(our) FINAL COUNTDOWN

Good Witch

Dear forumites,

I am overjoyed to share with you that we will be flying out on Monday the 19th January, directly to Sydney where we will be spending our first night, as our connecting flight to Wagga only leaves the next day - late enough to give us time for a leisurely breakfast in Sydney... B)

I was quite pleasantly surprised that the flight from Jhb to Sydney is only just over 11 hours long (as opposed to the 20 to 25 hours indirect flights.) That's really not too bad actually, and is about as long as it took us from Cape Town to Frankfurt last year. It's also kinda weird that we'll be flying thru Monday night but completely by-passing Tuesday morning as we'll arrive in Sydney in the late afternoon (yet it will be early morning in ZA.) :wacko::blink::wacko: Tuesday is going to be an exceptionally short day for us! :blink:

Now to finalize the last few things before we board that long-awaited and keenly anticipated flight.

Here's hoping that your joyous moment of departure arrives really soon too! Thanks for sharing this journey with us... :wub:

Hugz

Andi

:hug:

Edited by Andi and Gunther

All the best with your flights out.

Did the Jhb to Sydney not too long ago, quite exhausting - Make sure to check out Sydney from the air on descent - she is truely beautiful.

Take care and good luck.

U will be here before u know it!!

Yes, this has all happened rather fast, hasn't it..? Originally we were expecting to only go over once our 175 PR visa has been granted, but we were so inspired by all the wonderful 457's on this forum, that we decided to try our luck at this option while waiting for our 175 to come thru. Once hubby's Vetassess results were back and he could start applying for work, things moved REALLY fast! It feels like just a few short weeks ago that I asked my fellow forumites to cross fingers and toes that hubby gets a good job, and here we are already - just more than a week before we board the aircraft to Aus!

We are really SO grateful to the Power/s that Be for this opportunity!

Andi

We went to see the movie "Australia" this morning... oh wow... I highly recommend it if you haven't yet done so! The landscape in the movie was eerily familiar! Really beautiful!

After that we did our 'tribute to Cape Town' thing, by taking a 15-minute helicopter trip from the Waterfront to Camps Bay & the 12 apostles, over town and back again... Magnificent views! And the weather today has been splendid!

Yesterday I saw two of my dearest girlfriends, it was a rather sad goodbye… but we made a pinkie-promise pact to take a cruise together in about 5 years time when we all turn 50, somewhere to one of the islands off the Australian coast… something to look forward to!

Good-byes are kinda hard, aren’t they..?

xxx

:rolleyes: will be thinking of you over the next few weeks!

Thanks!!!

Soooo excited! We went to pay for our flight tickets this morning, and now it's all confirmed and very official.

We'll be flying to Sydney on Monday next week, spending Tuesday night in a beautiful hotel on the Darling Harbour (apparently it's quite a lot like V&A Waterfront Cpt?), then we'll be flying out to Wagga the next day (Wednesday.)

The heat in Cape Town is blistering at the moment - and has been so the last few days! I am sure this must be some cosmic joke or something to prepare me for the heat of summer in Aus!

Oh well... I'd better get used to it - FAST!

Looking forward to our Aus experience, starting with our 'outback' (kinda) experience in Wagga Wagga, and evening out with our eventual settling down in (or around) Melbourne!

7 days, and counting...

7 days, and counting...

I feel the excitement for you!!! All the best on your new adventure...

Take care, and keep safe

red

I feel the excitement for you!!! All the best on your new adventure...

Take care, and keep safe

red

Thanks Red! Will do..!

Hi Andi,

It was our last week 2 weeks ago, its a really weird feeling isnt it?? DarThe SYdney is the most beautiful thing i have ever seen, was there 12 years ago and I loved every minute of it.

Saying goodbye is the worst part but there is always Skype and emails!!

Have a good trip.

Is anyone else flying out on Monday the 19th? Qantas from Jhb to Sydney?

The sale of the car fell thru, but luckily we found another buyer! Funny how some things go pear-shaped towards the end, isn't it? I suppose one should anticipate a few hickups along the way...

This morning we managed to hand in my husband's firearm at the police station, tomorrow I need to renew my driver's licence, Saturday to the bank to give power of attorney to a trusted friend, and then... we'll be ready to leave. Finally.

Andi & Gunther

I hope you did not forget to take the hammer and nails... you need to build that house for Saffers...

Do not take as part of your hand luggage that baseball ball bat we've been talking about...

All the best... you have 5 'Wagga Wagga' nights left...

Enjoy...

See ya soon.

Joefromsa

Well, it's Saturday morning, our last in Cape Town. We leave on Monday morning, so this really is it! Off to the bank this morning to sort out the power of attorney thing, and then that's that...

I felt a little strange yesterday, couldn't quite put my finger on it... The closest I could come to describing was like someone who had worked herself into a mania for a year and then suddenly found herself on holiday... the silence, the abrupt nothing-ness... and then the flu usually hits hard and she's in bed for a week! LOL! It feels wonderfully strange to think that there really isn't anything left to do towards our trip to Aus... What hasn't been done by now, can remain undone...

Our car. At first we sold it via Gumtree, but at the last minute the chap pulled out... So, a friend of ours offered to buy the car instead. The nice thing about this arrangement is that we get to drive ourselves to the airport on Monday morning, meet this friend at the airport, hand over keys, car papers etc, and ownership! How very convenient!

Have a great Saturday everyone! I'll probably be able to make one or two last posts before leaving.

Cheers

Andi

Well, it's Saturday morning, our last in Cape Town. We leave on Monday morning, so this really is it! Off to the bank this morning to sort out the power of attorney thing, and then that's that...

I felt a little strange yesterday, couldn't quite put my finger on it... The closest I could come to describing was like someone who had worked herself into a mania for a year and then suddenly found herself on holiday... the silence, the abrupt nothing-ness... and then the flu usually hits hard and she's in bed for a week! LOL! It feels wonderfully strange to think that there really isn't anything left to do towards our trip to Aus... What hasn't been done by now, can remain undone...

Our car. At first we sold it via Gumtree, but at the last minute the chap pulled out... So, a friend of ours offered to buy the car instead. The nice thing about this arrangement is that we get to drive ourselves to the airport on Monday morning, meet this friend at the airport, hand over keys, car papers etc, and ownership! How very convenient!

Have a great Saturday everyone! I'll probably be able to make one or two last posts before leaving.

Cheers

Andi

Hi Andi

Where r u going to stay once you arrive in Wagga Wagga. If you wish I can always meet up with you as I have still this week off (holidays).

Thanks

Pauline

Hi Andi

Where r u going to stay once you arrive in Wagga Wagga. If you wish I can always meet up with you as I have still this week off (holidays).

Thanks

Pauline

Thanks Pauline, that's very kind of you!

Gunther's employer is sending someone to meet us at the airport when we arrive in Wagga from Sydney on Wednesday. They will be taking us thru to the temp accommodation from there - I have no idea what accommodation has been arranged, or where...

Could you possibly PM me your telephone number? That way I'll be able to contact you once we have settled, possibly even as early as by Thursday or Friday next week. It would be terrific if you could show us around, maybe direct us to the nearest Internet Café etc...

What's the temperature like in Wagga at the moment? I have been warned to prepare myself for the heat!

See you soon

Andi

All the best with the flight. We'll be moving to Wagga in Feb/March. We'll have to arrange a South African get together in Wagga sometime soon!