Help please......

billabong

Ok, I've gone through the living in Canberra post - I've made up a budget - please let me know what needs to change, or if I'm living in la la land....

Rent (4 bedroom house) $500pw

Water, Electricty, Gas $150pm

House content insurance $50pm

Car insurance (just something like a new Hyundai accent) $40pm

Petrol & public transport (I will be driving with the one car to school and around - husband will use public transport to go to work - or motorbike?) $300pm

Internet & landline $100pm

Two cellphones - with ability to phone to SA $200pm

Groceries (including diapers for 1 year old - by that time almost 2, toiletries, cleaning stuff ALL inclusive) - 200pw

Spending / Entertainment (just the odd pizza, DVD rental, breakfast....) $200pm

Private medical aid (to top up medicare - is this necessary?...) $200pm

Savings $500pm

We are two adults, 1 four year old and one 1 year old..... Can anyone maybe tell me how much you will pay for life insurance?.... I worked out the above budget on a salary of $57 000,00 pa (plus super, not included). Is this the type of salary we can actually get or am I aiming too high, too low? My husband is in IT....Systems manager, database administration etc.

Thanks a lot guys!!

You have done well with your budget, looks pretty accurate to me, although house insurance could be less. You could save considerably on phone costs if you skype family in SA to talk, use your mobile ph only to sms.

Re private health top up on medicare, you have 1 year period of grace as new migrant to avoid penalty loading of your premiums if you are over 32. We used this grace period and for us it paid off - received excellent medical care, even visited public hospital when a child needed stitches. Medicare was fantastic and more than sufficient. However young kids can get sick a lot - and if you anticipate big dental/eye or major medical problems eg knee, hip replacement then having private health insurance is comforting.

Lots of fanatstic fun and free things for families to do in Canberra. Parks everywhere ..

We have skype, so we'll definately do that. I'ts just in case of emergency and we have to use the cellphones.....

Thanks. Another thing that bothers me a lot - if I do job searches in Canberra, EVERYTHING is with the government?.......My husband won't get a job with them because we aren't citizens.....are there any IT jobs (non government) available in Canberra?....And salary wise - do you know?...

I might be completely wrong here but I also have the impression that Canberra has lots of govt jobs, being the capital. Since that is an issue for you maybe consider another city to live in initially untill you have citizenship. I know I am stating the obvious, so please bear with me.

Yes, but we are trying for state sponsorhip - ACT the only one we can get in with husband as Systems Manager.....otherwise we'll have to wait for 175....don't want to.....

Hi Billabong,

I am in the same boat, we have got our visa's but now need to sell up everything before we can make the great trek. I am in telecomms.

I raised you concern with a local (Canberra) employment agency when we were there last year october and she mention that you should still apply for these ciitizen poistions as they don't want people appying for these jobs as a way into the country.

The agency was premium placemnets and the contact there was a lady by the name of Jandy Godfrey [Jandy@premiumplacements.com.au].would be good to drop her a mail. she works with the relocate to Canberra team and assists immigrants with job hunting.

Robert

Hi Billabong

Another one in the same boat as you!! We are still getting all our stuff together but plan on applying for the 176 Canberra sponsorship soon.

We are also worried about the same thing, but I'm just being optimistic and assuming that Canberra would not sponsor people in positions if they don't really need them.

I also had a look at some job sites and most of them said you need to have PR to apply - which we will have.

A thing we do need to worry about is getting a rental house - the other day I looked and there was only about 10 available in the whole of Canberra!!

Hopefully if all goes well we will see you there - my kids are 7 and 2.

Good luck!!

Thanks guys! That's what I'm thinking too. I just told my husband tonight I'm sure they don't adverise all the private jobs on the websites - there are a lot of private companies - and specifically with my husband's IT in mind, they have about 15 microsoft gold partners in Canberra alone, so there shouldn't be a problem finding a job. Maybe not a dream job, but at least in the same field would be nice... Go to allhomes.com.au. Found a lot of rentals there! I posted another question asking if you can be "deported" if you don't secure a job, and I was told not. Hopefully that's true.

Sibella - My real name is Sibylla so I get a little bit of a "shock" everytime I see your name. Not a lot of us around!

