For single people emigrating

Springbok

Just in case anyone wonders about this... :ilikeit:

Once you get your permanent residence (PR) visa, you may not marry before making your 'initial entry' - you will be given a date by which you must make this entry into Australia to validate your visa - it is usually one year from the date of your medical or police clearance certificate (whichever is the earlier).

Your visa is valid for five years altogether. Should you marry in that time, before settling in Australia, then you can sponsor a "Spouse" permanent residence application for your husband/wife. These applications can be lodged in South Africa at the Australian High Commission - this would entail lodging an application form, sponsorship form from yourself together with evidence that you can support the sponsorship (income/employment/funds), evidence of a genuine relationship etc. Your husband/wife would be required to attend an interview at the Australian High Commission. You should lodge the application about 6 to 9 months before you intend to settle in Australia.

The fee for this type of application is currently R6,790.00 and your husband/wife would need to undergo health and character checks.

Keep in mind that Australian immigration policy and procedure in this respect may change.

Thanks - now that's interesting.... What if you have PR in Aus, living in Aus and wanting to marry a South African girl (no visa). Does she automatically get PR? Or do you still have to apply for a separate visa? Will you be allowed to get married in Aus, or do you have to get married in RSA...?

Thanks - now that's interesting.... What if you have PR in Aus, living in Aus and wanting to marry a South African girl (no visa). Does she automatically get PR? Or do you still have to apply for a separate visa? Will you be allowed to get married in Aus, or do you have to get married in RSA...?

Good question, Riekie, I'm not sure, maybe Etienne or Dolf can answer this one for us?

Maybe I will find myself in such a situation sometime during the next 5 years... :ilikeit:

Etienne or Dolf? :huh:

Thanks Larry!

Hi

Maybe I can be of little help with this. My daughter's fiance left S.A. with PR in

Nov 2005. He then sponsored my daughter and who made her application in

Jan this year. She applied for the SubClass 300 visa which is Fiance Visa and

had to submit proof of relationship, photos cards and Affidavit from friends and

family that knew of their relationship. She was granted her TR visa in July and

left to Melbourne in August. The condition of the above visa is that they have

to be married within 9 months of her being there. They got married in Oct 2006

and now she has to apply for spouse visa over there which cost $650.

REGARDS

MURLE