Eating out

Guest Bronwyn

It's me again on the subject of food. I have two questions. I got very confused when eating out the last time we were in Australia. As most of you know, in South Africa the waiters rely on tips as a salary, and 10% added to the bill is the norm. I used to be a waitress many years ago, and so I make sure I am always fair and tip the waiters 10%, as this is usually their only income.

In Australia this seems unusual. I felt a bit red-faced not tipping, but I know the waiters already earn a good wage.

1) What does one do??? Just to pay the tab and leave seems so rude to me... :)

2) What is the deal with the water that is brought to your table in a jug? Do you have to ask for it if it doesn't arrive? Is there a charge for this water? Is it tap water? :)

Thanks! Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn

I was actually involved with a company that owned restaurants, and no, they do not expect to be tipped. I would say if you had an especially good night out, or something out of the ordinary service was offered, then by all means, give something extra, with a comment why!

The water that is presented in jugs, is tap water, and if you do not receive it automatically, you should be able to ask for it. Specify that you want tap water though, or they may just bring you bottled water so that they can charge you for it.

Mara

Oh Boy! . . . . where to start??

Another history lesson in explaing why Australians DON'T tip.

Essentially, Australians are a "working class" people. Migrants coming to Australia over the past 30 years have changed this demographic aspect to some extent, but older Aussies are still working class in the way they behave and interact with each other. This lends itself to Australia being more egalitarian than most other countries.

Aussies have long held the belief that every man is entitled to earn a "living" wage. This was enshrined in Australian industrial relations in a test case back in 1907. It was called the "Harvester" case where the Unions backed a worker demanding enough wages to support himself and a family of wife and three kids. This has influenced all other wage cases in Australia since then . . . . almost 100 years! . . . although in this age of globalisation, even that is under threat.

Australia became a heavily unionised country where the Trade Unions and professional associations would argue with business organisations for a new round of wages for workers for the next two to three years. This is called "arbitration" and the result is an "award" under which Unions and business expect workers to work for and subscribe to.

Every worker in Australia is therefore working under an "Award", the pay rate being enforcible by law and the hours of work and working conditions all set down.

An Australian waiter earns a sufficient "award" rate so that they are able to live off it without relying on externals like tips and back handers.

Occasionally, you can offend an Aussie by offering a tip, so be sensitive if you offer one for service going beyond what's normally expected. It's not the norm to tip waiters or taxi drivers, etc.

Personally, I don't tip.

I know the bloke or girl is getting a decent wage and I'm paying for the service anyway in my bill.

I'm just a working man the same as them.

Edited by Bob

Thanks Mara & Bob, that info is interesting & useful.

Sam is right, we certainly didn't grow up with these things. Everyone should be entitled to a decent, liveable wage for a day's honest work, but that seems like Utopia to so many millions of South Africans.

If it were the case in South Africa, we would have a small percentage of the social problems we now have.

:)

Bronwyn

Edited by B H

Hi Bronwyn,

Thank you for asking this question!!! My family experience the exact same thing when they were in Australia in July 2006 and my father was very embarrassed not to tip and so were the waiters when they were tipped!

Bob and Mara, thanks for clarifying this to us. :):):holy:

Lovies, Pippa

. . . . . just letting you guys into seeing how Australians see the world.

That way, you shouldn't make too many stuff ups with Aussies! :)