Free IVF

SANZOZ

Hi there

I am currently in NZ but possibly moving to Oz in the near future. We are not sure what visa it will be on yet, but does anyone know whether Oz provides free or subsidised IVF treatments? Also, would you need to have PR or would you be able to get it on a 457 visa?

Any links you can point me to regarding IVF treatments in Australia would be helpful!

Thanks!

Hi SANZOZ

Let me guess: South Africa, New Zealand, Oz - how am I am discephering avatars??

On your question:

If you are on a 457, you are not entitled to Medicare (govt sponsored med aid) BUT you can get private medical aid through one of the private firms. This sets you back quite a bit though - we did this for 2 months (before PR came through) and it set us back $200 a fortnight. That's a whopping $400 a month, which is a huge chunk of cash. This was for myself and hubby, no kids, both just turned 30. I'm not sure if the prices change with age, and I assume it will be more if you've already got kids.

Once your PR comes through, I'm not sure about govt sponsored IVF - I haven't heard of that, and I am tempted to say it wouldn't be. We have just added some private healthcare onto our PR Medicare (govt one) just to make it a bit more comprehensive. AGain - then you've got some choice. You can opt for various packages. For the two of us the most expensive one, which included the IVF, came to approx $95 every forthnight. This was at HBF. Then there are cheaper packages (obviously benefits are less) that you can take, that don't opt for IVF - they vary from $57 -$89.

I hope that helps. Good luck - are you here yet, or still in the planning/stressing phase. You have all my sympathy and prayers - that's the hardest part of all!!

:thumbdown:

L

Thanks for the responses guys.

We are in Auckland at the moment. Still not 100% sure if my husband is getting the job but it looks hopeful so far. We can get free IVF here and I am approaching my mid 30's so time is of the essence.. but I dont mind waiting another couple of months while applying for PR. Would it be quicker if you have a 457 and are in Sydney while applying???

I don't know if it really is quicker... our timing coincided with the timing when the PR was supposed to come through anyway, wherever we were in the world.

I have heard rumours from others that are here already that the PR does come faster if you are here on a 457 - but I can't vouch for the truth in that.

If you come on a 457 though, and you are pregnant, doesn't that make you "wait" with the PR till you've given birth? I'm not a buff on this, but check it out on the forum... if you do a search I'm sure something along those lines may pop up.

Good luck with the decision!!

I dont think thats something we really need to worry about. Not a huge chance of falling pregnant without IVF. And I would definitely rather wait for PR to do that. Of course Murphy has a strange way of messing with our plans :thumbdown:

We paid about $280 a month for 4 of us on private healthcare. We have applied for PR while we are on our 457 and once our PR application was acknowledged we got medicare so we have changed our healthcare package.

As far as IVF goes but on Tuesday there was a segment on it on ABC radio, maybe you can get a transcript from their web. All i can say is don't give up and stop stressing, it will all come together.

I battled to fall pregnant for 5 years and the whole programme was about how ignorant Aussies are about falling pregnant and they don't know about Insulin Resistance, affects of drinking and smoking, weight, timing etc it was really interesting.

I know IVF was also discussed on a previous thread and a few of the ladies have gone through it, maybe they can help a bit more with your questions.

Good Luck

s

True, you pay $400 for personal medical aid (Pretty much on par with Discovery in South Africa) if you're not on PR. If you are on PR, you get free Medicare though your 'saving' of $400 will probably be sucked up by the additional tax you pay! So it shouldn't have a financial impact really!

Hi

You can contact HBF by email - just look up the website; they answer within a day or two. Ask them what options they have for IVF. They have very long waiting periods for most procedures, even a two months wait for accidents and emergencies, so we are getting travel insurance from Discovery for the first two months to cover emergencies as well. We are going on a 457 so have to take out what they call overseas visitors cover.

Hope it helps!

D

Hi

There are many options available in Australia. As far as we know, it is mostly covered under medicare for up to 10 cycles, plus you might need some private medical fund. Do some research through google, but one place is called queensland fertilty group - www.qfg.com.au. On their site is states the following:

Today, infertility treatment is more affordable than ever before. At Queensland Fertility Group most of our IVF patients with private health fund cover have an out of pocket expense of less than $2500 after one standard treatment cycle. Medicare rebates, Medicare safety net refunds and private health insurance provide substantial financial support for couples requiring treatment. In addition to this, our innovative and successful approach to infertility treatment and sophisticated system for culturing human eggs and embryos ensures that our patients are having fewer cycles. A greater success rate equals lower costs for patients!

There is also many others for the various states.

From what I can see though, you have to be on Medicare. So a 457 visa wouldnt be helpful.

Im new to the Oz immigration thing so please let me know if I am totally wrong.

Think you are right, it is only when you are on PR and not on 457.

And there might be waiting periods for certain procedures.... How about trying to reach a RSA gynae via the forum?

D

Why would I want to reach an SA gynae? Sorry, perhaps I am missing something.

Also not sure?

SANZOZ, email queensland fertilty group and ask them. They are very helpful and will point you in the right direction, also will have info for Sydney.

Why would I want to reach an SA gynae? Sorry, perhaps I am missing something.

Sorry, my post was confusing! I meant one from RSA that might know how it works if you come from somewhere else - it could be a gynae from anywhere for that matter, I just thought that sometimes the locals don't know the rules for people on different visa's - but I'm sure some will. Hope you find the info you are looking for, would be great if you let us know the outcome as well.

D

Well I just gave Queensland Fertlity Group a ring and it seems that we would have to pay about $10500 per IVF cycle and I am not sure what could be claimed back from private medical aid. So not quite what I was hoping to hear.

A friend had both her kdis via IVF. 1st one when they were on temporary residents visa ...and the 2nd when they had PR, in both instances they had to pay.

No assistance fro Medicare or Private Health.....but things might have changed.

Good luck