Advise re ANZ Bank

Gee

Hi all,

I am a new member to this great website

We received our permanent residency to Aus this year and will relocate to Melbourne in Dec 2007

Quite a few of my ex South African friends in Australia have joined ANZ Bank and have mentioned thay have been really happy with the service they have received.

What is this bank like - products offered, service levels, flexibility re new immigrants compared to the other Aus banks??

Any advise is welcome

tx

Gavin

When I came here we started with ANZ, they gave great service. Then the wife (who was and is again in the banking and financial sector) did the homework, and we are now at NAB, better deals with OK service.

Hey there

We are with ANZ and have some savings a/c's, credit card, car finance and have not had any hassles with them. They are really great.

:ilikeit: We are with them. Couldn't be happier! On every front they've been superb. However I also have a separate account with Savings & Loans Credit Union and they are almost even better .... :whome:

Out of the four major banks down the High Street, perhaps the A.N.Z. Bank is one of, if not the best, for service.

However, for product, I point people in the direction of the Member's Equity Bank.

The Member's Equity Bank has had a full banking licence from the Australian gov't since 1999 and is owned by the Superannuation funds in Australia.

We, as working men and women, own the superannuation funds.

The Member's Equity Bank therefore doesn't make exorbitant profits for its shareholders each year that you, as a customer of a High Street bank, have to pay for.

Member's Equity Bank lend money to people who work in Australia and, therefore, have an account with one of the superannuation funds.

You can get home loan rates at 1/2% to a full 1% cheaper than the average home loan from a High Street bank over the full term of the home loan . . . . . 10 to 25 years.

Member's Equity bank don't charge a "service fee" on their home loans, as the High Street banks do, saving $8 to $12 a month in your pocket

and you don't have to pay the usual $600 fee, out of your pocket, to set up or "establish" the home loan in the first place.

My credit card, a Member's Equity mastercard, has only 10.9% interest with 44 days interest-free to pay, compared to 15% to 18% from a High Street bank.

Think about it . . . . . before you sign your life away.

Guest Bronwyn

Hello there - Thanks for info on ANZ Bank. We downloaded their non-resident forms and filled them in for a joint account, posted them per snail mail, and are now the proud holders of a non-res ANZ Bank account.

I e-mailed the client service officer there and asked what credit interest we would earn in a non-res account, but he came back and said it is very minimal. B) So we still have our Rands cooling their heels here earning 7,5% pa.

Problem is the old story of the slipping Rand (apparently another 3% in 3 days). Do we hold out for 7,5% per annum or put it in Dollars now and earn no interest?

Do any financial fundis have any advice/opinions on this age-old dilemma?

Otherwise, Bob do you know of any alternatives there? It's not a fortune but It's what we have to set up our new life, so it's kinda important to us.

I have given up the sleepless nights about the Rand already, except for a few moments of panic at 3am... :unsure:

Bronwyn

PS. Just a quick one - Approximately what debit interest rates can one expect to pay a car & house off at? I can work out the installments myself if I know the rates, but most bank websites seem to skip that bit...

Out of the four major banks down the High Street, perhaps the A.N.Z. Bank is one of, if not the best, for service. However, for product, I point people in the direction of the Member's Equity Bank.

Thanks for your valuable advice, Bob.

What's your opinion of St. George Bank?

Regards

Charl

I'm not sure about ANZ specifically, but most banks here give the highest deposit interest rates for special "online" accounts. I have one with St George Bank - they call it a "Directsaver" account.

Other similar accounts are:

ING - Savings Maximiser

BankWest - TeleNet Saver

CBA - NetBank Saver

AMP - eASYSAVER Account

NAB - National iSaver

Westpac - Max-i Direct

You won't get 7.5% though, probably closer to 5.75%, and perhaps around 6.5% for limited introductory offers.

You can compare account features for those and others at:

http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking/atcallsavings/

Those accounts are called "Hi-yield online accounts" there.

You can also compare rates and features for home and personal loans there if you start at

http://www.infochoice.com.au/banking

I see ANZ has an account called ANZ V2 PLUS but that seems to be more like a normal transaction account (slightly lower interest rate than most of the above.)