Cleaning water stains off shower doors

CandiceM

Ok I am the first to admit I am not a very good housekeeper. I hate cleaning and it seems to be a vicious cycle, clean and then the kids make a huge mess 5 seconds later. So I have been a bit slack on the shower doors, normally just spray some shower spray on the doors when I get out of the shower, and make sure we don't use soap, only gel cleansers in it etc. So imagine my horror when I realised that what I thought was dirt, was actually water marks from the calcium in the water drying and melding itself to the glass. Not too much of a problem, I have about 4000 cleansers for the shower (I make up my adversion to cleaning by buying every cleansing product known to man) try all of them and nothing, the marks don't budge, not a problem go online and see what other say. So i tried the vinegar, the bicarb and vinegar, CLR, OVEN CLEANER!!, super 10 and nothing happens at all. Stressed out of my mind and after spending three days in the shower cubicle in a combination of all the above chemicles,(and probally a bit high from the combination of noxious fumes) I thought well thats it we will have to replace the screen doors and mentally adding that to the groaning list of things to spend my money on.

Anyway online again on page 5 of the google search I find a product called 30seconds, which assures me will get rid on any water marks, and bunnings stock it, so off to our local bunnings and we search, they have every other 30 seconds products, from algae cleaner to cobweb remover, but do you think they have the calcium and lime scale remover...? NO!!!!!!!!!! So I am about to have a nervous breakdown because of the lack of 30 seconds when behind a couple of very commercial looking household products I spot a yellow bottle the size of a coke can called SPOT -X Hard water stain/spot remover. The first thing I noticed is it wasn't a liquid cleaner (those had all failed), but as the instructions said a powder which you mix with water and then scrub the stain. So we bring it home and I am now stressing cause if we scratch the glass we will definately have to replace it or lose some of the bond. I try it on a small patch and low and behold the stuff actually WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after two days of cleaning I am proud to say I have shower doors I can actually see out of. It also removed a small rust mark off the shower tiles as well.

Thay have a web address www.spot-x.com, I didn't use the pad, just a normal lappie. Also the great thing is that its not actually chemical more a rubbing compound.

Hope this helps someone else out there

Candice

Edited by CandiceM

Ok I am the first to admit I am not a very good housekeeper. I hate cleaning and it seems to be a vicious cycle, clean and then the kids make a huge mess 5 seconds later.

Candice

Thanks Candice, I had a good chuckle reading your post.

Kids really don't make the cleaning process easy do they?

Thanks Candice, I had a good chuckle reading your post.

Kids really don't make the cleaning process easy do they?

Ja and by kids I mean my son AND my husband hahaha

Thank you Candice M

I too have every cleaning product known to man( perhaps I am hoping they will climb off the shelf and clean the house by themselves), easy off bam, clr, citro clean, jif, shower power etc and had done the exact same thing, going onto the internet and having to watch silly videos of a woman cleaning a shower.

I moved in to this house 4 months ago and had given up with the shower, it is so bad it is cloudy....... I just started avoiding looking at it.

I will be searching for some spot-x and having a look at the website too.

CandiceM,

Thanks for sharing! I'm off to Bunnings for that. I've had the same problem.

• 3 months later...

Hi Candice

Thanks for this info as I have also had this problem. I will also try this in the future :)

Once your shower is clean keep a squidgee(??) in the shower to dry the glass after the last person showered in the morning and at night. Its normally me, so I just dry the glass off to prevent marks forming again. What will we do without good old Bunnings.

i need some too...does it clean shower floor also?

ours was white when we moved in, and now its gone all grey and patchy....OH says i scrubbed too hard and stripped it of its covering layer...i've already written off the bond so maybe i should just leave it....

THANK YOU CANDICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading your post was like listening to myself..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be getting some in the next day or so.........YOUR A STAR!!!!

