missed him more than ever.

In 2006 I read somewhere that the Parliament of World Religions was to be hosted in Melbourne in December 2009. I did not yet know how, but I knew that I simply HAD to make it to Melbourne, by hook or by crook I would put a delegation together to attend this important event. Equally important, I would finally get to see my son again!

Then I kinda lost sight of the goal, as I met and married my husband... My attention was entirely focused on my new husband and our wonderful life together. When we started discussing emigrating from South Africa, the idea of moving to Australia dawned on me (as opposed to Europe where we thought we'd migrate to.) The more we discussed it, the better we liked the Aussie prospect. Happily we arrived is Australia, almost 4 weeks ago.

On Friday the 6th February, I was pacing the small airport at Wagga Wagga, waiting for Shaughn's plane to land from Melbourne... What if I don't recognize him? What if he doesn't love me anymore? What if... I was driving myself completely dilly!!! When the plane landed everything moved into slow-motion. I was frozen on the spot at the entrance where my long-lost son would walk thru any moment now... And then, I saw him... I had to do a double take, as he is SO much taller, SO grown-up and SO very handsome now! I managed to keep myself relatively composed as he strode towards me, he was wearing shades so I could not tell whether he even recognized me or not... I was SO fearful of the unknown! And then, my precious son swept me up in his arms and I wept... I wept and wept for all the long lost years, I wept in gratitude for the beautiful and healthy man that he had become and in relief that he still loved his 'old lady.' It felt like hours that we just clung to each other weeping... But, of course it wasn't... he gently nudged me aside to make way for the other passengers who wanted to come thru the doors, and we made our way to my precious husband who had not yet met Shaughn.

What a fabulous weekend we had! When I rose on Saturday morning early to put the kettle on, and saw my son sleeping on the sleeper-couch in the lounge, I said a quite 'thank you' for sparing us to be together again.

Oh, and Shaughn tells me that the girls in Wagga are pretty gorgeous *chuckle* so, there's every chance that his mother will see him here again soon. In fact he and a few of his mates are apparently arranging a road-trip to Wagga in March, so I should see my precious soon again!

Thanks for the safe platform from which to share.

Love

Andi

Edited by Andi and Gunther

Wonderful Andi, I am so glad you got to see him!

You managed to bring tears to my eyes Andi, after all this time and some fortuatous circumstances in your life you are reunited!!! I am very happy for you...and you even managed not to faint when you saw him.

Hi Andy

What a 'Wagga Wagga' moment... brilliant story, touching... did not shed a tear... their are women on this site that are waiting for that moment... I'm a hunted man...

I'm so very happy for you... you must keep in touch...

lots of hugs

joefromsa

Hi Andi

Thank you for sharing this very personal and joyful moment with us. Sometimes a dream seem impossible, yet if we persue it relentlessly we will get it. I will drink a savana on you at the picnic this Sunday. Will miss you, but not in a sad way.

Karina

Oh Andy

How blessed you are, I am so glad for you - Your post had me in tears - and I wish you tons of supernaturally joyous moments every time you see him to make up for all those that you missed - You are a brave lady and I really admire your qualities - I do hope we get to meet, I would love to chat and steal a bit of your gracious "ness"

All the best

Brenda

Sjoe Andi

Am I glad you could have "The weekend" with Shaughn. My Mother loves me just as much, and I know that feeling of your Mother loves you endlessly.

Sure he loved the time with you JUST as much, if not more!! <_<

Stranded

Thanks everyone... Ahhh yes, meeting with Shaughn again was a hi-light in my life!

We moved into our first rental! Well actually, we are still in the process of moving in... Our new furniture was delivered this morning (the things we decided to replace in Aus,) and all is wonderful!

The house is gorgeous! We love it SO much! Being a gal who needs space, I was quite worried when I saw how very small the houses are (on average) in Wagga. When this house came across our path we grabbed it with all four hands! LOL! It is HUGE!!! 3 bedrooms, a formal lounge, a TV room, open plan kitchen / dining room, a separate laundry, and even an office (or study.) Everything is lovely, but the best is the outside entertainment area! It is massive!!!!!!! Too lovely for words! The bath is a spa-bath, and the house has a separate toilet. Rent is $300 per week. Compared to other houses that we viewed in this price-range, we really found ourselves a gem! And the area is great too, quiet, established and mostly inhabited by home owners as opposed to tenants, which makes for a sense of stability in the neighborhood.

Our container should be here in about mid March, until then we will be absolutely fine. I have bought the essentials as well as things that we decided to replace in Aus like a new bed, and a fridge.

Oh, and we managed to buy a car too. It is a burgundy Ford Falcon, definitely 'male' energy as opposed to 'female.' His name is Belthazar the Red Beast! *grin* (Those who followed "Charmed" will understand...)

Brenda & Nick, and other Wagga Wagga-ians, I look forward to meeting you all, we'll organize a BBQ sometime soon now that I have the entertainment area from which to host it!

Awww... Mr T... It was a tear-jerker, hey? And as for you Joe, don't give in... Never let the gals who are 'waiting for you to drop a tear know that you have a heart as soft as a marshmallow, your secret is safe with me... *wink*

Time to go shopping for our new house! Woohooo!!!

Cheers All! Until next time.

Hugz

Andi