Cape Town Area Guide and Photo Gallery

Liz_CT

Question

Hi Everyone,

I still live in Cape Town and am planning on moving to Canada (so I'm really a visitor over here from the Canada Forum). But anyway, here are some of my thoughts.

No one really knows what the future holds for SA. The so-called experts, political commentators, and economic hotshots have no better clue than anyone else.

My view is that it's important to have a foreign passport (which I don't). If one has a foreign passport and some form of roots in another country, however tenuous, then it's feasible to come back to SA. Because if the time comes when it literally becomes compelling to leave for whatever reason, then one can do so. Hence my decision to get into the queue for permanent residency in Canada.

Right now, SA is still a fantastic place to live and I am very very happy here. I'm proud of Cape Town, and of SA. But.... I'm unsure about the future.

Since this is the forum for those who may want to come back to SA, I thought I'd show off a website I made, showcasing Cape Town to its best. I hope you don't mind me posting this here, as it's blatant self promotion, but I really think that if anyone is wanting to come back to Cape Town, or just fancies a trip down memory lane, then I think they'll really enjoy my site.

Please let me know what you think of it. Cape Town Area Guide & Photo Gallery

I love SA and I feel it's going to be heart wrenching to leave. I suppose you all know what I mean :-)

-Liz

8 answers to this question

Thanks Liz. That is so kind of you. I hope you enjoy your life in Canada and get to visit your beautiful roots regularly.

Kind Regards

K

Cape Town is by far, the best place in SA. i'll be back there in 8 days :ilikeit: cant wait.

Been in the US 25 years, have a US passport, and I'm seriously thinking about moving back to Cape Town to retire. Just spent 2 weeks on a cruise with my sister, husband and 2 kids (they live in Roodepoort), and I miss seeing the kids grow up. I have a choice, stay in the US, work like a slave with 10 vacation days a year till I'm over 65, get very little or no return on my money and investments, or sell everything and cash out and invest it in SA at 10% interest. My american wife is willing to go as well, she loves SA, and we actually got married on a trip there. Crime is our biggest turnoff, but we both believe things are about to get very rough here in the US. They have digged a hole for themselves that will be difficult to escape from. We will go check it out end of 2009 and decide if we want to make a move.

We are also doing it so that we have a plan B. Live in Cape Town and love it. Have been living overseas for more than 10 yrs and returned "

to never leave again" but things have changed and i cannot wait for crime to happen first. It is like protecting your child from drowning -You might not have a 2nd chance.

This is so sad!!!!!

Hi Liz

Thank-you so much for sharing your beautiful photo's.

My folks live in Cape Town and it was the last place we saw when we left RSA in December 2005.

I had actually forgotten how very beautiful Cape Town is.

My only way of keeping up with what is happening over there is through news24 etc and obviously there isn't much good news to report.

I suppose this has clouded my perception somewhat, so your photo's have really touched me- I feel quite homesick now!

For those of you in Cape Town, enjoy it you lucky things.

Peace and Goodwill

AndreaL

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the forum!

I grew up in Cape Town so really enjoyed seeing your pics. Such an awesome place!

If you love Cape Town, you'll love Melbourne and Sydney, very much the same vibe! Sydney just has better weather <_< !

zorba

Edited by zorba

Hi julle,

Net om julle jaloers te maak, ek het vanoggend terug gekeer Johannesburg toe na 'n week se vakansie in die KAAP.

Eerste fotos is uit Somerset Wes geneem op Nuwejaarsdag met die berge oor Valsbaai te sien.

post-154-1231009965.jpg

Die tweede was gister, die familie konfereer oor waar te eet by die V&A Water front.

Maar ek sien uit om terug te vlieg huistoe Donderdag!

D B)

post-154-1231010012.jpg

Edited by Danie