"Australia is South Africa’s biggest threat"

Sparrow

That's a very good article. Well written, interesting and informative. I wonder who wrote it and what research it is based on? So much better than the usual emotive drivel that we tend to find on this topic... :thumbdown:

Hi Sparrow!

Interessante artikel! Onder watter groep sal julle val? Ons het al gewonder hoe dit met julle gaan en of julle al "ge-settle" het daar anderkant? En hoe gaan dit met kleinding?

Ons wag nou net vir ons huis om te verkoop voor ons die groot avontuur aanpak - hoop om vroeg in die nuwe jaar daar te wees. Ons het die koffietjie in Menlyn geniet! Moet weer so maak as ons daar is.

- Reinhardt & Christa

We are definitely in the 'unavailable to return' camp. The culture here is different, but we are learning to adopt it as our own.

Ironically, most ‘scatterlings’ feel that they are discriminated against in South Africa. Nee, is hulle ernstig :holy: ???? Wie sou ooit teen my wit vel diskrimineer in daardie land, en natuurlik sal dit ironies wees as ek weens al die werksaanbiedinge wat ek in SA gekry het, na hierdie werklose diskriminerende Australië sou kom. (werksaanbiedinge in 1999-2005 in SA - 1. Werksaanbiedinge in 1-5 November 2005 in Australië - ±10)

Australia....does not have the emotional attachment of South Africa in that it is not the place they would call home or feel patriotic about. They do not have strong cultural ties there and few friends or family.

Watter twak kan hulle nie kwytraak nie. Voel bleddie baie meer patrioties oor die land wat my 'n kans gee as oor die land wat sal lag as ek vermoor word....

Edited by otto

Now why am I not surprised? ;)

Like Otto, I am in the "unavailable to return camp".

There were three things that I missed about South Africa:

1. Family and friends. - Now all of my family and most of my really good friends have moved to New Zealand or Australia, so that pull has fallen away.

2. Wildlife. - If I feel a real need to see some African wildlife, I can go to Western Plains Zoo outside Dubbo in New South Wales.

3. The Drakensberg. - I suppose that is because Australian "mountains" are really just little pimples compared to those in South Africa. If I have a need to commune with nature in the mountains, New Zealand is only about three and a half hours' flight away.

So there isn't really anything to pull me back and with each passing day, there are more reasons to not return.

Larry,

And if you need to see a Security Complex a la S-Africa, you can also see that in Dubbo, spikes 'n all :rolleyes:

What variety of animals is that for? - The two legged variety or the four legged variety? :rolleyes:

Actually, an old university mate of mine lives in Dubbo. When I was last in Dubbo in January this year, we met up for a bit of a chin-wag. It seems that the indigenous people have been known to run riot in their favoured areas. The youths get frustrated and turn to crime. :rolleyes: