Second installment of visa fee

Hi,

I just want to make sure: :P

The way I understand it is that you only have to pay the second installment of the visa fee which is AUD 2 765 if your dependant does not have sufficient english skill and needs to be trained in Aus. From the fee documents I have I can see that this is the case for the 134 visa but it is a little less clear for the 136 visa. I assume it is the same for 136 but just wanted to make sure.

So if I am right that means that my de facto partner can prove that she has functional english (diploma taught in english and 2 years work experience in the UK) and therefore we will not have to pay the second installment but only the first one?

Can anybody just clear that up for me? :)

Thanks

W

Werner, when you look at the criteria for 136 in Booklet 6, you'll see that an IELTS test is required if you emigrate from a non-english speaking country. SA is considered a non-english speaking country cause they've got the 11 official languages thing.

The second installment thing on 136 applies to spouses who are unable/or refuse to provide a positive IELTS test or satisfactory proof of english ability. Because on 136, both main applicant and spouse has to provide proof of english language ability.

For a South African to skip having to take the IETLS test (wether spouse or main applicant), you have to give sufficient proof by certain standards. Read these threads:

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=1208&hl=ielts

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=703&hl=ielts

Hope it answers your question.

Edited by Sam

Hi Werner

Having written the IELTS and passing I would suggest that you write the IELTS. Sam is absolutely correct in saying that you have to write the IELTS, you only have to not write it if you are an UK, USA or Canadian citizen.

The test is really not hard, if you are thinking of buying some of the exam packs I would suggest buying the Book only as this is enough to get you though it.

Cheers

Rudi

Hi,

As far as I can see you undersand it correctly.

I have read some of these instruction more than once and understood the seconds installment to apply only if you, or one of your dependants (normally somebody over 18) have failed to get the required IELTS marks. The money is to be paid and is used for English training for each person who cannot English language ability (I bet some families are paying a fotune)