Oz Pvt Medical Aids

Karen-in-Brisbane

Hi - those already in Oz - How do you find the Pvt Medical aids there? Do they compare favourably to the SA ones... referring to benefits and members share for meds etc????

Is it costly of resonable?

Always a worry!

Hi - those already in Oz - How do you find the Pvt Medical aids there? Do they compare favourably to the SA ones... referring to benefits and members share for meds etc????

Is it costly of resonable?

Always a worry!

In my opinion you cannot compare them because you are not comparing apples with apples. The big difference here is there is Medicare which although on PR's get, is enough to make medical aid completely different. Unfortunately, the down side of Medicare is that it does not cover ambulance, optometry, nor dentistry and when it comes to surgical operations you get put on a waiting list which in some cases is months and months. So what medical aid in Aus does really does is make up for that short coming. Price wise check www.iselect.com.au for the cover that suits you.

I am on a company sponsored 457 visa and they provide a medical scheme from Australia Health Plans. (www.austhealth.com). I have just had the first need to visit a Dr and so far it has been pretty much the same as in RSA. I made an appointment at the Tea Tree Medical Centre (Adelaide, South Australia), it cost me $40 and X-rays cost $90. Will see tomorrow what the follow-up will cost. We then have to claim from them and I will shortly be able to comment on that (watch this space)..... ;)

In my opinion you cannot compare them because you are not comparing apples with apples. The big difference here is there is Medicare which although on PR's get, is enough to make medical aid completely different. Unfortunately, the down side of Medicare is that it does not cover ambulance, optometry, nor dentistry and when it comes to surgical operations you get put on a waiting list which in some cases is months and months. So what medical aid in Aus does really does is make up for that short coming. Price wise check www.iselect.com.au for the cover that suits you.

So you need private cover as well as Medicare...

How much does that cost.

Think we'll have to go the Medicare route only in the beginning and see how things look financially.

Kids are covered for dentistry on Medicare, aren't they?

How much does that cost.

Think we'll have to go the Medicare route only in the beginning and see how things look financially.

Hi Eva,

We have private medical insurance. It costs $350 pm, family cover with MBF. We have been advised by them to reduce our policy to cover "extras" only when we obtain PR (and get medicare). Will then be about $120 for family cover and includes all the "nasties" - eyes, teeth, orthodontist too!

In Botswana we paid PULA 650 and the company paid the same, covered EVERYTHING and was a good medical aid group. So it is a little more pricy here....

zorba

:rolleyes:

I am on a company sponsored 457 visa and they provide a medical scheme from Australia Health Plans. (www.austhealth.com). I have just had the first need to visit a Dr and so far it has been pretty much the same as in RSA. I made an appointment at the Tea Tree Medical Centre (Adelaide, South Australia), it cost me $40 and X-rays cost $90. Will see tomorrow what the follow-up will cost. We then have to claim from them and I will shortly be able to comment on that (watch this space)..... :rolleyes:

Strumfie, have been with AHP for almost 2 years. You will have no problems with them paying. They really are good and pay quickly.

How much does that cost.

Be aware that if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private cover you might be hit with an extra 1.5% tax.

Have a look at the www.choice.com.au for an independent review of 13 health funds. You may have to pay a subscription to access the report but an investment in Choice is well worth it. You will have access to all their reports on consumer goods, car insurance, you name it.

Be aware that if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private cover you might be hit with an extra 1.5% tax.

If you're on a 457 and have private cover, be sure to get an exemption certificate from medicare before you do your tax return and you will be refunded the levy that was automatically deducted with your tax.

zorba

:ilikeit: