PC less than 3months old classed as new or used??

Mauritzvw

Hi guys!

Just want to know if my pc is practically new, would I have to pay some kind of import duty?

I want to upgrade now but will rather wait till I am over if I am going to be charged extra

Thanx M

Less than 12 months and you pay tax on it, from what I can gather....

Even on 457?

Plus your warranty is null and void...

Costs the same in Aus as it would in SA. We decided to hold off and bought here.

Was worth it. Got a really nice pc for a a good price, plus we had it shortly after landing, so at least we had some way to entertain ourselves until the container came.

Plus your warranty is null and void...

Costs the same in Aus as it would in SA. We decided to hold off and bought here.

Was worth it. Got a really nice pc for a a good price, plus we had it shortly after landing, so at least we had some way to entertain ourselves until the container came.

That is true and makes a lot of sense. I have compared the prices and the OZ compares favourable

BUT... I'm itching for a new one because this one and FC2 are not friends :ilikeit::rolleyes:

Less than 12 months and you pay tax on it, from what I can gather....

how much tax are we talking about? Say for PC's & cameras.

Thanks,

Tex

Ya ya same thing my wife says ;)

Lol think I will take a laptop with and send the LCD monitor along on the ship. Buy a new desktop in Oz and use it on a lcd tv until the ship arrives, wot ya think? :D

how much tax are we talking about? Say for PC's & cameras.

Thanks,

Tex

Erm... erm... no idea ;)

Hi guys!

Just want to know if my pc is practically new, would I have to pay some kind of import duty?

Thanx M

OK, for the facts on FIRST TIME immigrants see this website for more details: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4224

Here is an extract:

"Migrant concessions

As a first-time migrant or returning Australian resident, you are entitled to bring back with you to Australia, duty and GST free, all your personal and household effects that you have owned and used for the whole of the period of 12 months immediately preceding your departure for Australia.

Certain items are expressly excluded from the definition of "personal and household effects" and are subject to other requirements. These include:

motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts

caravans, boats and trailers

aircraft

machinery, plant and equipment

and fur apparel. "

So, according to this information, there would be no importation taxes on all 'personal & household effects' which by this definition would include PC's and cameras, for FIRST TIME IMMIGRANTS. First time immigrant is (I think - open to correction if I'm mistaken) the first time you arrive at an Australian port of entry with your permanent resident visa.

If you are not a first time immigrant, then (for US-USA travellers) there is duty payable on goods exceeding AUD900-. Here is the general info guide:

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resource...rTravellers.pdf

Tex

Edited by Tex

"that you have owned and used for the whole of the period of 12 months immediately preceding your departure for Australia."

That would rule out my pc then.

Edited by Mauritzvw

I like your idea of using the tv :blush: Sounds like a really workable solution. It is so much fun working on such a big screen :D

Ps I have some links for pc shops in the General section under shopping sites. Hope it helps.

"that you have owned and used for the whole of the period of 12 months immediately preceding your departure for Australia."

I think your PC would be exempt from import duties. Computer equipment is not listed on the "excluded" list.

"

Certain items are expressly excluded from the definition of "personal and household effects" and are subject to other requirements. These include:

motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts

caravans, boats and trailers

aircraft

machinery, plant and equipment

and fur apparel. "

"

Even if all import duties are waived (as above) it remains that your hard-earned cash will be able to buy you more PC in Australia than in South Africa, so it may be wise to delay upgrades etc until in Oz.

Tex

Edited by Tex

You have to pay duty on a washing machine that is newer than 12 months, so I think you would have to do the same for a computer.

Quite correct yes! I will wait till Oz before I upgrade, was going to use some of my existing components but might as well go all new :ilikeit:

Will have a look at those links thanx :ilikeit:

i highly doubt customs would go to the extent of proving your pc is less than 12 months old for you to pay tax on it. "oh sorry, i dont have the reciept, i bought it off a mate" simple as that.

regardless though, i'd sell it, and buy a new one here. parts are insanely cheap over here.

i highly doubt customs would go to the extent of proving your pc is less than 12 months old for you to pay tax on it. "oh sorry, i dont have the reciept, i bought it off a mate" simple as that.

regardless though, i'd sell it, and buy a new one here. parts are insanely cheap over here.

I thought so as well to be honest especially if your case is not brand new :) I guess if I buy over there it is better and faster than waiting :whome:

I thought so as well to be honest especially if your case is not brand new :thumbdown: I guess if I buy over there it is better and faster than waiting :thumbdown:

and you'll have a warranty.