Bank Accounts

wynie

Yes it is possible to open a bank account on your LSD trip. If you are interested in opening an account at Commonwealth bank in Perth I have contact details for you.

Along the same lines:

Is it possible to open a bank account in Aus while you are in South Africa without/before going to Aus? Just curious really!

Yes it is possible to open a bank account on your LSD trip. If you are interested in opening an account at Commonwealth bank in Perth I have contact details for you.

I suppose all I need is my Passport to open a bank account, and yes the contact details will be welcome.

Thanks

Werner and Renee

It's possible to open a bank account while you are still in South Africa, I know Westpac have such a facility.

Along the same lines:

Is it possible to open a bank account in Aus while you are in South Africa without/before going to Aus? Just curious really!

Yes, you can do it online, and they will send you the forms to sign by snail mail. You can then transfer money into the account. It has to be activated once you arrive in Aus by going to the branch with your passport and letter from the bank. :ilikeit: We did this with ANZ bank

Yes, you can do it online, and they will send you the forms to sign by snail mail. You can then transfer money into the account. It has to be activated once you arrive in Aus by going to the branch with your passport and letter from the bank. :ilikeit: We did this with ANZ bank

The only problem with opening a AUS bank account from South Africa is that you have to activate it in within 6 weeks time, I would like to open it when I go on my LSD trip and then hopefully it will be active.

You have to activate it within 6 weeks of your arrival in Australia to settle permanently. You can deposit money into the account while you are not yet settled, but cannot withdraw any. We opened our bank account approx 5 months before arriving in Aus. We deposited and transferred money into it from the UK and from South Africa. Once we arrived in Adelaide, we went to the bank with our passports and proof of (Australian) address and it was activated (meaning we could then withdraw the money and use our cheque books and cards) :ilikeit:

I'm going to open a bank account when I visit Aus. in March next year and would just like to know which banks are in Sydney / Melbourne (where I want to settle), and which bank(s) would you guys recommend and why?

Thanks

Charl