Medicals in Australia

Riekie

We went for our medicals in Aus (Sydney) for our PR application and I thought to share our experience:

You don't have to wait for instructions to go for your medicals - you can contact them (HSA) for an appointment even before you lodge your application. You can either phone them on 131 881 or book online @ www.healthoz.com.au (We immediately got an appointment - no waiting weeks for one...)

You must complete these forms: 160A (X-Rays) & 26A (Medical Examination).

You will need a passport photo for each form, but most centres take a digital photo and you won't need a passport photo (enquire when you make your booking).

The cost is $296 if you're over 18 (includes X-Ray, HIV Test & Medical Examination) or $216 if you're under 18 (no HIV test). If you have a tattoo, you need to have a Hepatitis B Test which is a further $20

It took 2 hours for the 3 of us to get everything done from the moment we walked in, to the moment we walked out: administration, photos, urine tests, eye tests, weight & height, HIV test & Medical Examination. They were very organised and efficient!

You don't get your results straight away - it gets mailed to you after 2 to 3 weeks (do not open the envelopes when you receive them as it will void all the tests and you will have to go again!!) If there was anything in your results which warrants further medical treatment or investigation, they will contact you, so if you do not hear form them and only receive your results, they did not "discover" something you were not aware of. (In WA, you can get your results handed to you, but ask for that when you make your appointment. Also, in WA you have to make 2 appointments: X-Ray & HIV tests & 3 working days later the Medical Exam - they don't do it all in one go).

What to take: Passports, Forms 160A & 26A completed, any chest X-rays you have (if you do), any doctor's reports relating to any existing illness/condition or relating to any serious illness/condition you've fully recovered from. If you don't have these letters, it will delay the process and you may wait longer for your results - you may even be referred for further testing/examination.

The examination itself involved blood pressure & pulse being taken, hart & lungs listened to, the usual breathe in, breathe out.... ears checked, white of eyes checked, tongue & throat checked, tummy pressed etc. and also any existing or previous conditions investigated. (I had knee surgery many moons ago and was asked to bend my knee & it was compared to the other knee for movement etc).

The doctor & other medical staff was very professional & friendly - I never felt interrogated or uncomfortable. You get to keep your clothes on - the only time we were asked to remove any clothing was our tops & jewelery for the chest X-ray and we were given a "jassie" to put on. :)

Nou's die vraag op die volk se lippe: "wie het die tattoo"..... :ilikeit:

Interesting post, thanks Riekie.

We went in Pretoria and the experience was very similar except a lot less expensive (R350 for medical, R220 for chest x-ray & R116.50 for blood). It took us 3 hours for 4 of us and everything was done at once. Also extremely well done & professional, we had no complaints or problems whatsoever. We paid an extra R350 for all the results to be sent together per courier to Sydney for processing (optional but necessary, really).

I thought I would mention that they also do the Hepatitis B test if you work in the medical field (such as a nurse, doctor, or paramedic) or if you work with children (such as a teacher).

Bronwyn