mosquitoes in PERTH

Andie

Can anyone from Perth honestly tell me how bad

the mozzie problem is

and is there any specific locations to live in PERTH ( and elsewhere )

which are best and worst in this regard??

I believe its bad in Adelaide and QLD....any comparisions??????????????

pleeeeeeeeezzzzzzz :D

THANKS

Andie,

It is no more of a problem than it was for us in Pretoria. If any the flies are more of a irration than the mozzies.

Leon

Hmmmm well, I don't live in Perth but my best friend does. Obviously we are in regular contact and last year we went to visit them, only spent 4 days in Perth. I didn't ask about mozzies but one night we were having a braai (December month) and they told me about the flies. Apparently it is unbelievable as in(quoting my friend): "hubby and I were walking on the beach and out of the blue came this swarm of flies...his back was black with flies so bad that I couldn't see his skin... we had to run home whilst swatting all around us". I really thought that she was talking nonsense but then several other people confirmed how bad it gets.

But as I say... nobody ever mentioned the mozzies.

Chat later :D

Op daai onderwerp: mens kry 'n produk hier wat jy aanspuit en wat die muskiete en vliëe weghou - glo my dit werk! Die vliëe sal nog steeds om jou vlieg, maar nie op jou sit nie! Aeroguard (Tropical Strength, mens kry ander geure ook, het dit nog nie probeer nie, so weet nie hoe effektief dit is nie) Dit is so $8 'n groot blik by supermarkte en duurder by apteke en by toerisme winkels soos by strande ens. Ek het 'n redelike sensitiewe vel - jeuk maklik van goed wat op my vel kom en iets snaaks in het, maar hierdie is 100%

• 2 weeks later...

I've read recently that mosquitoes are responsible for the tourism industry in Reunion grinding to a halt. The French have even sent troops in to carry out anti mosquito spraying.

"The culprit: Aedes albopictus, the Asian tiger mosquito.....The ailment is called chikungunya, a name that derives from the Swahili for "that which bends up." The term is apt, because the virus causes arthritis-like swelling of the joints, causing the patient to be stooped over with pain. "

Cases have also been reported in Mauritius, Seyschelles, Madagascar, Japan and the USA. Apparently it spreads quite easily by Trading Ships.

There are so many different kinds of Mozzies; I prefer all of them to stay clear of me.

• 3 weeks later...

Living in Perth, and not finding the mozzies or flies as bad as people originally predicted, yes the flies can be annoying, but I seem to take it as it comes.

Don't know how many others have experienced the following: In SA, my son and I were usually covered in mozzie bites, no amount of tabbard, or peaceful sleep helped, but my hubby and daughter got off scot free. Here tho, they have to put on aerogaurd when they go out, and the mozzies leave us alone! :ilikeit:

We also found that mosquito's don't bite everyone - my husband's usually the target. We can sit next to each other and I won't get a single bite, whereas he gets bitten all evening, ending up looking like a serious case of measles!