Where to stay before you rent

liza

My husband would probably go 2 months before me and my daughter go over. He will only then start looking for a house for us to rent. Where can he stay for that period that would not be to expensive?

Liza

Hi Liza

where in Oz are we talking about?

My hubby stayed in a lodge before girls and I got here, but it was a one small room. But he only stayed there for about 4 or 5 days. Not sure if this is the type of place he would like to stay in for 2 months.

Lindy-Lee

:unsure:

Guest Bronwyn

Try www.realestate.com.au.

You can look at the holiday accommodation in there.

If you just google 'holiday letting Brisbane', you should get lots of sites too.

We are staying in a caravan park for the first few weeks, in an airconditioned cabin. You could also try that. Google ' caravan parks, Brisbane'.

Bronwyn

I'd also suggest the caravan park option - it is cheap and all you need really. After 2 weeks on the road in a motorhome in NZ, making use of public facilities and caravan park laundrettes & kitchens I am converted! (Was a spoiled hotel-only girl before..... :unsure: )

What I would suggest is that you check out the websites of a few as they are not all up to standard.... In NZ the Top 10 group proved to be a notch up from the rest (in general) - don't know what the Aussie "version" would be - maybe an Aussie traveller could help out here?.... (I heard Big 5 before, but that might be something completely different?) Most caravan parks have websites with photos & their facilities listed -some even offer virtual tours. You can Email them for their rates & whatever questions you may have regarding their facilities - they DO respond! Also search under holiday parks - that's what they're sometimes called too.

Hi Liza,

Just remember not to compare "caravan park" in Aus with what you would find in SA. Generally, all facilities here are very good and extremely clean. You even sometimes get two-ply toiletpaper in the public restrooms!

Greetings,

Dreamy

You even sometimes get two-ply toiletpaper in the public restrooms!

Greetings,

Dreamy

:blush: What, u actually get toilet paper...I remember in SA u had to take your own (and walk through the whole park with the roll of loo paper in your hand for all to see.)

Lindy-Lee

:)

Bronwyn what is the rates like, the waiting's nearly over. Would it be ok if I ask you to book for us from your side? Just waiting for the visa stamp. Should not take longer than one month.

Lieze!

Where are you heading in Australia?

Is it just yourself and husband, or are you bring any children with you?

You also have to bear in mind, that if booking into a caravan park in the school holiday period of mid December to late January, they are very popular with Aussies taking their kids to the seaside for a week or two all from all over Australia.

Bookings can be quite hard to make if you leave it later rather than sooner, so if you leave it to Bronwyn who only turns up in Australia in early December, she may not have much luck.

If you are coming to Adelaide, I could make the bookings at this end for you in a week's time.

Edited by Bob

Bob, do you know if there's a rating system for caravan parks in Aus?

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Bob & Lieze

Adelaide Shores was full when we phoned about 3 weeks back. But there was space at Adelaide Caravan Park near town. Website is www.adelaidecaravanpark.com.au (go see the photos)

Here are DAILY rates until March 2007 (don't fall off your chair):-

Villa with spa - $122-137 (Extra adult/child $13/$9)

Executive unit - $114-$129 (Extra adult/child $13/$9)

Holiday unit - $103-$118 ($13/$9)

Self contained cabin - $91-$103 ($13/$9)

Standard cabin - $79-$91 ($10/$5)

Powered site - $28-$31 ($6-$4)

Linen is not provided in the Std cabin :ilikeit: .

As you can see it's still quite expensive compared to what we are used to, but then so will most things be, I think. We phoned them early one morning, tel from S. Africa 0961 8 8363 1566. They confirmed & sent us a fax but did not require a deposit.

If it still sounds expensive, maybe Bob has some other ideas? It sounded quite a bit to us, because a house is a lot cheaper, but then it is furnished, and your electricity & water is included. There are also things for kids to do and swimming pool, etc. :unsure:

Bronwyn

Wow - that does seem a bit expensive! You can rent a house for a whole week for $200 - $400 depending on where you're heading and what your requirements are. Only problem with renting a house - you'll most likely have to sign at least a 6 month contract and also, no furniture..... But then you can rent that too: from linen to the bedside table to a potato peeler & the TV for approx $200 p.w. for a family of 4 - once again depending on your requirements. That comes to approx (avg) $500 per week i.o.w. less than $100 per day.... and you have your own kitchen, bathroom etc.... Just a thought...... :ilikeit:

Have a look at these sites for furniture rental packages. Living edge has 'n "quick-start" package which is aimed at relocating families and has all the essentials you'll need - you can download the info & price list from their site.

http://www.livingedgerental.com.au/ (Most of major cities Australia)

http://www.castlehire.com.au/ (Brisbane)

Hi Bob, Riekie and Bronwyn

My husband should fly out middle January. Should have our visas end of November. Thank you Bob will let you know closer to the time. Must still book the plane and the house market is dead in our town. Put the house up for sale last week and haven't heard a thing. Waiting for tax clearance to book our Furniture.

It seems like accomodation are expencive. Bob we are on our way to Adelaide! What is the house market doing in your town. If you buy a house again, where in Adelaide would it be, the hills? Without thinking which area pops into your head first? We don't want to rent to long 3 months tops!

Hi Bob, Riekie and Bronwyn

My husband should fly out middle January. Should have our visas end of November. Thank you Bob will let you know closer to the time. Must still book the plane and the house market is dead in our town. Put the house up for sale last week and haven't heard a thing. Waiting for tax clearance to book our Furniture.

It seems like accomodation are expencive. Bob we are on our way to Adelaide! What is the house market doing in your town. If you buy a house again, where in Adelaide would it be, the hills? Without thinking which area pops into your head first? We don't want to rent to long 3 months tops! Thank you for the info Riekie and Bronwyn!

For me personally, I'd choose to live in a small country township about 25 to 30 mins from the centre of city of Adelaide called "Mylor", up in the Adelaide Hills.

The Hills is cooler and wetter than the city or suburbs of Adelaide and is "country" with acreages and fields around and about. When Adelaide is stinking hot in summer-time, the Hills is still 5 degrees cooler to let you get a good night's sleep. You also need a spot that is wetter, since you're living in the driest State in the driest continent on Earth . . . Australia. . . .and Mylor gets about 35 inches of rainfall a year, easily enough to keep the fields (and your lawn) green for 11 months of the year!

This township has a general store (still owned by the original family in 1894), a cafe, post office and primary school. It boasts a cricket oval which doubles up as an Aussie Rules footie oval too, in winter.

Mylor is soooo pretty with trees everywhere and is relaxed. If you can imagine country folk just talking to each other for a minute or two, as they go in and out of the Post Office to get their mail each day, that is Mylor . . . . a warm friendly place where everyone in the town is wlecome. . . . no rush, no stress . . . and the city only 30 mins easy drive away!

Your kids would know what childhood is all about by climbing trees, fishing in the local creek, and hanging out with their mates over the fields. You wouldn't see them all afternoon till they turned up at tea-time, probably all dirty but with grins all over their faces from having so much fun with their mates in the town that they'd popped over to play with. My three kids used to "disappear" all arvo like this, but in Tasmania, and they had some good times now that they're all older and reminiscing.

If this ain't paradise, it's gotta be pretty close!

Mount Barker Caravan Park, 35 minutes down the Freeway to Adelaide city centre has 3 stars.

Deluxe cabin $80 a night + $5 each child

Budget cabin $65 a night + $5 each child

All cabins have en-suite, cooking facilities, TV, Heating / cooling. No pets.

www.parks-sa.com.au

It's an expensive way to go, but if only staying a week, it may be all there is until a house can be rented for about $250 to $300 a week for 3 to 4 bedroomed house.

Hi Bob,

With PR like that, we'll all want to live there soon! Just joking, I love my town, maybe because it is also a country town, and the cities don't really appeal to me.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Liza,

I'd stay in the city so that he is close to all amenities and this gives him the opportunity to get to know the city and everything it has to offer. Also depending on his work situation he'd be close to recruitment agencies and other facilties ( cheap car rentals, good public transport etc, cheap restaurants, shops and eateries) to help you guys set up and going. Being in some of the suburbs could be quite restricting since you might not know which one you'd like to settle in and it is often difficult to get around to explore.

I would not worry too much with securing accommodation for too long beforehand from SA. Maybe he can get himself booked into a fairly decent hotel for say 2 - 3 days, that you can book from SA (via a very basic internet search). In those first couple of days he can spend some time checking out other longer term options. There are a good range available and when he is here he can check it out for himself and negotiate better prices for a possible longer term stay. Good suburbs very close to the city centre (walking distance) to look at is Spring Hill, New Farm, Fortitude Valley, Newstead. Here you'd get a whole range of accommodation. For good car rental deals try "Damn Cheap car rentals" and "Abel" Car rentals (google search for those in Brisbane to get thier details)

We lived in a serviced apartment in Spring Hill for a couple of week whilst searching for jobs and exploring Brisbane and surrounds. It was a great time and we always think back to that time with fond memories. When you eventually end up in the suburbs you'll have the extra bonus of knowing the city very well.

Hope this helps.

Brissy BUG

Guest Bronwyn

Hi there - Forgot to say we asked for a discount at Adelaide Caravan Park and they gave us 10%. ;) I just checked the booking form and it's come in at $126.90 per night for the 5 of us, for 12 nights. But we wanted 3 bedrooms, so you can probably do a little better on the price if you only need a smaller place.

Bob's option sounds very good too. I'd consider it, the Hills are stunning. We are happy to be close to town for the first 2 weeks though. It's our short-term goal to get out to Bob's piece of paradise.

We booked a car through Brian Thredgold as per Annette's suggestion to me. He gave us a much better rate than what I could find on the internet. E-mail him on aussiecar@chariot.net.au. They will also fetch us straight from the airport. He seems a good guy! :)

Bye, Bronwyn