Seats and Carriers

Brick

So have been posts about which are the best seats and such, but lots of people have recently travelled so I would like some opinions again.

1- Is SAA still bad or have they brought in newer aircraft fro the Jhb - Sydney route? - Which airline is best for a direct flight to Australia?

2- The seat issue, which is often out of our control, but does anyone have a seat that they had that was particularly good or bad. Same flight Jhb to Sydney

Thanks

B

SAA do not fly the Jhb to Sydney route, it is done by Qantas. SAA only fly the Jhb to Perth route. Even if you book with SAA for Jhb to Sydney and SAA issue your ticket, you will be flying with Qantas as it is a code share flight. The same goes for the Jhb to Perth route, even if you book on Qantas, you will be flying with SAA as again, it is a code share flight.

As far as seats go, I like to sit on the aisle, in the middle block somewhere near the wings, as I find the least amount of vibration from the aircraft in this area. Also, sometimes you are fortunate that you get an open seat next to you.

If you prefer the window seat, that is fine too, I just prefer the aisle as it is easier to get in and out and then I can get up and take a walk around the aircraft, once every hour!

Hi Mara.

Thanks for that. I did see that it was code share after posting the post. I am going to Hobart so will still need to link up with a jetstar flight.

There was quite a substancial post about seats late last year and yes it seems that the centre row is a better option. I also prefer to sit on the aisle as I am up and down all the time and dislike asking people to move, especially a night flight when they may be sleeping.

B

It seems that Etihad also flies to Sydney (not directly though). Has anyone used them? Flight Centre has tickets for arounf R5000.00 (obviously there is a catch in there somewhere)

B

Hi Brick, why don't you PM Jumbojet, he seems to know all about all the airlines etc... We also looked at that airline, too long a flight!

Eva

Etihad - not a bad airline at all. Flies through their "hub" (or should I say dump) at Abu Dhabi. Planes nice and new... airport horrid.... A long way round to get to Sydney but at that price (and if you have no kids) an option to consider...