Aussie speaking Afrikaans

Johan Venter

This made me laughed when my daughter and her partner told me the story.

I have a daughter that stays in Kalgoorlie, WA with her Australian partner. They have been together for the last 2 years. He is very keen to learn Afrikaans. So in the last two years he learned quite a lot. He can even speak a few sentences, understand what you are saying and make a good dialogue. They went to the local KFC branch to get something to eat. They stood in the que to order and in front of them was a lady, a very big, overweight lady with big, big breasts. He turned to my daughter and said to her in Afrikaans, thinking that nobody will understand him. “Hierdie is n vet vrou met groot tiete†(This is a fat lady with big breasts) making a big joke about it. Very proud that he can say something that the other Australians can’t understand. That they have a secret language and that they can say any thing they like.

He was just finished with his sentence when this lady turned around and says, “Ek hoor jy kan Afrikaans praat†knowing by his accent that he is Australian. Very proud of himself and with his chest pushed out he says to her, “Ek kan praat Afrikaans†(I can speak Afrikaans). My daughter knew what was coming; she turned around and started walking out. Suddenly he realised what he just said, knowing that the lady understood every word. He turned red, dropped his head and duck out of the shop.

Getting outside they got into there car, drove off never to return. Since that day, he refused to speak Afrikaans in public, knowing that there might be somebody that knows what he is saying.

Laat dit n les wees vir jou!!!!

Hahaha!! Juis wat ek en C vanoggend in die ander journal wat ek gepost het genoem het...

Hoekom sal niemand jou ooit verstaan as jy iets mooi sê nie, maar as jy iets lelik sê is daar altyd 'n oor wat verstaan??? Iets met Murphy te doene??? :ilikeit:

Wys jou net!!! :ilikeit:

:ilikeit::whome::blink:

Let that be a word of caution to all of use. We "skinner" in public, and you just never know.....there are so many SAauzzies around :ilikeit:

:ilikeit::ilikeit::whome:

Poor guy, he must have been so embarrassed.

Remember that old advert where the guys are in Paris trying to buy a cheap painting?

Talk in Afrikaans ~ the artist is South Africa....

:ilikeit: poor guy!!!! I hope is doesn't stop him from speaking it's quite safe as long as he restrains himself!!

Years ago, you'd go from one year to the next without hearing a South African accent around . . . . much the same as not hearing someone with a French accent, for instance.

Nowadays, with so many white South Africans voting with their feet on the performance of the Rainbow gov't and rocking up on Australia's shores, you hear it a little bit nowadays.

I was walking thro the shopping centre where my elder daughter works and noticed a coffee bar called "Mooi" . . . . not your regular Aussie word in use!

True to form, someone who is Afrikaans was involved with starting it up. . . the owner's wife.

Mischien, een dag Afrikaans sal die tweede taal van Australie wees.

my seun het eendag die "ander" afrikaanse woord vir weerligstraal in 'n tennistoernooi hier gebruik, sê iemand langs die baan vir hom "hey, ek weet wat jy sê!" Hy't nie 'n woord verder geswets nie!

Heaven forbid.................I think Greek/Italian/Chines and Indonesia are way ahead of Afrikaans in the numbers stake

The next stage of the planned take over is to get it on the school corriculum!! :ilikeit:

Nowadays, with so many white South Africans voting with their feet on the performance of the Rainbow gov't and rocking up on Australia's shores, you hear it a little bit nowadays.

Bob, its not just white people who are leaving South Africa!

At our church on Sunday (Anglican) there were two adults and four children being confirmed and ALL of them came from SA!

This made me laughed when my daughter and her partner told me the story.

I have a daughter that stays in Kalgoorlie, WA with her Australian partner. They have been together for the last 2 years. He is very keen to learn Afrikaans. So in the last two years he learned quite a lot. He can even speak a few sentences, understand what you are saying and make a good dialogue. They went to the local KFC branch to get something to eat. They stood in the que to order and in front of them was a lady, a very big, overweight lady with big, big breasts. He turned to my daughter and said to her in Afrikaans, thinking that nobody will understand him. “Hierdie is n vet vrou met groot tiete†(This is a fat lady with big breasts) making a big joke about it. Very proud that he can say something that the other Australians can’t understand. That they have a secret language and that they can say any thing they like.

He was just finished with his sentence when this lady turned around and says, “Ek hoor jy kan Afrikaans praat†knowing by his accent that he is Australian. Very proud of himself and with his chest pushed out he says to her, “Ek kan praat Afrikaans†(I can speak Afrikaans). My daughter knew what was coming; she turned around and started walking out. Suddenly he realised what he just said, knowing that the lady understood every word. He turned red, dropped his head and duck out of the shop.

Getting outside they got into there car, drove off never to return. Since that day, he refused to speak Afrikaans in public, knowing that there might be somebody that knows what he is saying.

Laat dit n les wees vir jou!!!!

Now this is so funny,,shame, I feel sorry for the fat lady with the big boobs. The days that Afrikaans is our little secret language overseas, is gone forever. Since we moved to Switzerland from the US (lived there for 17 years) my teenage son decided we should only speak Afrikaans in the public here in Switzerland, because he thinks everyone hates the Americans, and we should not let anyone know we are "Americans". Well, I do not agree with him on that, but thought it an excellent idea, now finally he can practice his Afrikaans. In six months he improved a lot,,he has a terrible accent, but I understand him very well. But now the embarrassing part. Two months ago we travelled to Italy, and somewhere in the south in a small little town stopped for a coffee. They also had a little store where they sell all kinds of stuff, and here my son started to really give me a hard time with unneccesary things he wanted to buy. Well, off course he was going on and on in his broken Afrikaans,,and me really getting a little annoyed, but who cares, nobody understands us, right? The next moment behind me,,"hallo,,is julle hier op vakansie??" O my goodness, my son turned red and before I could answer the two young people standing next to us, my son was gone, nowhere to be seen. Anyway,,it came to be that the family emigrated from SA and lives in Germany. The lesson learned: Behave, and listen to your mother,,no matter where you are, Afrikaans is everywhere today. :ilikeit:

We have heeded the warning! We will be careful around the use of our secret language on arrival. Seems it is not so secret anymore! Oh dear!

This story reminds me of the time my ex boss went to Canada for a holiday, his brother lives there. Vancouver or Toronto can't remember which. Anyways, as the walk down the street he notices this filthy dude, torn clothes the works pushing a trolley like they do here. He turns to his bro and says "bliksem ek het nie geweet julle het bergies in kanada nie".

Just then the oke turns around "jy, jou ma se :thumbdown: man.

Ja nee, ons moet maar oppas, die boere vat oor jong.

Z