Ugly houses and water restrictions

Sibella

Hello there,

I've had a look at thousands (okay a few) rental houses on the allhomes website and the houses are mostly quite ugly especially on the outside (to me that is). Its like the house I grew up in the seventies. But they seem nice and spacious and clean on the inside. I just want to check if they are like that or are there areas with more modern looking houses?

I presume all the newer houses are on the outskirts so the older ones are closer to the city?

Also its obviously terribly dry there which makes it look even worse - but at least there seems to be lots of trees around.

Also how do you guys cope with the water restrictions and what does it entail?

Hi Sibella

I also thought the houses looked a bit neglected etc when we arrived in Perth, then got used to it and when we moved over to Queensland and travelled through the older part of Mackay I thought the Queenslander style houses looked run down, but am so used to them now and starting to see the charm.

I am not sure where you are looking, but try to remember that the actual houses aren't worth that much,particularly in Perth and so on, it is the land that is expensive.

When the house prices went through the roof, it was not uncommon to see houses with high ceilings and timber floors being razed to the ground to build non -descript modern efforts, it can be cheaper to build new than to repair.

Hence you will see a modern home next to a dilapidated 70's style one.

If you want a new home you would look at newer suburbs or lifestyle villages etc, Ellenbrook in Perth srings to mind.

Water restrictions are quite similar to what you might have experienced in RSA.

You will have two days that you are allowed to use a sprinkler either between 5am-8am in the morning or evening and usually you can water with your hose every day at those times, when restrictions become tighter it is usually only a hose that is allowed.

Council informs you of water restrictions, in Moranbah houses with an even number can water at those times on Wednesday and Saturday and use a hose at those times every day except Monday.

Water is not expensive here, you normally get a water account every 5 months, I think my water is around $100 per year.

Hi There,

There are a lot of older looking homes around, but there are new ones in some neighbourhoods. The area where we are going to be renting is a mixture of both old and new. A suburb in Perth where there is a lot of new houses is Canning Vale. What part of Australia do you plan on moving to?

Hi There,

There are a lot of older looking homes around, but there are new ones in some neighbourhoods. The area where we are going to be renting is a mixture of both old and new. A suburb in Perth where there is a lot of new houses is Canning Vale. What part of Australia do you plan on moving to?

Sorry, I should have said - we are looking at Canberra (that's why I posted in the Canberra thread) because that's the only place we can (maybe) get PR sponsorship.

For instance this one - at $520 per week:

http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/ah0079?rlid=167300138

This is a good area apparently which explains the high price, but so ugly (maybe its just me - our last house in SA was new and we chose everything and our tiny one in the UK also new - ok I'm spoilt :ilikeit: ).

Hi Sibella

Don't stress too much about good/bad areas over here, it works differently, we were in a bad area in Perth- south of the river, not many saffers go there- and apart from one dodgy neighbour were very happy.

The house you are looking at has two positives, good sized yard and gas heating, I like those windows, not sure if it has a bath and small as 3 by ones are.

It is close to the city, which is why it is expensive, anything within 10km of city centres is pricier.

Try and look further out, you would get more house for your buck.

It can be disappointing when you view houses cause many aren't maintained well, they will be investment properties and the owner just wants you to pay the bond.

Try domain, realestate and homehound for more rental listings, it is worth travelling an extra 10km and getting a house for $450 per week.

Very difficult to choose a house on the internet, you really need to wait until you are here and then look at schools and houses together, because of catchment areas.

Not sure of the suburbs so take a look at Domain and work from there.

Hi again

I am not familiar with Canberra but this company seems to have quite a few rental listings Badenoch

Sorry only saw it was under the Canberra section after i had replied... :ilikeit:

What we have found ( we were busy looking for a rental, found one last week) is that there are some real odd houses out there, but you can get lucky. We have found a nice place 8KM from the city in Perth for $450 a week. Suits us perfect as hubby works 16Km from there and if i work in the city it will be easy for me to catch the train from . AND the house is only 18 months old with a golf course view, designed and owned by Saffers- we really got lucky its a beautiful place with golf course views.

I would also recommend looking once you are here as the houses look nothing like their internet photos- we found that they looked nice on the net and in reality they looked nothing like the pic at all. You also need to drive around an area to get a feel for it, walk through the shopping centres to see what the people are like, this gives you a good indication of who lives around there.

I would also recommend looking once you are here as the houses look nothing like their internet photos- we found that they looked nice on the net and in reality they looked nothing like the pic at all. You also need to drive around an area to get a feel for it, walk through the shopping centres to see what the people are like, this gives you a good indication of who lives around there.

This is VERY GOOD ADVICE!

Visit the local shopping centre, see what the butchery / bakery / deli sell and you will get a good idea of local socio economic circumstances. This may seem petty, but the FMCG retailers on the forum will know what I mean....

Even the exclusion - or inclusion - of certain retail chains tells a story.

zorba

No, no modern houses. And you only get enough water to shower every second day for 5 minutes. For the rest of the time you have to use the "kommetjie" that stands on the "wastafel" like our grandparents used to. If you use your water sparingly you might be able to save up for a bath once a year.

I am pulling your leg because I worried about these things to. Do not sweat the small stuff. This is a first world country.

Water restrictions takes some getting used to if like me you used to water your lawn deep every week. I used to go out in the mornings and turn on the sprayer and forget about it. I prefer not to see it as water restrictions but more a case of caring for the environment which is something everybody, everywhere will have to do sooner or later anyway.

Hi

That house is pretty normal for ACT. Narrabundah is in the inner south - I have friends there and they are happy. Unfortunately if you want something newer / better looking you are going to have to pay big bucks in the ACT.

There is a mix of new and old, the newer developments are a little further out - look at Gunghalin to the North. If you want better looking and have the bucks look at Red Hill, Torrens, Forrest, the inner south and inner north. But you will pay !!!!

This is something that used to really bug me when I was still in SA - but now that I am here the houses really dont bug me that much. You get used to seeing them and they "grow" on you.

Hi

That house is pretty normal for ACT. Narrabundah is in the inner south - I have friends there and they are happy. Unfortunately if you want something newer / better looking you are going to have to pay big bucks in the ACT.

There is a mix of new and old, the newer developments are a little further out - look at Gunghalin to the North. If you want better looking and have the bucks look at Red Hill, Torrens, Forrest, the inner south and inner north. But you will pay !!!!

This is something that used to really bug me when I was still in SA - but now that I am here the houses really dont bug me that much. You get used to seeing them and they "grow" on you.

Thanks for the info. Yes I've noticed most of the houses in Canberra look like this - but some are quite nice and spacious on the inside. Its probably just getting used to it as you say - in the beginning I used to hate all these brown houses in England and now... I hate them slightly less. But I still don't live in one!! :ilikeit:

Sibella, I know where you are coming from. Also did a lot of house searching on internet and was quite disappointed at the way houses look from the outside. Both me and my husband have green fingers so that one is going to be a bid of a struggle. Not to say that 80% of the houses only has one bathroom. I mean, are we spoiled in SA or is it the norm on Oz.