NSW school fee exemption forms

Goldie

Please if one of the moderators can put this where it can easily be found (I think you call it a sticky, but not sure). It's the info required to apply for an exemption for the NSW temporary residents school fees. Have had lots of requests for the forms and also lots of people who still don't know they can apply.

We got our exemption granted after 2 working days.

Thanks Candice

Exemption_Information___Application_Form_1_.pdf

Please if one of the moderators can put this where it can easily be found (I think you call it a sticky, but not sure). It's the info required to apply for an exemption for the NSW temporary residents school fees. Have had lots of requests for the forms and also lots of people who still don't know they can apply.

Thanks Candice

Excellent, thank you.

Thanks Candice - you are a life saver. Was wonder how to go about this application.

Can you tell me how many kids you have - I have 1 going to grade 6 and 1 of 3yrs - we would like to apply for exemption for my eldest. Not too sure what your circumstances have to be - We are not getting to bad a salary BUT going over with very little and the fee will knock us quite badly.

Thanks Candice - you are a life saver. Was wonder how to go about this application.

Can you tell me how many kids you have - I have 1 going to grade 6 and 1 of 3yrs - we would like to apply for exemption for my eldest. Not too sure what your circumstances have to be - We are not getting to bad a salary BUT going over with very little and the fee will knock us quite badly.

Hi there.

We have two kids, one 9yr, and one 6yr old. Also not sure what the criteria is for exemption. We will be a one income family though on arrival so not sure if that has an influence or not ?.

You guys going to Sydney ?.

R's.

Mike & Nicole

We have 3 kids, 2 of which are school going. We only had the one income when we applied (I now have casual work). We sent through copies of our rental agreement showing our weekly rent, my husband's letter of appointment showing his salary and we also gave them a bank statement showing what we had in the bank explaining that this was for us to set up home and buy a car and a mini budget of what our weekly expenses were with groceries, electricity etc.

Have a friend in Sydney who got the exemption in the last month or so too. She has 2 kids, only one of which is school going.

If they decide that you earn too much to warrent the exemption, they will allow you to pay it off in 4 installments instead of the lump sum.

Good luck guys.

Candice

Thanks again Candice. Looks like its worth a shot then to apply once we get there.

Hi Mike and Nicole. We are going to Sydney - yes. Hoping to be in the Hills district. My husband will prob be going over in Early Jan and myself and the kids end Feb.

We will be a one income fam too - will do as Candice suggested and go armed with everything when I apply for the exemption.

Phew, best of luck to those applying for school fees exemption...

We are a one income family, 2 kids - one in high & one in primary. We applied and were turned down :ilikeit: , appealed with a l-o-n-g letter detailing all expenses, set-up costs, deposits paid on housing, private health care to be paid, etc. Turned down again :ilikeit: .

That $9000 a year is killing us...and on top of that you still have to pay the usual subject fees, school outings, etc. Eish!

zorba

we also have two going to school next year in sydney, aged 9 and 10 - this enrolment fee is a real blow !! cant understand WHY it only applies to NSW and Canberra ? :ilikeit:

Its interesting to see whose exemption was granted / or turned down ? do they base it on salary ?

Zorba I'm sorry to hear that. I know that we would be in #$#@ street if we had had to pay. Hopefully you can get your PR soon and it will all be for free. Did they at least give you the option to pay it off per term?

Just for the record, my husband and the friend in Sydney's husband earn the min $43k allowed for a 457, so this is possibly the reason why we were both granted the exemptions.

All I can say is that it's worth a try anyway. To those still coming to NSW, give it a bash and send them your best argument for an exemption. I really think this stupid rule should be done away with and that school should be free like in the other states for temp visa holders. I know for us it was a big issue and we nearly didn't sign the job offer because of it. At the end of the day, if you don't send your kids to school (not that we wouldn't), the education dept will be on your case.

Maybe someone needs to get a petition drawn up of NSW 457 holders to send to the department???? Fortunately our exemption was granted until the 2010 school year and we hopefully should have our 175 by mid to late next year.

Candice

Zorba I'm sorry to hear that. I know that we would be in #$#@ street if we had had to pay. Hopefully you can get your PR soon and it will all be for free. Did they at least give you the option to pay it off per term?

Just for the record, my husband and the friend in Sydney's husband earn the min $43k allowed for a 457, so this is possibly the reason why we were both granted the exemptions.

All I can say is that it's worth a try anyway. To those still coming to NSW, give it a bash and send them your best argument for an exemption. I really think this stupid rule should be done away with and that school should be free like in the other states for temp visa holders. I know for us it was a big issue and we nearly didn't sign the job offer because of it. At the end of the day, if you don't send your kids to school (not that we wouldn't), the education dept will be on your case.

Maybe someone needs to get a petition drawn up of NSW 457 holders to send to the department???? Fortunately our exemption was granted until the 2010 school year and we hopefully should have our 175 by mid to late next year.

Candice

Hi all.

What I'd like to know, is what does that money, all 9k of it, go towards ?. Hopefully our PR visa will be granted mid 2009 so the fees will fall away. Maybe these fees are there as a deterant, because I'm sure a lot of people who'd like to live in NSW decide not to purely because of the astronomical school fee. Well, we're still going, and we'll give it our best shot. No one said it would be easy hey.......

Regards.

Mike.

Hi all.

What I'd like to know, is what does that money, all 9k of it, go towards ?. Hopefully our PR visa will be granted mid 2009 so the fees will fall away. Maybe these fees are there as a deterant, because I'm sure a lot of people who'd like to live in NSW decide not to purely because of the astronomical school fee. Well, we're still going, and we'll give it our best shot. No one said it would be easy hey.......

