What is this?

polly

I'm not sure Polly - I've seen them too and can remember asking someone, but can't remember what they said and haven't tried them yet.

I think it's a kind of fruit from Asia if I remember correctly. Probably very similar to the star fruit you get over there.

Maybe we should buy one and find out?? :ilikeit:

I had to smile though. I'm just picturing you in the supermarket with your camera taking a picture of the fresh produce.... :ilikeit:

You should see me try to take inconspicuous pictures :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

PS so I can eat this raw?

Edited by polly

I also saw them - but don't want to be the first to try. I have never seen somebody buying it though!

Talk about food - went to David Jones in Sydney CBD yesterday - I read somewhere on the forum they have biltong. So, I found the biltong and droewors at around $80 p.kg!!! Suddenly I don't feel for biltong anylonger.

PS so I can eat this raw?

Yup! I'll be honest, I have tasted them but I can't remember what they taste like.... not awful otherwise I'd remember!

Durian

The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia.

The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Regarded by some as fragrant, others as overpowering and offensive, the smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in Southeast Asia.

Sounds lovely!! :blink:

Polly i have no idea what that is, but you really made me laugh from the idea of you taking secret pics in super markets! LOL!

Al

Hi Polly, yes its durian, its asian, very strong smell - in Asia when we saw them they take great delight in telling you they smell 'like a woman's private parts' - hence the fact hubby and I refused to try them (and believe me we ate all sorts of gross stuff)!! You eat it raw as its a fruit, just open it up but yuk, no thanks!

oooookkkkkkkaaaaayyyyy......

Maybe not gonna try it! :D

Thank goodness for camera phones. Now and then I make like I am talking on the phone and try to take a pic. I don't know if I fool anyone. I think people here think I am a little 'eccentric' :) :)

Definitely a durian and it definitely stinks!

It is illegal to transport them in a cab or public transport system in Singapore - I think the fine is about $500.

I had durian ice cream in Singapore and burped durian for the rest of the day!! The after-taste was not all that great although the ice cream was nice at the time. <_<

We really need to have a voting system on this forum. :) This thread must surely be the "Thread of the Week" ;)

Very popular in Singapore

You eat it as is - peel it and eat the fruit inside.

It tastes pretty ok, but hs a very distinct smell. Durian fruit is banned from public office space in Singapore

You cant bring to the office for your lunch or a snack

Rgds

Matman

I remember trying this at the market in Hong Kong - think it was this ??yuck Not my best !!

Well Polly thanks for the warning that this thread has generated. I will not be trying it on arrival!

Al :thumbdown:

:thumbdown::ilikeit::lol::lol::lol::cry::cry: Ek huil nou behoorlik soos ek lag.....

Ek roep my man om te kom kyk na die foto en jy moes sy gesig sien.... hy het laas jaar in Singapore gebly vir 4 maande en ek wou my nou skeer toe ek sien hoe hy sy gesig trek.

Hy sê jy moet asseblief nie dit eers probeer nie.... dit ruik soos bollie.......