GMAIL video and voice chat

Johan du Toit

Have anyone used GMAIL's new video and voice chat functionality to communicate to South Africa? How is the performance as apposed to Skype?

I would think that Google chat would be better. My biggest gripe with Skype (Poet!!) is that it uses peer-2-peer to route traffic which is insecure and you are not guaranteed the best routing. Whereas when I was Beta testing Gmail chat I asked then question of routing and was informed that Google chat would use Googles own servers located on each continent.

Besides Google could squash Skype with their wallets

Have anyone used GMAIL's new video and voice chat functionality to communicate to South Africa? How is the performance as apposed to Skype?

Gtalk (voice) has been around for a few years now and works like a charm. I've used it a lot in communicating with people abroad and locally. Gmail's (web site) video functionality is however relatively new. So far I can't fault it but in saying that haven't tested it extensively yet.

There are so many freeware IM packages out there that offer decent voice and video. MSN Live, from Microsoft, is another option. I'd say try out a few and use the one that works best for you....but at the end of the day you might be forced to use the one/s your friends and family most make use of ;)

Edited by Jacques and Natalie