A Melbourne Fly

polly

Are the flies in Aus as bad as I have heard, lots of people mention that there are really lots and that they are a nuisance.

We haven't really had very many flies so far. On hot days there is usually one that manages to sneak into the house when I open the sliding doors top hang out washing. (We are in Melbourne)

I have to say though, these things are tough. You really have to whack them hard with the fly swatter. The aren't as skittish as the one's in SA, so much easier to get :unsure:

To be honest, I have seen more of these than I have flies :)

2008_1118Melbourne0012-1.jpg

There are currently a lot of these little white butterflies around. Also tons of bees, but I am not quite good enough to capture those on film ;)

The first time I came to Aus in 1993 the flies were a horror! I couldn't get my head around them and they nearly drove me stark raving mad. A friend of mine who was living here then had a T-shirt which read "Australia is the greatest country on earth - 60 million flies can't be wrong"!!!

The "yuckiest" thing about the flies here is that they are "lazy flies" they don't buzz off when you wave your hand at them, instead you almost scrape them off your skin with your fingers - eeeeeek.

In the 80's the Aussies started importing dung beetles to address the problem - as they clear up the dung the fly's breeding ground is removed - and in the last twenty years the dung beetle population has grown to the point that it is now responsible for reducing the fly population considerably. I have never again seen flies in the quantity that I saw them on my first visit - probably one of the reasons why I decided to come and live here!

We also have horse flies here, which inflict very painful bites. If you go to the beach on Rottnest or Garden Island you may encounter a hoard of them which can make the event somewhat unpleasant!

The first time I came to Aus in 1993 the flies were a horror! I couldn't get my head around them and they nearly drove me stark raving mad. A friend of mine who was living here then had a T-shirt which read "Australia is the greatest country on earth - 60 million flies can't be wrong"!!!

The "yuckiest" thing about the flies here is that they are "lazy flies" they don't buzz off when you wave your hand at them, instead you almost scrape them off your skin with your fingers - eeeeeek.

In the 80's the Aussies started importing dung beetles to address the problem - as they clear up the dung the fly's breeding ground is removed - and in the last twenty years the dung beetle population has grown to the point that it is now responsible for reducing the fly population considerably. I have never again seen flies in the quantity that I saw them on my first visit - probably one of the reasons why I decided to come and live here!

We also have horse flies here, which inflict very painful bites. If you go to the beach on Rottnest or Garden Island you may encounter a hoard of them which can make the event somewhat unpleasant!

Thats interesting. I had also read somewhere about the dung beetle program. I didn't realise that it started in the 80's though. I hate flies they are my absolute worst irritation, I would much rather have the spiders. They are a nuisance, but with most things you learn to adapt. So you make sures the fly screens are always closed and that food is not left on counters etc. Anyhow I would much rather live in a country where the flies are more of a nuisance then the crime.

Candice

Fuji Finepix S5700

Still learning. Struggling to make it through the manual, but loving the macro function :lol: Also like the multiple shots option. I sometimes manage to catch one of my kids in the frame :lol: I have taken to walking everywhere with the camera over my shoulder. Look like a real tourist :lol:

It is better than we ever would have dreamed. My husband LOVES his job. They often give him wonderful feedback and he has immense opportunities. He also gets to catch up on reading on the tram. We have freedom here. I can actually spend time walking and taking pictures (don't ask how many pics I have of flowers, gardens and insects :lol:) The people are so friendly and helpful. I had a 15 minute conversation with a lady this morning. We were waiting to cross the road and just started chatting. The last time I felt so alive was playing in the finals in a tournament. It feels like there are so many possibilities and opportunities. I just need to get into gear and push myself a little, hold my breath and just GO!

It is better than we ever would have dreamed. My husband LOVES his job. They often give him wonderful feedback and he has immense opportunities. He also gets to catch up on reading on the tram. We have freedom here. I can actually spend time walking and taking pictures (don't ask how many pics I have of flowers, gardens and insects <_<) The people are so friendly and helpful. I had a 15 minute conversation with a lady this morning. We were waiting to cross the road and just started chatting. The last time I felt so alive was playing in the finals in a tournament. It feels like there are so many possibilities and opportunities. I just need to get into gear and push myself a little, hold my breath and just GO!

Your description of Mellies is exactly the way I remember it...

I love the friendly nature of the people... that one can strike up a conversation with anybody...

Enjoy it, make us jealous... that's ok...

When we get to Mellies... I will get a bigger camera... and take bigger photos... and talk to three people at the same time..

Regards..

Joefromsa

Your description of Mellies is exactly the way I remember it...

I love the friendly nature of the people... that one can strike up a conversation with anybody...

Enjoy it, make us jealous... that's ok...

When we get to Mellies... I will get a bigger camera... and take bigger photos... and talk to three people at the same time..

Regards..

Joefromsa

:unsure: Joe!! no more keeping up with the Jones's remember?!! you could have the best camera in the world and still take crappy pictures!! I think Polly has an eye for a good pic, sometimes I think she must have blinked while taking the shot but hey!! <_< If only hubbie would slow the car snap his head back so he gets out of the shot on the drivers side

window....... :blush:

Seriously Polly that butterfly pic was very proffesional!!!! well done!!!

Hubby says :lol::D :D Poor man, I drive him to distraction. I made him drive down China town, then we accidently ended up on Swanston Street. Cars are NOT allowed on Swanston :lol: I keep quiet now when he's driving :P

Thanks for the compliments. Every now and then I get a nice one :ph34r: