Dress code

sunflower

Hi all,

I realise this may seem like a silly question but.....

What do most (IT) people wear to work in Perth? Is it casual or smart?

I ask this question because, I have been working in Cape Town for the last 10 years, and have always gotten away with jeans and a golf shirt. In fact I only own jeans!

We are leaving for Perth soon, and I'm hoping for a project manager level position there. I'm just having a mild panic about whether or not I should be rushing out and buying some more formal clothes. any and all advice from those who have already landed would be appreciated.

TIA,

sunflower

Hi Sunflower

Not too sure about Perth but I am sure someone on this forum will be able to fill you in!!! I am in Brisbane and you basically get a mix here. Most of the IT divisions work in fairly casual office attire and some more higher level positions might call for a shirt and tie. It depends a lot on the company you will work for. My suggestion - buy a few things as you will need to dress up for the interview stages anyway - and clothes are much cheaper in SA!!! I work in much more formal wear than I was used to in SA, but the industry I am in calls for that (would also prefer to live in my jeans!!)

Cheers

Rialet

My hubby is in IT in Perth and works shifts. Day shift they wear normal work pants with neat work shirt (short or long sleeve), no tie required. and on night shift ....jeans and t-shirt is fine.

Lindy-Lee

:holy:

My hubby is in IT in Perth and works shifts. Day shift they wear normal work pants with neat work shirt (short or long sleeve), no tie required. and on night shift ....jeans and t-shirt is fine.

Lindy-Lee

;)

I'm also from Cape Town and in the IT industry (software developer). I'm been living in boardshorts and slops for the past 3 years :blush: ...some people have all the luck hey... :holy:

Lindy-Lee....what line of IT is your hubby in?

Lindy-Lee....what line of IT is your hubby in?

He is a mainframe operator, been for about 15 years. AND we are also from CT :holy:

Lindy-Lee

;)

Hi all,

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought about what to wear at an interview! Yikes, it's been over 12 years since my last interview. Packing stress has now been surplanted by interview anxiety....Will I actually get to sleep tonight?

Best wishes to all,

sunflower