DSL Router

bedlam

Just remember to bring one of those multiplug adapters for all the electrical items with AC/DC adapter plugs.

• 1 month later...
Hi

I have a Mega 200VWR ADSL modem. Would that work in AUS?

Babs

Chances are it would work, BUT be warned most ISP's have a list of modems they are willing to support. These are usually the most common brands like D-Link, Dynalink, Zyxel and Linksys. Sometimes Belkin too. So while there is no reason it shouldn't work, the ISP helpdesk will probably not help you set it up over the phone. They would usually give you the settings and leave you to your own devices.

I had a similar situation with a really expensive and hi-tech Cisco ADSL I got off E-bay. My ISP said it wasn't in their list of supported ADSL routers so they couldn't help. Thankfully I was in the process of doing my Cisco Certifications and could ask my lecturer.

So bring it, just remember RTFM > ISP helpdesk any day ;)

I haven't left SA yet and was wondering if its a good idea to bring my DSL Router/Modem along.

Hi,

We brought ours with. When we connected with Optus they insisted I get a new one as part of the deal.

It is IDENTICAL to the one I already had, just has an Optus sticker on it! Told them I don't want it, but no go, they said mine won't work.

As soon as they left I switched them to check and voila! the old one works perfectly. What a waste of money!

I have a Mega 200VWR ADSL modem. Would that work in AUS?

It will sort of work, but it's not ADSL2+, so you won't be able to take advantage of the higher throughput speeds (up to 24 Mbits/s) that many ISP's will be able to offer you. Also, many ISP's will throw the router in for free, or at a reduced cost, if you sign a longer contract. If you buy your own, you are looking at about $150 to $400 depending on specification and features (from a shop like Officeworks).

I've only had bad experience with Telkom's modems. For some reason on many of them the settings become impossible to alter after a few months of operation. If this happens to your one it will useless in Oz. Also their wireless performance is quite marginal.

I just bought a new Netgear Wireless-N ADSL2+ router from Good Guys for $150. Good solid router for home use. And it's much smaller and nicer looking than the Telkom one.

Omzig you reminded me of something I used to HATE about Telescum in SA. They always network lock their frakking modems! That's another thing to be wary of

• 2 months later...

Telkom ADSL wi-fi router/modem?

it seems it might function - any recent experience from people who got one to work?

I haven't left SA yet and was wondering if its a good idea to bring my DSL Router/Modem along.

SA perhaps, but not all foreign modems will work. I've just returned to Oz after 5 years in Canada, where I had a free (Telus) Telcom-supplied D-Link DSL modem. Of course I packed it. After extensive Google-ing, I realised that the D-Link modem setup has been customized for that particular Telcom, and will only work with Broadband services supplied by them. To "un-customize" it, you need a special login/passwd (not the normal admin login). Due to a non-disclosure agreement, D-Link support will not release the login/passwd, and of course neither will the Telcom. So the D-Link modem is about to land on the scrap-heap of time.

Which brings me to my question. I have just signed on to Internode (with VOIP), mainly because their customer reviews seem good. (While waiting for the connection I am on Virgin 3G. Had iPrimus 5yrs ago). Internode recommends and sells the "Billion" brand of modems, previously unknown to me. Billion seems to be getting good reviews, but are Internode Billion modems portable to other ISPs in case I'm not happy with Internode?

I have a Netgear DG834GT (ADSL 2+) and Linksys WRT54GL, for which I write my own customized routing scripts. I'll be taking both babies with to Oz. I can't wait for the fast speeds <_< I'm a download junkie of note :ilikeit: Between Natalie and I we download roughly 60 - 80 Gigs worth of tv episodes per month in good old RS of A. (not that I watch most of them)

A jump from 4 to 20 Mbit will be a nice speed increase :holy: