2009 school year start

The Ferreiras

Hi there,

When does the school year begin? My son will have to attend school here for about a month before we make the move over (457 still being processed but those are the dates we are roughly looking at - could be sooner).

How long does it take to get your child registered and into a school there? We are going to be looking in the Hills area (Sydney) for rentals but would prefer to have a school in mind and then search in that area.

Any advise would be appreciated

So much to do................

:thumbdown:

Where we are going, Toowoomba, Queensland, the schools start on the 27th January 2009, apparently the staff are there from the 22nd. And is seems until you have an address you can't apply, and zoning applies to some schools and/or areas. Not sure if it's the same in Sydney.

We were so hoping to be in Australia for the start of the new school year but looking like we'll be in the same boat as you. Uniforms! Stationary! For a month or so.... Grrrr!!

Edited by Eva

Hi Eva,

I was saying to my hubby last night if its WORTH sending him to school at all.....but then we dont even have flight dates yet....

He is currently in private school and at the beginning of the year its PTA fees, Computer fees etc for the year that need to be paid. I have managed to avoid paying the exorbitant stationary and book fees so far but know they are giving me the beady eye. I am a wreck! We simply cannot afford to pay everything only to leave 4 - 6 weeks later. My husband says I am jumping the gun as we dont even have the visas approved but I would rather be prepared for the worst (best - actually) situation and have a plan in place.

I think I should have a stiff drink and wait till I have all the info - as darling husband suggests - but I am just so darn pleased to be leaving to go back to Oz I could bust a gut!!!!

:blink:

Hi there,

When does the school year begin? My son will have to attend school here for about a month before we make the move over (457 still being processed but those are the dates we are roughly looking at - could be sooner).

How long does it take to get your child registered and into a school there? We are going to be looking in the Hills area (Sydney) for rentals but would prefer to have a school in mind and then search in that area.

Any advise would be appreciated

So much to do................

Sydney school dates for 2009 start 27th Jan 2009

Hi Eva,

I was saying to my hubby last night if its WORTH sending him to school at all.....but then we dont even have flight dates yet....

He is currently in private school and at the beginning of the year its PTA fees, Computer fees etc for the year that need to be paid. I have managed to avoid paying the exorbitant stationary and book fees so far but know they are giving me the beady eye. I am a wreck! We simply cannot afford to pay everything only to leave 4 - 6 weeks later. My husband says I am jumping the gun as we dont even have the visas approved but I would rather be prepared for the worst (best - actually) situation and have a plan in place.

I think I should have a stiff drink and wait till I have all the info - as darling husband suggests - but I am just so darn pleased to be leaving to go back to Oz I could bust a gut!!!!

Oh well, at least we can commiserate with each other. Must be lots more people in the same boat we are in! It is the uncertainty that drives me mad... if I knew we could only go in June then at least we could plan our lives accordingly. I am going through a very frustrated phase!! That stiff drink is starting to sound like a good idea - every morning after I check the e-mails and there is nothing would be a good time to start!

Good luck

Eva

Hi Ferreiras

We are in the same boat. I've also avoided buying stationary and books for the new school year as we don't know either when we will be going. I know the feeling about the beady eye.

The school normally gets everyone to buy the stationary and books through them then they get a kickback from Waltons.

Now the teachers are telling my daughter that she's not supporting the school. :rolleyes:

I just don't see any point in wasting all that money if it's only for a few weeks.

Also aiming for end of January.

Any idea when the schools in Tasmania starts?

hi we are also heading to Sydney - also looking in the Hills area - cant apply to schools until we have a fixed address, cant get a fixed address coz its too soon - aargh frustrating ! would just like to be able to tell the boys the name of their school etc etc - but sure all will fall into place !!! i think they also start round about 29th January in Sydney !

Registration is quick - you can have them in school within a day, once you have a rental agreement as proof of address. I live in the Hills District of Sydney. How old are your kids ? Are you looking at public schools ?

Edited by Citizen X

Thanks for all the replies! Makes me feel somewhat better to know that I am not rowing this boat up the river by myself. :thumbdown:

My boys are 11 and 3. Eldest needs to go into grade 6 and I will be a stay at home mom with my youngest until we can figure something out - the costs of childcare are :o to say the least.

All these posts yesterday must have played with my mind - I dreamt strange dreams about going under cover into my sons school to pick him up and avoiding the headmaster and his side kick, both were waving papers at me so I did a runner with child in tow yelling "you cant make me pay!!!!!!!!"...... LOL!

Oh my word. Im not sure if the fact that I will have to stay at home with the youngest has sunk in yet...I have always worked and the prospect of NOT is so daunting, especially in a situation where I have no friends or family to fall back on. Some days I think we are crazy to do this...and then I switch the TV on, see the news, read the papers and just KNOW that even if I have to live in a bachelor pad aboce a fish and chip shop on the beginning then thats what I will do to get my kids away from all of this STUFF that is happening over here.

As I said - thanks for the feedback!! It really does make me feel that I am not nuts and others are feeling the same as me. Just wish it was over and done with but we will get there. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Schools open on 27th Jan in Sydney, as posted above. If you are on a PR visa your child will be enrolled immediately, providing you come with all the necessary documentation. Teachers and office staff are usually there a few days before the kids start, but check timing with the individual schools. Don't forget 26th Jan is a public holiday.

457 visa holders fill out the same forms, same documents needed, but you have to get authority to enrol from the DET which takes a couple of days (up to a week). If you are applying for a fee exemption your application may even take a little longer, depending on when the Exemptions Board sits again. Not so bad, as this gives you time to buy uniforms (some schools have uniform shops, others have specific suppliers elsewhere).

As long as you fall within the zone, a school will not reject your application. We brought report cards and references from the school, but they weren't interested in them for enrolment - worth passing on to the teacher later so they can see what your child is capable of or if they need any assistance in specific learning areas.

Docs needed are - copy of lease, copies of passports whole family, copies of visas whole family. Some schools even ask for proof of utilities connection because people rent and then sublet just to get an address in the school's zone.

BTW don't worry about certifying your passport copies - the Principal will do it for you when they sign off on your DET application form.

zorba

Hi there

In our little area we have 3 public schools. The schools have to take you if you are in their zone regardless of whether they are full or not. The first week of school they see how many kids they have for each year and then designate the teachers and classes. The one school in our area is full, one does hebrew and will take children studing that language and the 3rd is smaller and will take children out of their zone.

If you are on a 457 I would suggest you look at Independant schools as you wont pay the $4500 upfront that you pay the NSW education dept before you enrol. At a independant school all children pay the same regardless of visa class and you don't have to be in a particular zone. The independant schools are about 2500 pa per child and most will offer a 20% discount for siblings.

Preschool or daycare is not usually zoned but you might have to put your name down in advance, also depending on the area.

If you want some names of schools on the upper northshore pm me and I will try and help.

Good Luck