Question to people in the Accountancy profession in Oz

blessings

Hey guys and girls!

Whow! Can't believe it is the end of the year. My my, what a year!

I need some advise please. Enrolled at Unisa beginning of year for Higher Certificate in Accountancy. Finished 6 subjects, 14 left. At that stage didn't had any plans moving to Oz. Now I'm starting to think it will be a time and money waster to finish course. If I carry on, I'll most probably have to finish it in Oz. I mean, will this course mean anything to me in Oz? Cause I've heard so many stories of people have to redo exams, employers seeking for Oz qualifications. Any suggestions or advise will be welcome PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you entering on another qualification or a partners? Either way I would enrol in Aus.

We have in Australia something similar to Unisa, it is called Open University of Australia. I have given the link below. Perhaps check with them whether or not they will recognise the subjects that you already have and what it would cost for you to carry on with them.

https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/!ut/...NElVRS82XzBfRFQ!

Hi Blessings

I was a CFA in SA, not CA. Busy redoing tax and corporations law through Open Uni (see Mara's post). Work for a small firm in Sydney. If you are not South African CA you can not register with any of the accounting bodies as a full member. I also have to do 6 modules through CPA to qualify to get full membership. They did accept all my SA degree subjects (old RAU-kie), excl tax and corporations law, understandably.

Best to be CA or CPA in Aus, to get a job in one of the big cities. Otherwise it will take a little longer to get a position but not impossible.

Hope I helped.

Cheers

J

Blessings,

Ek weet nie wanneer jy van plan is om Oz toe te kom nie maar my opinie is dat, indien jy kan, jy daar klaar swot want dis belaglik duur om in Oz te swot, veral as jy nie PR het nie. Dan kan jy hierheen kom en jou kwalifikasie (graad of diploma) word hier erken. Rekeningkunde is maar net debiete/krediete, maak nie saak of jy in SA of Oz is nie. As jy jou kennis wil "localise" kan jy net tax en maatskappyreg addisioneel doen wanneer jy hier is, of selfs per korrespondensie vanaf SA. Ek het myne gedoen terwyl ek nog in SA was, deur Charles Sturt universitet. Hulle het 'n gekombineerde tax/mpyreg vak wat beteken jy betaal net vir een vak, nie 2 nie. Dis 'n baie goedkoper opsie reken ek.Sterkte met julle planne.

Hi everyone

I am currently bussy preparing my skills assessment. I do have 9 out of the 12 core subjects of which 2 of them are South African tax and corporate law.

Does this mean that I will receive a negative skills assessment from CPA?

Do you recommend redoing tax and corporate law before doing my skills assessment? And can you give me a slight idea of study fees at the Open University and Charles Sturt University?

Please help.

Carien

Carien,

I had no issues because I only had SA tax/company law when I had my skills assessment done. I am a South African CA and it was very simple to have the skills assessment done. My friend, who was not a CA or a CPA, (he just had a BCom (Hons) with articles and some work experience) also did not have any problems. We both did our Aussie tax/company law after we were granted our visas, as permanent residents pay a hugely reduced fee (about half of what international students pay). Take a look at this site. It shows that the cost is $1200 for PR's and $2050 for international students in 2009.

http://www.csu.edu.au/division/finserv/fee.../associate.html

The course code for the tax/law subject at Charles Sturt Uni (CSU) is LAW380 and it was easy to enroll and to do it from SA. Dont know much about Open Uni, but CSU was no problems at all, and the fact that it is a combined subject makes it even cheaper. The course was 6 months - I had to do 2 assignments (submitted online) and an open-book written exam (did it at Wits) at the end of the semester. In practical terms it was exactly like studying through Unisa.

Good luck with all your planning.... its daunting and exciting at the same time and definitely worth it in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that ICAA has removed the requirement for tax and corporate law from Aus...i.e. you can have tax and corp law from anywhere for your skills assessment. Not sure about CPA or NIA.

With CPA, you don't need tax and corp law to 'pass' your skills assessment. You need it though to become a full member of CPA Australia, otherwise you can only join them as an associate member ... not sign off accounts or audit or anything ... for anyone wanting to work in public practise in Aus.

Hallo Jannie,

Wanted to know regarding this, because my skills assesment was positive, but I have to do accounting theory to become a full CPA member.

Do you maybe have information on where to do that or how does it work? Did you do your outstanding subjects?

I will appreciate your help.

Regards

Blessings,

Ek het 'n Bcom van Stellenbosch en hon bcomm accounting deur Unisa gedoen. My skills assesment was oorspronklik afgekeur, ek moes tax of company law doen in Oz. My agent het my toe gehelp om te registreer by Univ Southern Queensland, bekend as USQ. Klasse gekry op DVD, assignments gedoen on line en eksamen geskryf in Bellville, baie goed georganized, niks soos ons geliefde Unisa nie. Was nie baie moeilik nie, nog nooit in my lewe so goed gedoen in my swottings nie. Moet jou waarsku, dit is f :lol: duur.

Z

Ek was CFA nou SAIPA lid in SA die NIA National institute of Accountants erken my as 'n volle lid ek moet net Aus Tax Law en Aus Companies Law doen. Ek weet SAIPA het 'n ooreenkoms met NIA dat lede erken word. Ek het my Nationale Diploma in Interne Oudit deur Technicon Pretoria en my BTech deur Technicon SA gedoen en ek het die 3 jaar SAIPA program gedoen.

Hi Blessings

I was a CFA in SA, not CA. Busy redoing tax and corporations law through Open Uni (see Mara's post). Work for a small firm in Sydney. If you are not South African CA you can not register with any of the accounting bodies as a full member. I also have to do 6 modules through CPA to qualify to get full membership. They did accept all my SA degree subjects (old RAU-kie), excl tax and corporations law, understandably.

Best to be CA or CPA in Aus, to get a job in one of the big cities. Otherwise it will take a little longer to get a position but not impossible.

Hope I helped.

Cheers

J

Hi,

Sorry ek het van NIA vergeet. Ek is nie seker oor presies wat hulle assosiasie behels nie. Ek is in privaat praktyk in Sydney so het CPA of CA nodig om state te kan afteken. Met CA(SA) kan jy dadelik by CA (Aus) registreer ... laaste wat ek in elk geval op hulle website gelees het van pelle by Deloitte hier verstaan het. Maar check dalk met SAICA se kantoor in Sydney. Hulle het in die laaste jaar kantoor hier opgesit.

Ek is besig met die CPA kursusse. Is erg duur as jy nie PR het nie, maar nie onbekostigbaar as jy op PR is nie. Ek doen belasting en korporatiewe reg deur Open Universities. Is verseker die bekostigbare opsie. Gaan loer by www.open.edu.au.

Hoop dit help.

J

• 4 weeks later...