Crumbly pap

AndreaL

Hi all

Tonight my hubby is getting a treat- pap en wors - with a delicious spicy tomato sauce, only thing is this rooinek is useless at making pap or at least the crumbly kind hubby likes.

I can do the stiff kind-hell it's stiff enough to use as cement-just not the crumbly kind, I need your help.

Now I know my good Albany buddy Glenda uses the remote cooking method i.e she throws it in the pot with butter and water and goes and watches TV, comes back and it is ready, I alas am not so lucky and only have a small amount of mealie meal left so have to get it right first time.

Your guidance and wisdom would ensure a pleasant meal and a happy husband!

AndreaL

Hi AndreaL,

I do mine in the microwave.

3 cups mielie meal (I use half coarse m/meal and half fine m/meal)

1 cup cold water

dollop of oil

Mix together.

Add 5 cups boiling water from the kettle.

Stir.

Add any flavouring/seasoning. I sometimes use a bit of chillibeef soup, or stock cubes, or if you are lucky enough to have a pap seasoning sachet that's even better. You can use a cup-a-soup sachet or just add salt only. Personal preference.

Cover & microwave for 14 mins, stirring occasionally.

Add 2 tablespoons marg/butter and stir.

Cover and microwave for another 9 mins.

Serve & Enjoy! YUMMY!!

zorba

:)

Edited by zorba

hi

I use the recipe from the side of the coarse braai pap packet.

4-6 servings

500ml water

5ml salt

750 ml braai pap

Bring water and salt to the boil in a medium heavy-based saucepan (I use my cast iron pot)

add pap

cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes

stir with fork until itbecomes crumbly

simmer for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally

Sometimes if it looks to dry I add some more water ater simmering for 15 minutes

hi

i live in adelaide - does anybody know where i can buy mielie meel to make pap?

yum x

I always just make sure the pap is much more than the water - my standard recipe is:

3 cups water & teaspoon salt - bring to boil

Add 4.5 cups pap and mix well (with the back of a wooden spoon - always works the best) untill crumbly. You can add another half a cup of pap if you want it more crumbly.

I turn down the heat to simmer for about 35 minutes and mix every 10 minutes. (just watch it in the first 5 min as the stove will still be hot and it might burn if not cooled down)

Enjoy!

Yo

Thanks everyone

It seems everyone has a different method though!

Will let you know if I succeed.

Odette you can try this link South African food

I think they might be in Adelaide too or try SATOOZ or Springbok Foods

AndreaL

Hi AndreaL'

So how was the dinner? Hope your hubby was delighted with your efforts!

zorba

:)

Hi Zorba

Apparently I am now the Queen of pap and it is the best he has ever tasted!

I went the whole hog and did bbq ribs, steak and wors ( I just wish we could get a nicer wors, it is the Springbok foods one) feta salad,and he had seconds, the rest is in his lunch box for crib underground.

I of course had my Frys vegetarian burger and sausage from RSA-yummy with pap and sauce.

I looked at all the recipes and worked out that the important elements were roughly two thirds the amount of water to pap, stirring with a wooden spoon and then simmering down really low with a tight fitting lid, stirring every 10 minutes.

So thank you all- now if anyone knows where I can get skins in Mackay, Queensland I could make my own wors?

Thanks-AndreaL