457 vs PR

Nog Een

Hello fellow forum addicts!

I know that there had been numerous threads concerning 457 visas and applying for PR while working on a 457 but please bear with me here as this is a specific inquiry.

I am also asking on behalf of a friend who is busy applying for skilled migration.

1. My friend consulted with a migration agent for skilled migration recently. The issue is that he has a trade qualification and worked for a short while in that trade environment after obtaining the qualification. He however started working in telecommunications some years ago which is also in electronics but not specifically relevant to that trade qualification. He was hoping that he could apply with the telecommunictions job experience and still get some credit for the trade qualification as the recent years of telecommunications work experience would be the easiest to prove. He was then told that he should rather apply for the trade qualification and related occupation as it is on the Immediate Skills Shortages List while the telecommunications occupation is on the Skilled Occupations List but is not listed under immediate shortage.

And this is the question; apparently you will not be granted migration if the occupation is not listed as being in the Immediate Skills Shortages List even if your occupation is a listed occuppation.

2. I am currently applying for a 457 for employment in telecommunications after finding a sponsor in Australia. My plan is to apply for PR while being over on the 457. My friend's situation therefore has a direct impact on my situation too. What happens if I apply for PR while working in an occupation that is not on the Immediate Skills Shortages List?

A. Is this true about the listed occupations and migration approval?

B. In my case, if my occupation is a not a shortage when I apply for PR I might have to return after the 457 expired?

I would appreciate feedback and experience of similar situations and outcomes

Thanks a lot.

A.