Brisbane

Beach bum

Greetings all

Hope this finds you all enjoying the sunshine and rugby.

I was refered to this site from Rainbow

My wife and I are looking at moving from Canada to Australia ASAP, I believe there is a lot of work for electricians and nurses, we are both qualified ( SA Qualifcations).

I understand that an exam has to be taken to work in Queensland as an electrician, does anyone know if this exam can be written outside of Australia?

Is it easier to be in Australia to find a work permit or has anyone had success in applying from outside Australia?

Lastly we are looking for a Durban type climate close to the beach. As I am an avid fisherman and would like to find that if possible.

Any info or idea's on how to go about it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi Beach Bum :)

Welcome to the forum!

I can't answer your question on the exam for electricians but there are a few people electricians on the forum so hopefully one of them can shed some light.

As far as a work permit is concerned, you will need to find a company willing to sponsor you and only then will you be able to work here, unless you qualify for permanent residence in which case you can apply offshore for the visa and once it's granted you can come over and look for work. If you look here you will see that both registered nurses and electricians are on the occupations in demand list so I'm sure you will have no trouble either way.

If you're looking for a Durban type climate close to the beach then the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast would be ideal for you. The climate and lifestyle are very similar to Durbs so I'm sure you would feel right at home. :)

Edited by Jules

Hi Beach Bum

Join us on the Gold Coast. Half of Durban is already here!

Very,very similar to Durbs. Check out :

www.gonefishing.net.au

Hi Beach Bum,

We are from Warner Beach, Durban, and will shortly be settling on the Gold Coast. We have travelled alot in Australia and Brisbane/Gold Coast is alot like Durban. People are more laid back and the place has a definite Durban feel, that's why we chose Gold Coast because it feels like home.

As far as the Electrical licence goes you have to be living in Queensland to be issued with a Queensland Electrical Licence. We are going over on a 457 sponsored visa and even though the company are doing all the paperwork etc, when hubby returned his licence application they sent us a letter stating you have to be residing in Queensland and have a residential address in Queensland, before they can issue you with an electrical licence. As I said though that is Queensland, have no idea but assume the other states are the same.

Hope that helps

Colton

Thanks all,

Now thats what I am talking about. Just checked the Gold coast out on the web and it looks similar to Durbs beach front. Actually better...

Just need to find a company willing to sponsor and all will be set.

Thanks again and good luck,

Beach bum