Good luck guys! Hopefully we'll all end up in Canberra together! Was not an option for us at all, but after doing some research, it seems like a really great place to start off at least!

Thanx for sharing you estimate budget list you have saved me a bit of research. So far I have only looked at rental prices. When r u planning on going? Hubby myself and 2 boys r hoping to go in the next 4-6 mnths.

Internet & landline $100pm

Two cellphones - with ability to phone to SA $200pm

Hello Billabong, you have already mentioned that you have skype, but its not only for talking - you can video conference too. All thats needed is a video camera and a reasonably quick internet connection. We use skype to video con with friends and family all over the globe, and it makes the world a much smaller place.

All the best with house and job hunting.

Tex

Make sure you are looking at local government jobs. Non-Australian citizens cannot apply for federal government jobs. This is because you need to have security clearance. Look on the Australian government website and they will tell you what you need to get this clearance.

That is why most of the IT jobs in Canberra are off limits to immigrants and permanent residents, becuase they are federal jobs and not local government jobs. We look at Canberra as well to move to but in the end decided against it because both my husband and I are in IT.

Regards,

Retha

Hi Guys

In view of the current changes... please get those apps in asap...

Once it's in... any changes will not affect your applications...

Joefromsa

Hi billabong,

Just looked at your budget.

The groceries amount seems a bit low to me, especially if its all inclusive - nappies, cleaning stuff, etc. We are 2 adults and 2 kids (teens), yes they eat more but we don't have to buy nappies!

Phone and internet - Optus have some good deals. We have the $129 plan, includes landline rental, all local and national calls and internet ADSL2+ with a 30G monthly allowance. If you exceed the 30G there is no additional charge but speed is governed till the next billing month. We use this to skype all over the world, works like a dream. If friends/family back home don't have skype you can still call them with "skype credit", much cheaper than phoning!

zorba

Thanks! I only read your replies now. So local government is fine, federal not. Budget - up internet and groceries - $250 pw?.

Thanks again. Just waiting on our agents to actually get the ball rolling......Doesn't matter what you do, you end up waiting!!

The budget looks fine, we have been in Canberra now for almost 2 months.

Just remember when you do you grocery budget, you have to start from scratch, you are not just filling up what you have used through the month. We realised that our budget was a bit off line due to this. You have to literally buy salt, pepper, all spices, everything so in the beginning $250 / $300 is not much, but once you have the basics again it gets better.

Good luck

Thanks! Started the admin for the application last night. Husband is busy sending his CV to recruitment agents and Microsoft partners in Canberra just to see if we get a reaction. Also to get some info to put in the commitment statement! Don't know if I'll be able to say it all in two pages, but I'll try. Did our budgets (because they want to see that too - if you don't have $20 000 for the main aplicant and $10 000 for each dependant -$50 000,00. We are just short. But anyway, I think the budget is easier in any case. That's true! I forgot that it's all new cleaning stuff and everything! So we'll just do one big shop once we have a house (and husband has a job) and then take it from there. Is anyone you know of there on a 176? Or in the IT industry over there? Just to know how long it took them to find work and what the general situation is over there for IT.....

Thanks again!

Had formal feedback from someone in ACT government: "Australian citizenship ( and sometimes a security clearance is a requirement for the Australian (Central) Government. However, it is not a requirement for my (ACT) Government".

Howzit Billabong have been living in Canberra for 1 month and agree with most of your budget calcs - the following are our additional findings

Household insurance (for approx SA R500K worth of goods) costs $20/month

Medicare - be careful here - if not a perm resident (Im on a E457 visa) and applying for Private healthcare we pay $406/month (2 adults 1 child) and more importantly they would not cover any pre existing condition for 12months - I am on a daily cholesterol tab ($150/month and wife also on a daily tab $40/month - $190/month for 12 months!!!)

Think your cell phone may also be a tad high (unless very heavy usage)

We are loving Canberra - check out the welcome to Canberra program - very informative http://www.liveincanberra.com.au

Cheers Adrian

Sorry -Question.If my son is asthmatic on treatment will it not be covered?We r coming to Canberra on a 457.Will organise about 6 mnths of treatment but can't really get more than that.

What work r u doing in Canberra.