Flying with a baby

GottaGo

We're doing a long distance flight to Scotland soon with our 9 month old and then flying to CT in April when he'll be 1 year old...

All and any tips will be greatly appreciated!!! What essentials to take, did you take a stroller/campcot...relieving ear pressure on take off and landing....What toys will distract best...ANYTHING!!

What's the deal with taking fluids for baby on board and security checks?

We're flying Emirates to the UK and Qantas to SA.

Thanks,

Sally

We're doing a long distance flight to Scotland soon with our 9 month old and then flying to CT in April when he'll be 1 year old...

All and any tips will be greatly appreciated!!! What essentials to take, did you take a stroller/campcot...relieving ear pressure on take off and landing....What toys will distract best...ANYTHING!!

What's the deal with taking fluids for baby on board and security checks?

We're flying Emirates to the UK and Qantas to SA.

Thanks,

Sally

You can take a carseat, stroller and campcot free of charge (although managing these, your luggage and kids is another matter but we did it when we flew to the UK).

For ear pressure I breastfed my baby but you can also give them a bottle on take off and landing. Most airlines have a special seatbelt which ties around you and the baby.

Organise a cot at the bulkhead beforehand - this means loads of legspace for you and a bed for your baby. Mine was 8 months when we flew so she got one but it depends on their weight. The bad thing is that you will probably sit next to another baby who is not as good as yours...

I ordered special baby meals etc. but baby was out for the count before the food arrived and she only woke up to feed once or twice through the flight. I did not give her any medication but did have some with me in case (this is essential as you never know how they would react).

With fluids I made up bottles and sometimes they asked me to drink some of the milk. You can also take those packets of ready prepared milk - as long as it is sealed you should not have an issue.

Stickers, books, etc. are good but like I said I had all these stuff and my eldest just watched movies until she fell asleep and the baby fell asleep before the food came. Flying when she was nearly two was a totally different story though.

They don't do the seatbelt around mom and baby any more. It is actually deemed very dangerous. If possible, ask for an 'air cot' for the trip when baby is 9 months. I think the max weight is about 10 or 12 kg. You will have to check. Our baby was 14 months when we flew to Aus. We took the car seat on the plane. She was comfortable and in a familiar environment. I can recommend it. You need to let the airline know beforehand, though if you are taking the seat on board. Sucking a dummy/ bottle / whatever for take-off and landing should help with ear pressure. I took a little book and sangs songs to her. Action rhymes (incy wincy spider, etc.) work well.

I took a lot of bottles filled with water (9) and the milk powder pre-measured in containers on board. Didn't have any problems.