Regards.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

The money doesn't go to the school, not sure where it goes?!

zorba

what_do_the_fees_cover.pdf

See page 2 of this document. It sort of explains it. You have to remember too, that not all temp visa holders are English speaking. I know that my one daughter has a girl in her class who is from Burma and couldn't speak a word of English when she arrived. She had to have extra tuition, which I'm led to believe was catered by the school. I suppose they put the fees in place to cover instances like this for "foreign students".

Maybe when you do your application emphasize that the child would not require any extra tutors or special needs classes????? Just a thought.

Candice

What Zorba says is true. The money definitely doesn't go directly to the school. The principals at both the schools that our girls have been to, had no idea that such fees even existed! Goes to the NSW Education Dept and each time you change schools, you have to get an authortiy to enrol from the department before the school can enrol the child.

Candice

what_do_the_fees_cover.pdf

See page 2 of this document. It sort of explains it. You have to remember too, that not all temp visa holders are English speaking. I know that my one daughter has a girl in her class who is from Burma and couldn't speak a word of English when she arrived. She had to have extra tuition, which I'm led to believe was catered by the school. I suppose they put the fees in place to cover instances like this for "foreign students".

Maybe when you do your application emphasize that the child would not require any extra tutors or special needs classes????? Just a thought.

Candice

So we had to pay for IELTS, and then also pay for extra English classes for those who couldn't pass IELTS? EISH!

I know I sound really negative about this whole issue, but it really irks me that we have to go without so that our kids can have the same education as everyone else. We pay the same taxes after all.

And yes, I knew this would be a probability on a 457 visa, but that doesn't make me feel any better about it.

And that's my gripe for the day!

zorba

Zorba - i totall agree with you !!!!

I have two questions that are worrying me

1), with the whole zoning thing, if we decide to move area, the kids will have to change schools, is this fee a "once Off" we wont have to pay it again when enroling in a new school ??

2) My son will be going into year 6 next year, will have one year then will need to change to "high school" will we have to pay it again when we enrol at a different school ?

hope someone can put my mind at ease !! :)

Hi Almost in Aussie

The fee is payable every school year while on the temp visa, if you don't get the exemption. Ours was granted till 2010, but our 457 visa expires in 2012. So if we don't have PR by 2010, we'll have to reapply else pay up.

With the zoning thing, the first school our girls went to wasn't in our zone. As long as the school has space for you, that's fine. If you move schools you don't have to repay the fee. As long as the school is in NSW, your fee/exemption covers you at any public school and you won't have to pay again, until the next school year.

Zorba, gripe away. I agree with you completely. Appeal again!!???? Bug the #$@#$ out of them till they give you the exemption to get you off their backs??

Candice

Candice thanks for the info !! will give it a go - can only be turned down , and yes Zorba = try again !!! its a new year coming up, maybe they will be generous ?? :censored:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Candice

Thanks Candice

Was there any specific approach you used to complete the section "explanation of circumstances". How much detail did you give (ie: expenses vs income etc)?

Thanks

Neil :) 'Merry Christmas"

Hi guys

Remember you can always try the independant schools. You don't pay the $4500 and the fees are generally around $2700 a year which you can pay monthly or by term. We also get a 20% discount for having 2 children at the school. The standard of education is brilliant and it doesn't matter what visa you hold etc everyone pays the same.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

For those of you that did apply for exemption but didn't get it, were you given any reasons why you didn't get it.

Regards

Burger

Hi Burger

They assess your salary expenses etc and then accept or decline they might though if you don't get the exemption allow you to pay the $4500 monthly. Good Luck. Where do you plan on settling?

Hi Burger

They assess your salary expenses etc and then accept or decline they might though if you don't get the exemption allow you to pay the $4500 monthly. Good Luck. Where do you plan on settling?

Hi,

Our application was declined. We appealed - declined again. No reason given. We get invoiced per term for each child, $1125. We were not offered a monthly payment option.

We did consider going private or independant, but once you obtain PR you will still be stuck with those fees (or have to move the kids, not ideal). And we LOVE the government school in our area!

zorba

Hi sa2auz

We plan to settle more or les in the areas of Glenwood, Rouse Hill, Castle Hill, Beaumont Hill, Kellyville. In other words, North West Sydney above the M7

We have looked at schools and found that we would be happy with any of the schools mentioned in the above areas. We now only need to find a rentable house in one of the mentioned areas.

Burger

• 2 weeks later...

To All

I see that on the "Application for Exemption" form there is a section referring tot the "Temporary Residents Program Application" for which one seemingly have to pay $110 AUD per child.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Did anyone of you that applied for the Exemption of School fees of $4500 pay this $110 per child.

Regards

Burger

Hi Burger

Yes, the $110 is the application fee for the authority to enrol/exemption (if I remember correctly). The money order for this was sent off with the application. Had to pay this per child.

Sorry, Neil. I only saw this post now. I gave them our weekly budget. Gave copies of my husband's letter of appointment, our lease agreement (to show rent), a bank statement to show what we had left in the bank (at that stage there was around $19 000 left and I told them this was allocated to buy furniture etc as we had sold mostly everything to come over). Gave them a rough indication of our groceries, medical, telephone, electricity bills. Just basically told them that we couldn't afford to pay $9000 for the 2 girls and that if we did, we'd have no money left to buy furniture and to set up home properly. The weekly budget showed that there was no room for any savings.

We also have a 3rd non school going child, so not sure if they also take the number of children you have into consideration, but I'm sure it helped.

Candice