Can I apply for citizenship?

ExASP

Hello all ....I need some advice please...On the 11th November 2006, I will have had my PR for two years and can apply for citizenship. Which is what I want to do. BUT we never formally emmigrated because we got told that we had to close all our bank accounts. We still have our house (going to sell it soon) and my Brother in law bought a piece of land from us and will still be paying us for the next 5 years.

Now my question is this: what is the implications of us applying for citizenship although we have not officially emmigrated? AND what is the financial implications for us of getting Aus citizenship and not keeping SA citizenship . Any people who had the same situation ? I will be very thankfull for advice on this

Hi ASP

We never formally left SA (5 years ago) and became citizens last year. I hear that legislation has since changed, but we had to apply to the SA Embassy in Canberra to retain our SA Citizenship. It was granted.

But-to answer one of your questions, eventhough we never "formally" left- when we applied for Ozzie citizenship no questions were asked.

You need to weigh up the positives and negatives in obtaining Australian Citizenship.

I don't know about the pros in keeping Sth African citizenship, but if I can just summarise the pros of being an Australian:

Hold an Australian passport.

Can enter and leave Australia without restriction or formalities (e.g. visas) needed

Can send your kids to any Uni in Australia and get heavily subsidised Uni tuition fees, as opposed to those available to just permanent residents.

Can apply for Australian Commonwealth (Federal), State / Territory, and local gov't jobs.

Can vote in all Federal, State / Territory and local gov't elections.

Can run for office as a Federal, State or local gov't member (politician or local gov't mayor / councillor)

. . . . just consider if these outweigh the negatives in getting Australian citizenship and, if they do, go for it!

Thanks Guys..I dont really want to keep my SA citizenship..mainly because it takes too long to get the nod. And I read Bob's pro's list. B) We are definitaly going to apply for the citizenship...I actually just want to know if I can get my money out and how much I will have to cough up to the taxman. We dont owe anything to the taxman..we sent in our IRP5's and all that..but then my knowledge of the financial world is very limited... :unsure:

Can send your kids to any Uni in Australia and get heavily subsidised Uni tuition fees, as opposed to those available to just permanent residents.

Hi Bob

Just for interest sake, PR's also qualify for the subsidised Uni fees (called Commenwealth Supported students nowadays) but don't qualify for HECS-HELP. The latter being an interest-free loan where the Australian Goverment pays the fees to education provider on the student's behalf. This only becomes repayable, in instalments, by the student once a certain taxable income threshold is reached.