Container to Oz

jlo

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions on taking a container:

1. Which company would you suggest to use

2. How many quotes?

3. How soon should you start getting qoutes?

4. How long in advance do you have to notify them of collection date?

5. How long will it take for the container to arrive in QLD, Brisbane?We are not sure if we should rent a furnished apartment..preferebly not..2 teenagers..

I'm sure there will be even more questions after you have answered me, but I have to start som e where..

Thanx for all the effective comments on the forum..

PS: It's 32 in Pretoria today, still no rain

Hi J,

I'll try and answer some of your questions:

1. We used Pickfords, but had a few problems with them. Some things weren't properly packed, and we received wrong information - made me leave half my stuff behind! I've heard that Magna & Crown is good, but their quotes were a bit high for me. Try Elliot as well.

2. Get about 3 quotes, at least.

3. ASAP - just make sure that your quote is not outdated by the time you want to accept it.

4. We gave them 5 days notice.

5. Anything from 8 weeks to 3 months, especially if you move over the Christmas holidays. It just sits there until everyone comes back from holiday. At least they give you a tracking number, and you can track the ship that it's on.

Hope that helps you

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi J

We are also still this side of Aus but maybe this advice will help........

Magna removals do seminars in all the big cities and you can just book and go to get a good idea of what the whole move entails. Up to now, I haven't found any negative postings on this website regarding this company and we got a quote to relocate our 3 bedroomed home at around R50 000 this time last year. They seem extremely professional and we are hoping to use them when we emigrate to Melbourne at the end of next year. Obviously the quote has an expiry date but i needed to upgrade my teaching qualification so I have done a module through Unisa which has taken another year.

All the best!!

Hi Jlo

We are noving on 27 Nov with Magna. Call Wayne Botha on (011) 824-0720 & ask him when their next free seminar is. We went to the Protea Hotel in Midrand, had a coffee and a chat with over 100 other Aus wannabees like ourselves, this time last year. :unsure: Wayne came out to quote us twice this year already for free, he was v. good. Having said that we haven't actually moved yet, but I hope they will be ok. The quote was R38k for a 20-foot container. They cram it very full, as it's the size of a single garage. The seminar is good because they go into the rules & regs. about untreated wood products, wine, food etc. All your questions will be answered. You can basically fit in the contents of a 3 bed house if you are carefull and throw away all your junk. :)

The quote is also subject to exchange rate fluctualtions and the day you move they use the published rate, but R38 is a good indication.

Good luck & enjoy.

Bronwyn

PS. Yes - we need some rain in PTA for sure!

Hi, Jlo

On the 9th Elliott's packed our stuff, we got 3 quotes, all was within the same range. We took the 40, the only thing that got me a bit ,was the insurance. They wanted me to ensure the container for R600 000 = about R20 000 for insurance. The Elliot packing team was realy good, and friendly. Elliott's gave me a ETA of 22 Nov 2006. We have plenty of wood, so I will see!!!! . I did not go for the 600 000 (much less)

Thank you so much!

I was under the impression that insurance is included in this amount.

I plan on attendeing one of the seminars

We scrapped the insurance idea after closely questioning the rep. Wayne at Magna.

If they break one of our lamps for example, I will just buy a new one out of 2% of what I would have spent on insurance.

I gather that the only real risk is that the ship will sink, and Magna tells me that has never happened to them before.

We'll take our chances and 'self-insure' as it makes a big difference to the price. :)

Bronwyn

Edited by B H