LSD Trip in November

kiffoke

Hi all

As my first post on the site, I wanted to let you guys know that I'm coming for an LSD trip in November. I'm going to see Sydney and Melbourne and staying with friends in each city, also hoping to see some recruitment agents at the same time to get a sense of the job market. (If anyone can recommend an IT recruitment company in either of these two cities, I would be very grateful - I'm a software development project manager)

Another thing that I would like to investigate is a SIM card for my phone. Does anyone know if the networks in Australia provide a pay as you go service? Can I get a SIM card in South Africa from an Australian website?

What other recommendations can you make about things to check out on my LSD trip?

Thanks for the assistance :ilikeit:

Kiffoke

Another thing that I would like to investigate is a SIM card for my phone. Does anyone know if the networks in Australia provide a pay as you go service? Can I get a SIM card in South Africa from an Australian website?

Kiffoke

Hi there

you can buy a pay as you go sim on the airport in OZ. There are a few networks to choose from. I personally am on vodafone pay as you go but not sure how it compares to other networks but I'm very happy with them. Just make sure that your phone is not network blocked cause then no other sim will work in your phone. Have no idea if you can get a pay as you go on the net, sorry.

Lindy-Lee

:ilikeit:

Hi Koffoke,

If you send me a PM, I'll try and give you some information regarding IT job opportunities - I work in the software development industry as well.

Cheers

Ajay

There are three main mobile networks in Australia . . . Telstra (Telecom Australia), Optus (owned by Singapore Telecom) and Vodafone (partnered to Vodacom in Sth Africa).

There are a myriad of minor players in the mobile network but they all "piggy-back" off one of these three main networks.

I invariably advise people in Australian cities to hook up with Vodafone if coming from Sth Africa, the reason being that they are cheapest, by far, offer good deals and you can phone international to Sth Africa (thro' their partnership with Vodacom)at the same cheap rate as the U.K., Canada, USA and NZ . . . namely Aust $3 for 10 mins, which is only A30cents per min! . . . .

If you can find a better deal to ring a home phone (land line) or mobile in Australia 24/7, or phone Sth Africa or the UK on mobile and do great SMS text deals, do let me know!

You can get a Vodafone (or Telstra or Optus) SIM card at any Woolworths supermarket or Post Office in Australia and get 10% off the recharges if buying thro Woolies in the future.

My best advice is to go for the $49 Maxi Cap (for $44.10c at Woolies supermarkets) after buying a $2 SIM card (this has no credit attached) and you get $230 worth of calls anywhere in Australia (at the standard rate of 1c per second + 20 c call connection ("flagfall")), Texts (even to Sth Africa for the standard 25c rate!) and 20 mins worth of international calls (to UK or Sth Africa for up to $6) if you intend to make a number of calls within Australia.

The SIM card number is valid in your name for a further 6 months after your last call or recharge.

You'll need ID to get an Australian network's SIM card . . . passport, driving licence and credit card should be sufficient ID to take along.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bob

HI,

I agree with Bob, Vodafone is the cheapest, and the best by far. You can get one as soon as you walk off the plane, right there at the airport. The $49 maxicap is great value for money.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help. Any advice on things to check out on the LSD trip that you found useful. I'm doing all the standard stuff (Job, suburbs, cities, cost of living etc) but would always like other suggestions.

thanks

kiffoke