Ok I am the first to admit I am not a very good housekeeper. I hate cleaning and it seems to be a vicious cycle, clean and then the kids make a huge mess 5 seconds later. So I have been a bit slack on the shower doors, normally just spray some shower spray on the doors when I get out of the shower, and make sure we don't use soap, only gel cleansers in it etc. So imagine my horror when I realised that what I thought was dirt, was actually water marks from the calcium in the water drying and melding itself to the glass. Not too much of a problem, I have about 4000 cleansers for the shower (I make up my adversion to cleaning by buying every cleansing product known to man) try all of them and nothing, the marks don't budge, not a problem go online and see what other say. So i tried the vinegar, the bicarb and vinegar, CLR, OVEN CLEANER!!, super 10 and nothing happens at all. Stressed out of my mind and after spending three days in the shower cubicle in a combination of all the above chemicles,(and probally a bit high from the combination of noxious fumes) I thought well thats it we will have to replace the screen doors and mentally adding that to the groaning list of things to spend my money on.

Anyway online again on page 5 of the google search I find a product called 30seconds, which assures me will get rid on any water marks, and bunnings stock it, so off to our local bunnings and we search, they have every other 30 seconds products, from algae cleaner to cobweb remover, but do you think they have the calcium and lime scale remover...? NO!!!!!!!!!! So I am about to have a nervous breakdown because of the lack of 30 seconds when behind a couple of very commercial looking household products I spot a yellow bottle the size of a coke can called SPOT -X Hard water stain/spot remover. The first thing I noticed is it wasn't a liquid cleaner (those had all failed), but as the instructions said a powder which you mix with water and then scrub the stain. So we bring it home and I am now stressing cause if we scratch the glass we will definately have to replace it or lose some of the bond. I try it on a small patch and low and behold the stuff actually WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after two days of cleaning I am proud to say I have shower doors I can actually see out of. It also removed a small rust mark off the shower tiles as well.

Thay have a web address www.spot-x.com, I didn't use the pad, just a normal lappie. Also the great thing is that its not actually chemical more a rubbing compound.

Hope this helps someone else out there

Candice

i need some too...does it clean shower floor also?

As strange as it may seem, I use Harpic Max toilet cleaner to clean my shower floor. Leave it on for a few minutes and lightly scrub afterwards.

Hubby came up with this brilliant plan after accidently spilling a small patch on the shower's floor. A beautiful white patch appeared and "voilla" - the rest is history.

I use spirits. Apply it with a newspaper. For the windows as well. Do you get spirits in Aus?

we get alchohol spirits - but I would rather drink it than clean the shower with it ;) ( i hate housework...maybe we should drink the spirits when starting the the housework and the showers will look less cloudy :blink:

we get alchohol spirits - but I would rather drink it than clean the shower with it ;) ( i hate housework...maybe we should drink the spirits when starting the the housework and the showers will look less cloudy :blink:

You are so funny!! :(:lol::lol:

got a shopping list now of stuff to try though....save the spirits for last, and wont be used on the shower...

Aha! Another reason to go to Bunnings! I love that shop!

I'm off to Bunnings because in need spot-x too.

Thanks so much.

L'mari

Every few days I windolene the shower window - I don't have any problems with it going white, but that could be the water in or area, or maybe it is because our window is perspex?

• 1 year later...

So it's moving time again and I need to clean to shower doors! I had no idea where I would be able to find Spot X in ACT, so I googled Spot-X, and called the distributor (based in Victoria), and found out that your local Bunnings should carry it in stock. If they don't you can order direct from the them. Here is their website http://www.handihome.com.au/cleaning_menu.htm for $29 incl postage. I managed to get it at the Belconnen Bunnings.

This stuff is just as fantastic as I remember it. Cleaned the shower with minimum effort and no toxic fumes. Love this stuff!!

No I don't get paid for promoting this ....but I think I should :whome:

Candice

domestos is the best takes it off. put on sponge scorer neat and rub then wash off

and its only what? six bucks a bottle!

my favourite cleaning product from baths to toilets to kitchen counters, everything gets domestosed by me!

I have a WIDE window cleaner (can also use for car windows) that I run across shower doors and tiles after each shower, no worries to even use any cleaning stuff, shower doors remains perfectly clean (picked up this tip from an Aussie lady)

Glad Spot X works for you, JUST LOVE your post!

Once you've used the spot-X and your shower door is nice and clean, head off to Woollies and Coles and buy a spray bottle of "Method" shower spray - I promise you'll love me for this because it really is fantastic at keeping the glass clean!! I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Method is made by Enyo and they have a whole range of cleaning products but I have only used this one so far. Seriously, I spray just before I get out the shower (has a great smell, no chemicals etc etc) and I only need to give the shower glass a good wash down about every 6 months!!