What is a 'slice'?

polly

give us some more info...

what was the recipe for?

Not a slice of ............., like a noun?

Never heard of that before.

One person wanted to take a slice to work but was looking for gluten free bread. Another had used half a tin of condensed milk for her slice. (no recipe or I would have tried to figure it out for longer ;))

Was this an Australian recipe forum?

I must be honest, I am a "cooker" of note and never heard of it!

Sounds like a sandwich or slice of bread ~ strange. ;):ilikeit:

Well, you live and learn, so hope I'm gonna get to hear what it is...

Anyone?

Hi Polly

Just guessing, but can it be a "custard slice"? I know some people use condensed milk with the custard to improve the consistency of the filling. That might be it??

FYI: Apparently they (Australians) (hopefully I will be included in the "they" one day soon) refer to custard slice as "snot blocks" (due to the consistency of the filling!!!). Imagine!! Had quite a good laugh when I saw that a while back on the forum. (PS: Don't know whether I would be able to refer to a custard slice as a snot block once in Oz. Ek gril my dood.)

Good luck

Try things like

Hedgehog Slice

Caramel Slice

Apricot Slice

Chocolate/Caramel Slice

Pepermint Slice

FYI: Apparently they (Australians) (hopefully I will be included in the "they" one day soon) refer to custard slice as "snot blocks" (due to the consistency of the filling!!!). Imagine!! Had quite a good laugh when I saw that a while back on the forum. (PS: Don't know whether I would be able to refer to a custard slice as a snot block once in Oz. Ek gril my dood.)

My stomach heaved as I chuckled about that.

Yeach, sounds disgusting!

I have an australian weekly cooking book on biscuits and slices. It seems to be it is a kind of biscuit. Kind of like the jam slices that we used to make. baking sheet with dough at the bottom , jam on top and grated dough on top. There were some is pastry on the bottom, lemon filling and meringue on top. Then when baked you slice it into fingers and serve.

Al

Well, thanks for clearing that up for us Allison.

Feel free to post some of the recipes for us to try. :holy:

Then we can offer our Aussie friends a slice with morning tea.

Slightly off topic ----- when I was a kid at boarding school we used to refer to the lumpy apricot jam as Camel Snot (revolting I know but to this day wont even look at it let alone eat it!!!)

Thanks Allison! That clears it up. Now I don't have to look blank if I ever get offered a 'slice' :blink:

Eeeeuuuuwwww for all the snot!

Slightly off topic ----- when I was a kid at boarding school we used to refer to the lumpy apricot jam as Camel Snot (revolting I know but to this day wont even look at it let alone eat it!!!)

Marc K,

You conjured up an awful image of school sandwiches with that dreadful Sandwich Spread on them :blink: ! They were called Camel Kotch sarmies...to this day I can't eat that stuff, and even struggle with tartare sauce because of it...

DISGUSTING! Enough of the toilet talk. Think I'll have a coffee, wish I had a slice...

zorba

:rolleyes:

Hi

A slice is something that comes in ready cut pieces like brownies or crunchies or shortbread etc. I made crunchies for a school function once and everyone thanked me for the slice, thats how I learnt what it is.

Happy baking.

S

At playgroup the Aussies are bringing "slices" to go with the "cuppa" every week....as sa2aus says, just some cake/biscuit/whatever cut into portions beforehand.